Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

I know there's a separate Shaun Edwards thread. But, here is the evidence he 'said' he was going. Clear as day. A HUGE loss for RL in my opinion, not just Wigan. And Im a Wire fan....i think we lost our best coaches of that decade to RU for various reasons.

I'd love to know what 'really' happened to change this. I don't for one minute believe it was a lack of official contractual offer from Lenighan. There's definately more to this given the clear language from Edwards that he was going. Watch the vid!

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/video-i-want-to-make-the-fans-happy-shaun-edwards-1-9293581?fbclid=IwAR0muPRMnNXCGJvQM9oAJvU_KvQu1Hu1IOc3MHqZ1jXdJs9qWtrYSPywxTM

Moderators, I know you may merge this with the Shaun Edwards thread, but felt it was too high evidence not to post separately.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, The British Lion said:

I know there's a separate Shaun Edwards thread. But, here is the evidence he 'said' he was going. Clear as day. A HUGE loss for RL in my opinion, not just Wigan. And Im a Wire fan....i think we lost our best coaches of that decade to RU for various reasons.

I'd love to know what 'really' happened to change this. I don't for one minute believe it was a lack of official contractual offer from Lenighan. There's definately more to this given the clear language from Edwards that he was going. Watch the vid!

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/video-i-want-to-make-the-fans-happy-shaun-edwards-1-9293581?fbclid=IwAR0muPRMnNXCGJvQM9oAJvU_KvQu1Hu1IOc3MHqZ1jXdJs9qWtrYSPywxTM

Moderators, I know you may merge this with the Shaun Edwards thread, but felt it was too high evidence not to post separately.

Its no loss, never liked Edwards as an individual - arrogant and aloof and has never shown any grattitude towards the game that made him - ditto Farrell.

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Did he play Wigan in order to get a better option w WRU?

No ! Of Course not he just thought this was the best way to thank the sport that gave him so little.

Brian Carney says take it  " ..with a pinch of salt!"   very charitable which people have tended to be in remembrance of things past.

image.png.b7d55b9379b9c44d88cbe785d835fd7d.png 

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Do we really need two threads discussing the same thing?

No we need four at least about the same topic,  Parky like Bob Hope needs a big room!

• John Drake changed the title to Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)
20 hours ago, Superb Chops said:

Good, if a little reserved, opinion piece in the Wigan Evening Post.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/shaun-edwards-saga-is-over-but-what-next-for-wigan-warriors-opinion-1-9712499

Seems SE didn't think his absence was an issue recently.

For this Wigan fan, I've lost all regard for a childhood hero and the club has stank the town out. It really will be the Long Good Friday.

This forum is always full of valuable information. Shaun Edwards says that:

“In the end, the game is still the same; there’s big men in the middle, you need two tricky halfbacks and on top that, you need a tricky hooker who will understand the game”

I dared to think the same myself, but feared it was caused by typical union snobbery or contempt. I still believe you are a bit over sensitive about your beloved game.

23 minutes ago, bobrock said:

This forum is always full of valuable information. Shaun Edwards says that:

“In the end, the game is still the same; there’s big men in the middle, you need two tricky halfbacks and on top that, you need a tricky hooker who will understand the game”

I dared to think the same myself, but feared it was caused by typical union snobbery or contempt. I still believe you are a bit over sensitive about your beloved game.

I thought with the right people around him Edwards could’ve been a superb coach. If he thinks the game is the same to coach as when he played he’s seriously kidding himself though. I’d wager NCL teams go into more detail coaching wise than pro teams did in the 80s. 

7 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Its no loss, never liked Edwards as an individual - arrogant and aloof and has never shown any grattitude towards the game that made him - ditto Farrell.

And no point in getting upset It's only a yawn in a suit!

And I don't know why this hasn't been cross coded, better RK  stories than this have gone to die there.image.png.44192238be0a73bae66c047a3baaeb5f.png

11 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Yes, that's way he payed back the bursery for his coaching training that he got from the RFL to allow them to pass it on to another up and coming coach. What sort of 8@st@rd does that.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 hours ago, Padge said:

Yes, that's way he payed back the bursery for his coaching training that he got from the RFL to allow them to pass it on to another up and coming coach. What sort of 8@st@rd does that.

Why was he offered a bursery to learn to Coach or indeed accept a bursery to further his career. 

Its not like he was on the bones of his ass.

Maybe he payed it back because he never invested those skills back into the code that funded him.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

51 minutes ago, Allora said:

Maybe he payed it back because he never invested those skills back into the code that funded him.

Maybe he never intended to invest those skills back into the code that made him. ( changed in order to be more precise ? )

8 hours ago, Padge said:

I think we’d all agree that was very honest of him at the time. What’s your opinion of how he’s dealt with the current situation in comparison to that?. 

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I think we’d all agree that was very honest of him at the time. What’s your opinion of how he’s dealt with the current situation in comparison to that?. 

I couldn't care less to be honest.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 15/04/2019 at 22:26, Dave T said:

Because that doesn't match up with the rest of the story and events

Continuity by Bess Wohl

Sorry that should have read Guess who.

13 hours ago, Allora said:

Why was he offered a bursery to learn to Coach or indeed accept a bursery to further his career. 

Available at the time to all who wanted to move into coaching and had already achieved a certain level.

I suppose if you were allowed to apply for a grant for being a student in your chosen career path you would turn it down.

He applied for what was available was granted it, used it to enhance his coaching skills and then nobody would give him a job in a coaching capacity in RL (compounded by him wanting to be close to his family). Union saw the possibilities, offered him a job. He decided to pay the money back.

He didn't have to give the money back, he did it on the principle that he hadn't used it for its intended ending purpose and it had helped him though not in his initial chosen career path.

My point here is nothing really to do with what has gone on recently between him and Wigan but with the fact that people who dismissing him and saying he has given nothing back.

A month discussing some yawn coach enough is enough. That's far too long for a real TGG thread never mind this trip down Nostalgia Avenue

"Round up the usual suspects!"

image.png.fc67788f7e5298dbb96647b36404a81d.png

Very amusing development.

After all the hoo-haa, seems like Wales has only offered Edwards a 2 year contract. And he will be co-defense coach, seeing that the new head coach had already hired someone to do the defense job. Apparently Edwards is not happy, and could end up back at Wasps.

Where he will probably get the 4 year contract he is looking for, but lets be honest given the financial mess Wasps are in, he may well be looking elsewhere before those 4 years are up.

Little bit of karma in all that.

2 hours ago, foozler said:

Very amusing development.

After all the hoo-haa, seems like Wales has only offered Edwards a 2 year contract. And he will be co-defense coach, seeing that the new head coach had already hired someone to do the defense job. Apparently Edwards is not happy, and could end up back at Wasps.

Where he will probably get the 4 year contract he is looking for, but lets be honest given the financial mess Wasps are in, he may well be looking elsewhere before those 4 years are up.

Little bit of karma in all that.

This sort of Karma? https://www.llamakarmakafe.co.uk/

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

Flog

I'm not too fond of Sean Edwards either but resorting to a whipping seems a bit strong.

Come to think of it ..... go ahead!

Archived