Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

6 hours ago, ojx said:

Simple as:RL can't afford him, he can make much better cash in RU. We would all do the same thing in his boots. Wigan were the mugs for announcing this before it was 100%.

When Wigan announced this, was Edwards there? I can't remember. Or did he comment?

If he wasn't, then yes Wigan were complete mugs. If he was, and he's discussed it with the media as if he was going, then that is poor form by him and no we wouldn't all do the same. I'd like to think most of us would stick to our agreements if discussing them publicly.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

When Wigan announced this, was Edwards there? I can't remember. Or did he comment?

If he wasn't, then yes Wigan were complete mugs. If he was, and he's discussed it with the media as if he was going, then that is poor form by him and no we wouldn't all do the same. I'd like to think most of us would stick to our agreements if discussing them publicly.

He seemed to be aware of the situation.

skysports-shaun-edwards-wigan-warriors_4613632.jpg

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He seemed to be aware of the situation.

skysports-shaun-edwards-wigan-warriors_4613632.jpg

The only unknown is why no contract was signed at the point of this announcement. This could be due to either party and I doubt we’ll ever know who was at fault at the time. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Wow! Didn't realise this forum topic was so popular and influential. 

Have you considered the possibility that Edwards started the thread himself?   Careful manipulation of the media to double his value ?

Might try it myself if I decide to change jobs! 

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Have you considered the possibility that Edwards started the thread himself?   Careful manipulation of the media to double his value ?

so you think he came on and thought...

what should my username be? i could use anything, anything at all as long as it isnt Shaun Edwards no one will ever guess.... I know Chris22...

If thats his sort of imagination then I think Wigan are well shot of him... what sort of plays to break down their defence boss? I dunno, miss 1, maybe a nice simple scissors.. that should do the job!

:ninja:

12 minutes ago, RP London said:

so you think he came on and thought...

what should my username be? i could use anything, anything at all as long as it isnt Shaun Edwards no one will ever guess.... I know Chris22...

If thats his sort of imagination then I think Wigan are well shot of him... what sort of plays to break down their defence boss? I dunno, miss 1, maybe a nice simple scissors.. that should do the job!

I thought registering in 2014 was the real masterstroke by Shaun.

That is forward thinking.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I thought registering in 2014 was the real masterstroke by Shaun.

That is forward thinking.

need to look back to see if his contract was up for renegotiation just before the 2015 world cup though... he could just be rehashing an old idea..... the plot thickens... dirty dirty union tactics 

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Apart from the publicity at the time which Shaun was fully involved in. There was also virtually a full episode of golden point that he was on which was dedicated to how it would work with Lam this year and then Shaun taking over. 

19 hours ago, foozler said:

He did say last year, during the presser to announce the deal, that he was taking a risk (coming back to RL) and that he could earn a lot more in RU. I cannot see him coming back.

Which is a real shame as he could have been a positive thing for both Wigan and the game of RL. The sport needs a sprinkling of stardust and Edwards could have been the man to bring it. I think Lenegan has a lot of questions to answer over this, both from Wigan fans and the other chairs.

It might have seemed to Wigan fans that he was going to be a bit of 'stardust' but is that actually true for RL as a whole? A departmental coach for a national team that's done well and a 2IC at Wasps under McGeechan.

Could he have done well with Wigan (and for me it's less likely he'll take up Wigan as his next job), well given the historical advantages that some clubs have over others there's a higher possibility of him doing well at Wigan than most other clubs anyways but I simply don't see that he offers anything more to RL as a whole. Similar to if Warrington or anyone else were to sign a good player like Ford from union. It might well be good for the individual club/s, but how does it sprinkle fairy dust on the sport as a whole, what else do they add to the sport other than a passing interest for a short period that x person has moved to a different sport?

You say he "could have been the man to bring it", what is 'it' exactly?? 

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

He's a high performance coach operating at world level with a team reputed to be one of the fittest in RU. The IP he would bring alone would be worth his salary nevermind the kudos of getting back a Wigan legend. Whoever recruits him will be getting a top sports coach at the top of his game.

There's an intensity about him that means he could have made a real impact, but I don't think we'll ever find out now.  Shame, I always sort of thought of him as on (long) loan to rugby union, but the landscape has changed since then.  Union's not all posh boys any more, the international scene has grown and everyone gets paid more.  They even score the odd try.

3 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

It might have seemed to Wigan fans that he was going to be a bit of 'stardust' but is that actually true for RL as a whole? A departmental coach for a national team that's done well and a 2IC at Wasps under McGeechan.

Could he have done well with Wigan (and for me it's less likely he'll take up Wigan as his next job), well given the historical advantages that some clubs have over others there's a higher possibility of him doing well at Wigan than most other clubs anyways but I simply don't see that he offers anything more to RL as a whole. Similar to if Warrington or anyone else were to sign a good player like Ford from union. It might well be good for the individual club/s, but how does it sprinkle fairy dust on the sport as a whole, what else do they add to the sport other than a passing interest for a short period that x person has moved to a different sport?

People go on about how there are no household names in English RL, and as a result the outside world knows nothing of the sport.

Whilst Edwards might not be known in every household in the land, he is certainly a very high profile figure in British sport and beyond. To that extent were he to move to RL with Wigan, I think it would be fair to say he would have the highest media profile of anyone involved in the sport, and I would like to think that profile could be managed not only for the benefit of the Wigan club, but for the wider sport of RL. There would be significant marketing opportunities around for example Shaun Edwards taking Wigan to a Challenge Cup final.

Personally, I think the ship has sailed on this one and the Wigan SMT have properly stuffed up.

3 hours ago, JCXV said:

He's a high performance coach operating at world level with a team reputed to be one of the fittest in RU. The IP he would bring alone would be worth his salary nevermind the kudos of getting back a Wigan legend. Whoever recruits him will be getting a top sports coach at the top of his game.

“Fittest in u——“ = fitter than a dart’s player, less fit than a sumo. 

1 hour ago, foozler said:

People go on about how there are no household names in English RL, and as a result the outside world knows nothing of the sport.

Whilst Edwards might not be known in every household in the land, he is certainly a very high profile figure in British sport and beyond. To that extent were he to move to RL with Wigan, I think it would be fair to say he would have the highest media profile of anyone involved in the sport, and I would like to think that profile could be managed not only for the benefit of the Wigan club, but for the wider sport of RL. There would be significant marketing opportunities around for example Shaun Edwards taking Wigan to a Challenge Cup final.

Personally, I think the ship has sailed on this one and the Wigan SMT have properly stuffed up.

We have not stuffed up. Even had he signed something, we wouldn’t have been able to hold him to it. He was cosying up to us as recently as the HAC game. He won’t join us, now or ever, and we will find a top class league coach, who will have pretty much the best league nursery in the country to draw on. It is an interesting story, for what it shows you about human nature, but matters hardly a jot in the scheme of things for the future of our club. 

8 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

We have not stuffed up. Even had he signed something, we wouldn’t have been able to hold him to it. He was cosying up to us as recently as the HAC game. He won’t join us, now or ever, and we will find a top class league coach, who will have pretty much the best league nursery in the country to draw on. It is an interesting story, for what it shows you about human nature, but matters hardly a jot in the scheme of things for the future of our club. 

Of course Wigan stuffed up. They have announced a coach for season 2020 and now nobody knows whether he will be there or not.

I admire your loyalty to Wigan and your desire to defend the club from criticism but sometimes you have to hold your hand up and say 'that was a c@$k up'.

Apart from anything else, if you were to he honest and admit a failure here it would make any future passionate defences of the club more authentic. 

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

Oh no doubts the Wigan job will attract a top class RL coach. But I think Wigan needs more than that, and your SMT seemed to acknowledge as much last summer during all the fanfare about Edwards' appointment.

The situation can be Campbell'd all you like but the SMT has stuffed up on this. I always got the impression that Lenegan was a shrewd businessman but he comes out of this looking a bit of an amateur.

Be interesting to see who is at Wigan next season.

12 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

As a Saints fans whose side has suffered a great deal at the hands of Edwards, that thought sends a bit of a shiver down my spine ?

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Rumour is Edwards is unhappy that Wigan haven’t recruited Richard Hunwicks (performance/fitness coach) from Catalans as they promised.

Surely Hunwicks would have a say in that, obvious bloody nonsense. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 hours ago, Chris22 said:

As a Saints fans whose side has suffered a great deal at the hands of Edwards, that thought sends a bit of a shiver down my spine ?

quiet shaun...:ninja:

Archived