Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having witnessed his performance as a summariser for Channel 5 RU yesterday, think we should be grateful. Complete with stupid hat, his sheer desperation to speak first every time and be the centre of attention was embarrassing. Even his co-presenters were giving him funny looks. Think Wigan have dodged a bullet. 

Hardly a surprise that he isn't coming to Wigan. It's taken so long I do hope that the club have a coach for 2020 and beyond lined up. There is a massive recruitment job to be done with Williams gone and certainly suspected that Leuluai and O'Loughlin may call it a day at the end of 2019.  

29 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

lucky escape for wigan, now to source a proper rl coach who actually has some experience of coaching an rl team

Or give Lam a chance to actually build something longer-term than a single season's performance.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Or give Lam a chance to actually build something longer-term than a single season's performance.

Exactly. The best club in the world can do better than Edwards.  Choose a Director Of Continued Success to  work with Lam to develop him and the current and future team, taking certain tasks from Lam (such as getting the players that Lam identifies, protecting Lam from Lenagan and the media and this forum's jealous naysayers as well as chairing the WDL.

4 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Having witnessed his performance as a summariser for Channel 5 RU yesterday, think we should be grateful. Complete with stupid hat, his sheer desperation to speak first every time and be the centre of attention was embarrassing. Even his co-presenters were giving him funny looks. Think Wigan have dodged a bullet. 

He wanted to be the the centre of attention when he played for the Bulls.

Without fail he would come out last for 2nd half and by more than a few seconds.

15 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

He wanted to be the the centre of attention when he played for the Bulls.

Without fail he would come out last for 2nd half and by more than a few seconds.

think its known as "little man syndrome"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, dkw said:

He's played Wigan and the union mob like a fiddle

He always threw a great dummy as a player, so nice to see he’s not lost his skill ?

In all seriousness though, like most people I don’t think he was the answer and I hope Wigan source a decent up and coming coach from RL.   Preferably British but as Saints and Warrington have shown, there’s some very good assistants in Aus too.

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

now to source a proper rl coach who actually has some experience of coaching an rl team

No, it's one of the same side who won all those trophies who's been coaching skateboarding for the last twenty years!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Personally I think the whole saga is getting Brexit like boring. Let's move on.

Oh come on!

The saga is the fun!

4 hours ago, dkw said:

He's played Wigan and the union mob like a fiddle, wonder how Improved his Wales contact is.... 

Well he's played Wigan a treat, the incoming Wales coach had apparently indicated he wanted a clearing of the decks, in all likelihood that probably changed since they won the 6N. Frankly though it would be extremely difficult to have no continuation within the coaching staff even IF they hadn't won and even more so since you were actually successful with that team. I get that when the main coach/manager leaves you want to have the people you want/picked around you but Edwards is easily manipulated in this scenario.

It's a comfort choice for him, he gets to stay at the level he's used to and players he's familiar with, he doesn't have to put himself massively out of his depth by taking on the Wigan role nor indeed being the coach at club level union. Which whilst he's done it before, he did it under a proper senior coach )AKA director of rugby).

This old boys coming back to coach is rarely ever a good thing IMHO, sure they can get lucky, they can buy their way to success like Radford did for our CC wins (that had a detrimental impact on the following seasons squads and youth development), but then we've had the odd CC win beforehand under other coaches with far fewer resources.

Is Anthony Griffin still without a club after leaving Penrith?..

Demetriou is highly thought of also, and no stranger to the English game.

Neil Henry?.. sure plenty of other names will get thrown around also.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

Choose a Director Of Continued Success

Is that an actual position or one you invented with a bit of theatrical license John? ?

There was a famous start-up airline in the US in the 80s called ‘People Express’.   They were pretty avant-grade with their ideas and decided that to inspire leadership every single member of staff would have the title of ‘xxxx manager’ with the xxxx being their own little area of responsibility whether it was cleaning or catering or whatever.

They lasted less than a year I think ??

Wigan just need a decent head coach with Lam as assistant.   If he learns well he’ll make the step up when ready.   If not then someone else will be available I’m sure.

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Shane Flanagan

Now that would be a good move so long as he's not in line for the Yawn job with Wales!

Archived