SEEKING INFORMATION.

Request for Information-

I feel sure this may well have been previously discussed, but to save hours searching-

when the NRU returned to one division for season 1901/02- together with separate Yorks/Lancs Senior Competitions, following the addition of a Second Division in 1902/03, when were the Senior Competitions re-established – presumably as reserve leagues?

While thumbing through some newspaper archives last year, I became aware of the ‘second competitions’ – which included the short lived NRU Bradford based Bowling club, who appear to have disbanded c1900.

Do any members know which year these second competitions were established- & discontinued, & if any results &/or league tables have been compiled over time? If records exist, it will save much scrolling through newspaper archive. Thanks in advance.

I've just joined this forum & clearly having problems. Can someone please tell me how to delete the above post- while placing it in the correct 'Rugby History Thread' - which I'm struggling to find? Thanks;

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

As far as I’m aware there isn’t a rugby league history specific forum Gram so just leave your question here and someone will either have the answer or point you in the direction of somebody who does.

Thanks for that; when browsing this forum a couple of years ago I came across this page/thread–

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/341-the-general-rugby-league-forum/&page=353

Having no need to use the forum until now, I google-d TRL History Thread again- & found it once more.

I attempted to place my post on that thread, but somehow it ended up on a main board. I assume the History Thread must be among those 353 pages. I just cannot understand why my post didn’t go to that history thread- must have done something wrong. G

2 hours ago, Godzilla said:

If you don't get an answer here it might be worth trying the Rugby League Historians group on Facebook.

Thanks again; I did pose my question on that Facebook page last week, but in receiving little response, decided to place on here also. GW.

Are you talking about the Yorkshire & Lancashire leagues? These ran from 1907 to 1970 & results were included in final rfl tables. These tables are in Irvin sextons rugby league histories, but I have all tables if required.

1 hour ago, kev p said:

Are you talking about the Yorkshire & Lancashire leagues? These ran from 1907 to 1970 & results were included in final rfl tables. These tables are in Irvin sextons rugby league histories, but I have all tables if required.

Kev, I believe you’re referring to the Yorkshire & Lancashire first team competitions, while I’m referring to the Yorkshire & Lancashire Senior Competition- reserve/second grade leagues.

The Yorkshire & Lancashire Senior Competitions ceased being premier league tournaments at the end of season 1900/01, eventually becoming reserve/second grade leagues. In which year did these reserve leagues begin, & are results/tables for these leagues available- elsewhere, saving me weeks scouring newspaper archives?

However, I’m more interested with ‘Second Competitions’ which were developed for lower ranking, provisional, suburban teams- the aforementioned Bowling club of Bradford being one such. To complicate matters, these ‘Second Competitions’ appear to have been split into various east & west divisions- probably within Yorks, Lancs. & elsewhere, while individual towns & cities also had ‘Second Competitions’ – all a bit confusing. Second Competitions were effectively- level three- behind the first class clubs & their reserve teams.

However, while newspapers archives contain many of the results, I thought a statistician/historian may have already compiled them, saving much time.

Sorry I can’t help. But in early days of football annuals, they included rugby union & rugby league also. Athletic news did. May be worth a look. The British library has copies, also the heritage at Huddersfield has a large amount of rugby league material and I’ve found them very helpful in the past

I'm pretty sure something like the NU annual handbooks will contain that kind of info. As Kev P suggests, The RL Heritage Centre in Huddersfield might have those items (I think Meast provided the link above). 

Re: newspaper archives - it might be worth joining the British Newspaper Archive. It has a good search function, so checking Lancs and Yorks newspapers is fairly painless.

Alternatively, get in touch with Professor Tony Collins. He is very quick to respond and generously provided me with some information when I requested it. His blog (with contact information) is at http://www.rugbyreloaded.com

Minä rakastan rugbyliigaa!

Thanks again for that information.

I have subscribed to the BNA for many years now- I’m just attempting to save much time searching out all the required results- if they’ve previously been compiled elsewhere- in annuals, reference books etc.

So, Huddersfield Heritage had crossed my mind, & though I’ve not had any previous contact with them, if they keep a collection of annuals, it will be worth doing so. Tony Collins had also crossed my mind.

What are Irvin Sexton’s rugby league histories- I’ve searched but cannot find anything?

Thanks;

Irvin santons booklets are as they say a rugby league histories, each booklet one season. I have most but they do not cover 2nd tier comps. So save time & ignore them in your research! Sorry I can’t be of more help

HI Gram, I have quoted your original post on the Rugby History Thread

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

15 hours ago, Gram said:

Does anyone have a contact e-mail address or phone number for huddersfieldrlheritage – their contact form won’t load & I can’t find a number? Thanks;

da.calverley@photolens.co.uk, try that 

On 3/22/2019 at 8:48 PM, Gram said:

Does anyone have a contact e-mail address or phone number for huddersfieldrlheritage – their contact form won’t load & I can’t find a number? Thanks;

GRAM, check your messages.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived