Can Widnes make the Top 5?

-12 points for entering administration, but have only lost 1 in 6. Nearly back to level pegging, with a game in hand.

Meanwhile, there is a strong battle going on around the playoffs, with many of the top teams on 8 points.

Can Widnes close the gap over 22-23 more games? Will they? And if they do, will they go all the way?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It’s possible. But from speaking as a fan of Widnes, avoiding relegation would be good enough for me. Don’t think we’re strong enough for SL again yet. Build up the fan base in the championship and go for it next year

17 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It’s possible. But from speaking as a fan of Widnes, avoiding relegation would be good enough for me. Don’t think we’re strong enough for SL again yet. Build up the fan base in the championship and go for it next year

Genuine question Spidey...   do you think Widnes fans would prefer a side that is always very strong in the Championship being it's biggest club, OR one that is a small Super League club regularly around the bottom (this is assuming no big investor or sugar daddy comes in of course)...?

I only ask because I'm not sure what I would have preferred if Warrington had imploded at our lowest point in 2002 and not attracted our two sugar daddy saviours.

You can always watch a successful championship team live on a Sunday and watch Super League on TV in the previous evenings.

9 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Genuine question Spidey...   do you think Widnes fans would prefer a side that is always very strong in the Championship being it's biggest club, OR one that is a small Super League club regularly around the bottom (this is assuming no big investor or sugar daddy comes in of course)...?

I only ask because I'm not sure what I would have preferred if Warrington had imploded at our lowest point in 2002 and not attracted our two sugar daddy saviours.

You can always watch a successful championship team live on a Sunday and watch Super League on TV in the previous evenings.

Personally speaking, i would rather we were at the top table. The hope is that, given the right leadership, we needn't necessarily be at the bottom in SL

2 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I probably enjoyed today's game more than I've enjoyed a game for a few years. The standard wasn't brilliant but it was full blooded and there was something to shout about.

We've had two spells in Super League now and in reality had very little to shout about both times. Bar the odd game or few game spell it's been relentless misery that has almost killed the club twice. The state we were left in (even prior to the administration) was the worst in my lifetime. All hope and desire was gone. 

That said... Super League every time. We would look at a club like Cas and hope to recreate what they've done. If we could continue the decent support, a few years out of SL might not be a bad thing. However, I fear it would drop off year on year.

As for whether we can do it this year, I doubt it. We struggled a lot today and we're second best for long periods. I hope we stay up and then start next year with renewed optimism and try to challenge.

It's a very small squad and you have to assume no money kept back for late season additions, so a lot will depend upon what loan signings are available when injuries start to kick in. The two toughest games, Toronto away and Toulouse away are already played though.

I believe Widnes will make the play offs.  And like so many clubs who have this as their aim they will go out first round.

It will be a great achievement for them if they make it and good luck to them! 

As for relegation they won't be bottom next week and in 4 weeks they will have daylight between them and the bottom 2!

If there was a run away top four or five like the last few years then I'd say no. The fact that teams are taking points off of each other and we have York, Bradford, and Sheffield in the mix this year means that the points total needed for a play off finish is likely to be significantly lower than the last few years. I can see them challenging but not sure if they'll have the depth to make it.

Looking at remaining fixtures Widnes have Leigh 3 times, Fev away, York twice, Fax away, Bulls away, Sheffield away, Toulouse and Toronto again.

Plenty of points to be dropped there especially if the squad is small....think you have to win the majority to make top 5.

It's an even league with teams beating each other and i'd expect Widnes to lose a few as the part time teams gel and get a little fitter.

I certainly expect Fev, York and Leigh to get stronger as the season goes on.

Widnes won't go down though.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Archived