Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chris22

Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Wigan have released a very revealing and informative statement:

Wigan Warriors are aware of quotes from Shaun Edwards regarding his future contractual arrangements.

Following the conclusion of the Six Nations and Shaun’s comments, we have been seeking dialogue with Shaun directly since Sunday to clarify to Wigan his intentions.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019-03-18-club-statement-shaun-edwards

I can save them the bother about Edwards intentions for next year and they don't include coaching Wigan RLFC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Wigan Warriors are aware of quotes from Shaun Edwards regarding his future contractual arrangements.

Following the conclusion of the Six Nations and Shaun’s comments, we have been seeking dialogue with Shaun directly since Sunday to clarify to Wigan his intentions.

It would be a good coup for RL to get a well respected and well known coach in Shaun Edwards.

Big question that this statement doesn’t answer for me is whether or not Wigan had succeeded in securing a contractual agreement with Edwards when the club announced he would be coming in 2020.

If not, and he does snub Wigan in favour of furthering his ambitions in Rugby Union then Wigan need to move on quickly and decisively.

I do think that if Edwards has merely used Wigan as a bargaining chip to get more money elsewhere then that will severely sour his relationship with Wigan fans and his legacy. Very poor form if so.

• Like 2

It’ll be a bitter pill to swallow for sure, but might it arguably work out for the best?

Was there any guarantee that Edwards was going to be able to make the transition from top RU coach to top RL coach?

Wigan is still a high prestige name still in Australia so there’s the possibility of recruiting a top or up and coming talent from over there or luring most of the promising domestic names already in SL.

Frank Endacott, Ian Millward, Brian Noble, John Dorahey, Stuart Raper…...where are you when we need you? ?

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Is the England RU job available after the World Cup? Just speculating

Him and Garland possibly.   Money talks, but so do the Union harpies who would be eager to diss them.

It won't be good publicity for our sport not just Wigan with Edward's not honoring a handshake on a deal. Dont want to get into crosscode trouble here ,but This looks like the other code have opened the infamous book of dirty tricks to play on RL. Been done to cheapen your sport and the most famous RUGBY club in the world . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Read a few things this morning suggesting Wasps are a genuine possibility for Edwards. I know Wasps were linked with him previously.

Big question Wigan will be asked IF Edwards doesn't sign is why the big fanfare when there wasn't a contract in place. Seems ridiculous.

Sad thing about it also is that a picture will be painted in the press that depicts RL as being the loser here, even if it was Wigan who decided not to offer Edwards a contract. RU wins, RL loses.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Last night I had a dream we were champions. Maybe his track record suggests he knows what he’s doing, what with all those triumphs and all. 

Yes you were champions last season any on previous occasions but it all starts again and on present showing as stated things aren't looking too good. There's a recent precedent for this with another SL chairman who wanted to cut the rest adrift and who's ego clouded good decision making, sadly things didn't turn out too well for that club further down the line, so I would be a little concerned if I was a Wigan fan?

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Frank Endacott, Ian Millward, Brian Noble, John Dorahey, Stuart Raper…...where are you when we need you? ?

Not a McGuire fan then John?

I'll just post this quote from today's 'Times', print edition (can't do linky thing because of the paywall):

'The Wales defence coach Shaun Edwards has a deal in place to join Wasps next season. However he has not signed yet because he is waiting to see if there is an option to coach England instead …………… Edwards has been in negotiations with Wasps, whom he coached before joining Wales.'

This would appear to be definite, given the RU contacts that the 'Times' will have.

Ultimately, if you announce somebody as signed, you need to have a contract in place, utterly amateurish if Wigan didn't get him to sign one.

On the flip side there could have been a contract in place, with pre-commencement break clauses just in case Edwards gets offered. job he prefers, or Lam does well. This is what I reckon happened, with Edwards rather publicly exercising his break clause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I can save them the bother about Edwards intentions for next year and they don't include coaching Wigan RLFC.

Best thing Wigan (and rugby league in general)  can do is get in first and tell him any deal is off.

Also-do it through the media like he's done

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Read a few things this morning suggesting Wasps are a genuine possibility for Edwards. I know Wasps were linked with him previously.

Big question Wigan will be asked IF Edwards doesn't sign is why the big fanfare when there wasn't a contract in place. Seems ridiculous.

Sad thing about it also is that a picture will be painted in the press that depicts RL as being the loser here, even if it was Wigan who decided not to offer Edwards a contract. RU wins, RL loses.

I heard quite some time ago that he would not be coming to Wigan and that Wasps had made a huge offer and that he would be going there. I think there is a little more than meets the eye between him and Lenegan too.

These are the BBC quotes:

"I haven't signed a contract with anybody yet," Edwards said.

He agreed a deal with Wigan Warriors in August 2018, but said the Super League club never produced a contract for him to sign.

"I agreed with Wigan and thought we would sign a contract," he said.

"But then Wigan said, 'it's OK, we'll sign one later', and I thought that was unusual. And that was nine months ago." 

Wigan said they were "aware of quotes from Shaun Edwards regarding his future contractual arrangements".

In a statement, the club said: "Following the conclusion of the Six Nations and Shaun's comments, we have been seeking dialogue with Shaun directly since Sunday to clarify to Wigan his intentions".

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think there is a little more than meets the eye between him and Lenegan too.

In what way? personal beef?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

10 minutes ago, Chamey said:

Ultimately, if you announce somebody as signed, you need to have a contract in place, utterly amateurish if Wigan didn't get him to sign one.

On the flip side there could have been a contract in place, with pre-commencement break clauses just in case Edwards gets offered. job he prefers, or Lam does well. This is what I reckon happened, with Edwards rather publicly exercising his break clause.

The Wigan statement only talks about intentions it does not imply that there is/was a contract. So are you saying that Edwards lied when he said that he has not had sight of a contract from Wigan? 

If he hasn’t he has every right to look for a new employer given that his current contact has a fixed end date.

Maybe there’s a case that Wigan were in a hole and used Edward’s name to temporarily smooth it over with their fans. Either way it always seemed a very strange deal for all concerned. And now it has turned into a real calamity!

Edited by TBone

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

In what way? personal beef?

I'm not sure. It just doesn't add up. If they were far more amicable this could have all been sorted out without anything being made public. Edwards really didn't have to make the comments that he made and it really shouldn't be that hard for Lenegan to be able to speak to Edwards as per the Wigan statement. I just get the feeling that all is not well.

Either way this week one of two things needs to happen, there is a press conference announcing that Edwards has signed a contract or there is a press conference saying that Edwards is no longer coming and the agreed deal is off. If that is the case though it should permanently end any talk of Edwards coming back to Wigan.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I do think that if Edwards has merely used Wigan as a bargaining chip to get more money elsewhere then that will severely sour his relationship with Wigan fans and his legacy. Very poor form if so.

Depending on which version of events you believe, if Wigan had his signature on a contract, there would be no bargaining to be had.

12 minutes ago, TBone said:

The Wigan statement only talks about intentions it does not imply that there is/was a contract. So are you saying that Edwards lied when he said that he has not had sight of a contract from Wigan? 

If he hasn’t he has every right to look for a new employer given that his current contact has a fixed end date.

Maybe there’s a case that Wigan were in a hole and used Edward’s name to temporarily smooth it over with their fans. Either way it always seemed a very strange deal for all concerned. And now it has turned into a real calamity!

Wigan's original announcement about Edwards stated he had signed a contract.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not sure. It just doesn't add up. If they were far more amicable this could have all been sorted out without anything being made public. Edwards really didn't have to make the comments that he made and it really shouldn't be that hard for Lenegan to be able to speak to Edwards as per the Wigan statement. I just get the feeling that all is not well.

Either way this week one of two things needs to happen, there is a press conference announcing that Edwards has signed a contract or there is a press conference saying that Edwards is no longer coming and the agreed deal is off. If that is the case though it should permanently end any talk of Edwards coming back to Wigan.

I’m sure Wigan will be fuming behind the scenes as at best they will come out of this saga looking naive.

The right move here I feel is to move on and quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Wigan's original announcement about Edwards stated he had signed a contract.

Why do you think Wigan are choosing not to reiterate that in their recent statement?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

2 hours ago, Damien said:

It's just really poor from Wigan this isn't it? That statement says nothing. Fans want to know that their club did have a contract, as announcing a new manager without them having signed would be rather amateur wouldn't it?

They need to be saying a bit more than that.

Edited by Dave T