Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

On 3/21/2019 at 8:44 AM, TBone said:

With Wales winning the 6N and Grand Slam SE’s stock is high now. So, IMO this is the time to find his best deal, waiting for the WC to finish is a big risk but maybe he’ll insist on an England RU release clause just in case.

Is it? He's a speciality coach and nothing more, one championship win in how many years and that's a bit part of a bigger team. He's been automatically shunned by the incoming coach as surplus to requirement.

IMHO it looks a bit like he thought he was going to get an extension on his contract, if it's as said he knew the incoming coach wasn't going to take him up then surely he'd have touted himself around a while back and got a job to go to and committed to it, not leaving it to last minute and effectively be out of a job? Surely he won't have waited to see what was going to happen in the 6N finale or even the WC before making his move??

Several things spring to mind, there's a discussion about the Wigan job, but Edwards is hedging his bets for a better job in onion, but either someone is telling fibs and he's tucked himself up by indicating one thing and others in union thinking this was him committing to the job, and could be why he's no actual offer of a job as rightly or wrongly they think he's going to Wigan. If that isn't the case and people genuinely thought he was available then it doesn't look on the face of it that anyone actually wants to offer him a job post 6N, so to me it's not looking like his 'stock' is all that high at all, particularly given the 'confusion' over his availability/commitments. 

EDIT: Just seen the Wasps offer, but that's because Edwards has now said he wasn't committed to Wigan at all, it's a merry dance for sure. And on that note I'm out, I hope Edwards gets what he deserves, and I hope for Wigan's sake they wash their hands of him, nice get out by stating they're offering him more time to decide but they've been made to look like idiots by their former player, best shot of him tbh and look elsewhere to someone that really does want to be at the club, that's clearly not Edwards as I said previously!

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless Edwards has been given a tip off that he'd be a definite possibility for the England union job, i see he's real dilemma being whether he wants the challenge of coaching in RL at a decent level or remaining in a much more familiar role, and staying in union. Coaching Wasps is no real challenge, at least not one he hasn't faced previously in union.

You wouldn't have thought money would be a motivating factor (maybe it is, who knows..) so i see the real decision for him around whether he wants to come out of his comfort zone.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

30 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Unless Edwards has been given a tip off that he'd be a definite possibility for the England union job, i see he's real dilemma being whether he wants the challenge of coaching in RL at a decent level or remaining in a much more familiar role, and staying in union. Coaching Wasps is no real challenge, at least not one he hasn't faced previously in union.

You wouldn't have thought money would be a motivating factor (maybe it is, who knows..) so i see the real decision for him around whether he wants to come out of his comfort zone.

I expect money is a huge motivating factor. These guys are ok financially, but aren't necessarily set for life.

He may get paid double for example with RU, that is a major decision.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I expect money is a huge motivating factor. These guys are ok financially, but aren't necessarily set for life.

I don't have a problem at all with anybody taking a job that may be double another offer he had.

I do have a problem with somebody publically announcing that they have accepted a job offer and then walking away from it though. Whether this is in the media or on LinkedIn.

If you do this, you have to accept the flak that comes your way.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't have a problem at all with anybody taking a job that may be double another offer he had.

I do have a problem with somebody publically announcing that they have accepted a job offer and then walking away from it though. Whether this is in the media or on LinkedIn.

If you do this, you have to accept the flak that comes your way.

indeed. He has pretty much shown his standards.

3 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Wasps haven't got megabucks; they've lost some top players for next season.

Wasps are just flying a kite.  But then again so is everyone else on here ... everyone just pressing on with their own petty jealousies and prejudices. 

Just grow up, all it shows up is how small RL is compared with Union.  Sad but true. Does anybody south of Warrington who reads the papers, or the BBC, know the name of the Wakefield coach? Do they know the name of the Welsh RL coach?  

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

But then again so is everyone else on here ... everyone just pressing on with their own petty jealousies and prejudices.

I have not read this thread that way at all. Most people have discussed quite sensibly the situation Wigan and Edwards are in and offered (sometimes differing) views on the professional behavior from both sides. 

Of course there are differences of opinion but there are not too many that I can see showing petty jealousy or prejudice.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

He did say last year, during the presser to announce the deal, that he was taking a risk (coming back to RL) and that he could earn a lot more in RU. I cannot see him coming back.

Which is a real shame as he could have been a positive thing for both Wigan and the game of RL. The sport needs a sprinkling of stardust and Edwards could have been the man to bring it. I think Lenegan has a lot of questions to answer over this, both from Wigan fans and the other chairs.

9 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

I don't think you can accuse Edwards of sitting in a comfort zone. He has worked very hard to achieve his reputation as a fine coach. 

40 minutes ago, JCXV said:

I don't think you can accuse Edwards of sitting in a comfort zone. He has worked very hard to achieve his reputation as a fine coach. 

He could only have set himself a bigger challenge had he been working with Weight Watchers full time. 

I can understand why he would treat RL and Wigan so badly and disdainfully they gave hime so very little.

The high regard he holds the Warriors and our sport in is self evident.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 minutes ago, Cake Tiger said:

I am still baffled as to why any SL club would want to appoint a coach who has not worked in RL for nearly 20 years. 

I brought this up about the time and he had a ground swell of support which I think is rather sweet. Had he been in tabletennis all this time I wonder if they'd have been so enthusiastic.

2 hours ago, JCXV said:

Eh?

Weight Watchers is a company who pretend they can help you lose weight but this is mostly achieved through carrying less money so you feel lighter. Hope that clears this up for you.

4 minutes ago, ojx said:

We would all do the same thing in his boots.

No I love RL too much and I've avoided big money this far.

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Mods can we close this thread now as all its doing is giving Edwards the oxygen of publicity, which he loves and bargaining chip to get more money

Who's Edwards? This thread is about Thingy Lydon isn't it? Or was Somebody Farrel?

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Mods can we close this thread now as all its doing is giving Edwards the oxygen of publicity, which he loves and bargaining chip to get more money

Wow! Didn't realise this forum topic was so popular and influential. 

Archived