Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I agree it's amateurish but equally I suspect Edwards has deliberately caused this. Potentially giving his 'word' knowing he would bail....I have no proof other than knowing what a shyster he has been across both sports in the past 

So you don't really know but you "suspect" something and refer to him as a "shyster" - can you back any of this up with facts?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

For Edwards, he is free to make the choice.

RUGBY UNION
Probably more money in most of the RU offers he'll get.
Familiarity with the job.
Uncritical media adulation.
Positive-minded fans.

RUGBY LEAGUE
Probably less money.
Having to get up to speed with cutting-edge SL-level coaching.
Media anonymity.
Huge weight of expectation as a club legend... something that worked out less than well for Kieron Cunningham.
Daily deliveries of envelopes full of dog poo from Oliver Clothesoff.

#BlameOliverClothesoff

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I can see plenty of blame going Edwards way. Yes, Wigan have been naive and amateurish not getting the contract in place but Edwards attended media events saying he had committed his future to Wigan. For me, this is a demonstration of a decision made and one he should have honoured. 

The only party today who is not sticking to the pre-contract agreement is Edwards. 

Who wins here? Depends whether you would prefer to be seen as amateurish or devious.  So no one wins.

Imagine if Wigan had carried all before them this season and, behind the scenes Lam had expressed an interest in carrying on. Do you think IL would be saying that, just because there was no written agreement, he would stand by his handshake no matter what?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Daily deliveries of envelopes full of dog poo from Oliver Clothesoff.

On the other hand, if Edwards continues Lam’s run of results he might receive a weekly hamper of goodies from OC (and maybe the odd one from me).   Swings and roundabouts ?

Understand the club believing Edwards on a hand shake and his word. But anyone with any sense, as soon as they'd received that handshake and agreement, a contract would have been drawn up and signed. Failure to do that is incredibly foolish.

Safe to say if Shaun Edwards doesn't sign for Wigan now, he'll never coach Wigan RLFC. Hope he realises that when thinking through his options.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Understand the club believing Edwards on a hand shake and his word. But anyone with any sense, as soon as they'd received that handshake and agreement, a contract would have been drawn up and signed. Failure to do that is incredibly foolish.

Safe to say if Shaun Edwards doesn't sign for Wigan now, he'll never coach Wigan RLFC. Hope he realises that when thinking through his options.

That's it then, his career is over!

32 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Imagine if Wigan had carried all before them this season and, behind the scenes Lam had expressed an interest in carrying on. Do you think IL would be saying that, just because there was no written agreement, he would stand by his handshake no matter what?

Yes, we could talk about what has happened or things we imagine would possibly have happened if circumstances changed. 

Would Edwards have been nailed on for the Wigan job next year if that commet hadn't wiped out all the dinosaurs?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

48 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Maybe. In the decade he has been in charge, he has been able to say a lot of truthful things about championships the team has won. Which is the hard currency of ownership.

You have lower standards than I thought EW. 

Honesty and integrity is pretty important where I come from. You dont get a free pass because of trophies.

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

On your last point bet he sheds a tear on the way to the bank with his RU money?

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

As a Wigan fan what were you expecting SE to be doing in between his job with Wales ending, which it now has, and taking up the Wigan role at some unspecified date?

His job with Wales hasn't ended and wont do until after the World Cup. I really haven't a clue what point you are even trying to make.

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I can see plenty of blame going Edwards way. Yes, Wigan have been naive and amateurish not getting the contract in place but Edwards attended media events saying he had committed his future to Wigan. For me, this is a demonstration of a decision made and one he should have honoured. 

The only party today who is not sticking to the pre-contract agreement is Edwards. 

Who wins here? Depends whether you would prefer to be seen as amateurish or devious.  So no one wins.

Certainly no one wins, but if Edwards has had several offers or interest (iirc he also refused to comment on a connection with England) I can understand why he wants to review before he commits.  

Lenegan can be blamed for not tying Edwards down in writing, Edwards cant then be blamed for using that freedom as an opportunity to weigh his options up.  Anyone who wants to make money out of their career would say the same.

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

I think Wigan have been naive in thinking that Edwards’ head wouldn’t be turned after the 6 Nations. They should have made him sign a contract as soon as he agreed to become head coach then announce it. Looks very bad of both Wigan and Edwards now.

This could be damaging for Wigan in the long run now, they have nothing in place for 2020, unless Lam turns Wigan’s fortunes around and signs a longer contract

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Certainly no one wins, but if Edwards has had several offers or interest (iirc he also refused to comment on a connection with England) I can understand why he wants to review before he commits.  

Lenegan can be blamed for not tying Edwards down in writing, Edwards cant then be blamed for using that freedom as an opportunity to weigh his options up.  Anyone who wants to make money out of their career would say the same.

Maybe. Some people have been successful and stuck to their word and fulfilled the promises they have made though.

It's not even as though we are talking about a player who has a finite amount of time in his playing career. Edwards has many years of coaching in front of him if he wants.

Success and morals are not mutually exclusive.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Damien said:

His job with Wales hasn't ended and wont do until after the World Cup. I really haven't a clue what point you are even trying to make.

There you go, your knowledge of RU is superior to mine.

(You used the expression "as a Wigan fan" in the same way that some say "as a vegetarian" or "as a Christian" - I was just chucking it back to you in jest. That is allowed on forums I am led to believe.)

3 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

This could be damaging for Wigan in the long run now, they have nothing in place for 2020, unless Lam turns Wigan’s fortunes around and signs a longer contract

Flanagan or, dare I say it, Furner?

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Maybe. Some people have been successful and stuck to their word and fulfilled the promises they have made though.

It's not even as though we are talking about a player who has a finite amount of time in his playing career. Edwards has many years of coaching in front of him if he wants.

This is true Maurice. ?

3 minutes ago, longboard said:

This is true Maurice. ?

I don't really know what this is in reference to.

But I cannot stand this assumption that you are allowed to be dishonest or devious if you want to be successful which suggests that honesty and integrity cannot be a part of a successful career.

2019 will throw up a few coaching options for Wigan. Flanagan has already been mentioned earlier in the thread.. Anthony Griffin left Penrith last season. Don't think he's got a club yet. How long can parramatta continue to under perform before Brad Arthur's job starts to look shakey?.. and I'm sure some other names will get thrown around also.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I wonder how many highly successful businessmen and women have always stuck to their word when it comes to financial decisions.  It’s utter naievety to think that someone’s word or promises will not be broken in business and Lenegan, being a successful man, will know that more than most.

imo, if SE doesn’t go to Wigan, our game has lost an opportunity.  He now has vast experience on the international scene which would, again in my opinion, have been valuable for our national set up.

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

wonder how many highly successful businessmen and women have always stuck to their word when it comes to financial decisions.

Again, I still don't understand the assumption that success and honesty/integrity are incompatible. Maybe you have mixed with shadier characters than me.

12 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

It’s utter naievety to think that someone’s word or promises will not be broken in business and Lenegan, being a successful man, will know that more than most.

If he knows this more than most, why did he take Edwards on his word and not tie him in with a water tight contract from day 1... that totally contradicts your conclusion.

12 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

imo, if SE doesn’t go to Wigan, our game has lost an opportunity.  He now has vast experience on the international scene which would, again in my opinion, have been valuable for our national set up.

Agreed.

Archived