Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep but always been a tool as a person

00cbfd695ec0f3180186644cc1929034.gif

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Understand the club believing Edwards on a hand shake and his word. But anyone with any sense, as soon as they'd received that handshake and agreement, a contract would have been drawn up and signed. Failure to do that is incredibly foolish.

Safe to say if Shaun Edwards doesn't sign for Wigan now, he'll never coach Wigan RLFC. Hope he realises that when thinking through his options.

As a Saints fan who remembers the Shelford affair this is great.

Karma, Kismit etc etc 

Shame we dont still have the middle 8s

Not that I hold a grudge or anything like that 

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

You have lower standards than I thought EW. 

Honesty and integrity is pretty important where I come from. You dont get a free pass because of trophies.

Dave, I hold your views in the highest esteem, and hope we can find some common ground here. My defence of IL is based on a wider perspective of what he has done at London and at Wigan. He has invested his own money over a long period of time into developing clubs and players - juniors, women’s teams, speculative signings and attempts to enter new markets. He did a lot for London, and has given us a golden era at junior and senior levels. He has invested heavily in community development. 

Ha can be opinionated and indeed get things wrong, but his actions show what he has personally contributed to our game, and would hold our club under his stewardship up as an example to many others as to how to spend money to develop roots and grow the game. If you look at many other clubs - exempting your own from this - they fall far short of that level of commitment to the wider game. 

Give me a gob—-te who does masses of good over a smooth operator who uses the club to satisfy his own ego any day. I genuinely believe there is far more in the credit column than the debit column, even with such matters as the salary cap issue. I am also firmly on wigan’s side in the dispute which is the subject matter of this thread, as I have argued above. 

Sometimes I would prefer a Moran or a McManus in charge - any club would, but he puts his money to good use even if his mouth betrays him.

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Again, I still don't understand the assumption that success and honesty/integrity are incompatible. Maybe you have mixed with shadier characters than me.

If he knows this more than most, why did he take Edwards on his word and not tie him in with a water tight contract from day 1... that totally contradicts your conclusion.

Agreed.

Yes, another assumption.

Bit silly this.  The exact details, we do not wholly know.  Lenegan hasn’t publicly condemned SE either.

Its not a case of mixing with shadier characters at all.  Its really, quite simple.  Unless someone is tied into a legal contract then they have free choice.  Whether the verbal ‘agreement’ is legally binding or not, we don’t know.  Edwards can choose what he wants to do based on that.

My comment regarding a Lenegan was based on him being a high level businessman.  If he’s relied on Edwards word, then he will have known that could have been broken - for whatever reason.  In business, that can backfire and it seems it has.  

9 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Dave, I hold your views in the highest esteem, and hope we can find some common ground here. My defence of IL is based on a wider perspective of what he has done at London and at Wigan. He has invested his own money over a long period of time into developing clubs and players - juniors, women’s teams, speculative signings and attempts to enter new markets. He did a lot for London, and has given us a golden era at junior and senior levels. He has invested heavily in community development. 

Ha can be opinionated and indeed get things wrong, but his actions show what he has personally contributed to our game, and would hold our club under his stewardship up as an example to many others as to how to spend money to develop roots and grow the game. If you look at many other clubs - exempting your own from this - they fall far short of that level of commitment to the wider game. 

Give me a gob—-te who does masses of good over a smooth operator who uses the club to satisfy his own ego any day. I genuinely believe there is far more in the credit column than the debit column, even with such matters as the salary cap issue. I am also firmly on wigan’s side in the dispute which is the subject matter of this thread, as I have argued above. 

Sometimes I would prefer a Moran or a McManus in charge - any club would, but he puts his money to good use even if his mouth betrays him.

All fair points EW, and my point wasn't about how successful he is, and I am certainly not suggesting he shouldn't be in charge or anything, but I think it is fair to call out his dishonesty and outright incompetence when it is on show.

It's a little like the Ben Westwood discussion last week, I think he has plenty of credit in the bank, but it doesn't stop him being a bell end for getting sent off for a headbutt. 

Where IL Need a to be careful is to not make the bad sides of his characterbor performance become too visible and too common, because people are quick to forget the good stuff and call for their head.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, another assumption.

Bit silly this.  The exact details, we do not wholly know.  Lenegan hasn’t publicly condemned SE either.

Its not a case of mixing with shadier characters at all.  Its really, quite simple.  Unless someone is tied into a legal contract then they have free choice.  Whether the verbal ‘agreement’ is legally binding or not, we don’t know.  Edwards can choose what he wants to do based on that.

My comment regarding a Lenegan was based on him being a high level businessman.  If he’s relied on Edwards word, then he will have known that could have been broken - for whatever reason.  In business, that can backfire and it seems it has.  

I have thought it through and I think you are right. Most of the senior people and board members I have worked with would have done what Edwards has done if the same situation arose. To be honest I wouldn't trust any of them.

I wouldn't have renaged on the deal and I guess I was projecting that.

I still maintain you can be successful and trustworthy though... although I admit a lot are not. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I have thought it through and I think you are right. Most of the senior people and board members I have worked with would have done what Edwards has done if the same situation arose. To be honest I wouldn't trust any of them.

I wouldn't have renaged on the deal and I guess I was projecting that.

I still maintain you can be successful and trustworthy though... although I admit a lot are not. 

I’m haven’t mentioned being trustworthy and successful.

Lenegan said they had a signed contract, then said it was only a handshake and that he took full responsibility.  

Since all this, the Welsh RU Exec plus the new Coach have issued comments in that the door is far from closed with Wales.  IMO and I repeat, Edwards would be a loss to our game, so I’m hoping Lenegan can entice him in.

18 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I’m haven’t mentioned being trustworthy and successful.

Lenegan said they had a signed contract, then said it was only a handshake and that he took full responsibility.  

Since all this, the Welsh RU Exec plus the new Coach have issued comments in that the door is far from closed with Wales.  IMO and I repeat, Edwards would be a loss to our game, so I’m hoping Lenegan can entice him in.

Wales won the 6 nations in spite of the odds based yet again on Edwards input. His stock is high in RU , who pay the earth. The street has it he wants the England Head coach job after Jones , and already has a deal to return to Wasps in his top pocket. Wigan are a sad third...........

It might strike someone more cynical than me that Shaun Edwards is trying to play RU and RL off against each other in order to secure the highest possible terms and conditions for the next few years.

As long as he doesn't come to the Bulls, I couldn't give a monkeys where he ends up.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

3 hours ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

Verbal agreement with handshake : it's not nothing !

It's a matter of honor.

If not, it's just about money ?

Twisting my quote Jean.  Another poster from France does that too.

Lenegan states they had a signed contract, then said it was only verbal, not both as you state.  

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

has anyone thought he might be quite happy and content with life just the way he has it? work, family and personal.

No but I am!

There are a few lessons for Wigan which I've no doubt they'll learn but primarily nostalgia is fine when it's in the past.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 hours ago, del capo said:

Wigan are a sad third...........

He's only going for the England RU job because he doesn't think he's good enough for Wigan. :cool:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

think my wife has got the last word on this one - "I don't wanna see his face on our telly all the time, that's one ugly looking bloke for his age, cant they get a better looking one? "

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 3/24/2019 at 5:53 AM, EastLondonMike said:

2019 will throw up a few coaching options for Wigan. Flanagan has already been mentioned earlier in the thread.. Anthony Griffin left Penrith last season. Don't think he's got a club yet. How long can parramatta continue to under perform before Brad Arthur's job starts to look shakey?.. and I'm sure some other names will get thrown around also.

Parramatta are doing fine.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/live-scores/ladder

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived