v Sheffield

Rooney's Ears

Couldn't make it today so listened on the radio. 

Did not make for good listening, didn't sound up to our standards at all, not very fluent and a lot of handling errors.

Will leave it to you lot that were there to give a more detailed opinion.

Still clear in 4th with a game in hand so suppose it's not all bad.

Disappointing but Sheffield deserved it, Thackeray ran the show as I thought he might, beaten by the better team and no complaints here. Just think without Robson, Carter and Mazive we are missing a bit of energy, all play an unpredictable style and without them we were too easy to read. Really need someone playing off Teanby cos he was making plenty breaks but no one backing him up. 

Anyway good crowd, thought the Sheffield lot were noisy and brought a good 150. 

Oh well, back on it next week with a tough trip to Barrow. 

Agree 100% there AB. It wasnt lost in the forwards but rather in the three-quarters. We just weren't big enough or strong enough in the back line.

Eagles were exceptionally well drilled and did a processional job on us. Better team won IMO.

For mine, I'd rather have seen Batchelor in the centres, as he was for much of last year, and Peterson turning out for us in the pack instead of going down to Coventry.

Ah well, on we go to next week and hopefully a return to winning ways.

First  thoughts from my disappointed head:

Most of the team, especially Conner, had an off day.

Antony Thackeray was man of the match by a country mile. 

We deserved what we got today. Nowt.

BUT, after the last few exhilerating weeks I suppose we are allowed an off day. Is that right Fordy?

One of those days. We were still in it at 16 -18, but the 2 horrendous mistakes from restarts killed us off. 2 of the 3 second half tries all came through the left channel, that needs looking at. Move on to next  week now, we are still 4th, and today lost to the team who are 3rd. Hardly the end of the world.

10 minutes ago, JonT said:

Agree 100% there AB. It wasnt lost in the forwards but rather in the three-quarters. We just weren't big enough or strong enough in the back line.

Eagles were exceptionally well drilled and did a processional job on us. Better team won IMO.

For mine, I'd rather have seen Batchelor in the centres, as he was for much of last year, and Peterson turning out for us in the pack instead of going down to Coventry.

Ah well, on we go to next week and hopefully a return to winning ways.

Do think he's more effective at centre but in Fordy we trust, I like the intensity Peterson brings. I'd expect to see changes in a week anyway. 

The most frustrating part of the season so far is every team we've beaten have only lost because they've been poor, not much credit given our way by opposition fans.  So once again Sheffield outplayed us, credit where it's due.

Oh well., it were good while it lasted, back to reality.

I agree with AB he's spot on as ever, the three players he named  (harry, judd, ash) are the same three I was thinking of as I came home, not only for their ability to mix it up but for their defensive skills as well, we missed em today.

The wind played a big part I felt, we didn't capitalise on its advantage in the 1st half and paid for that in the 2nd.

Thakery bossed us big style, and having heard Ford's radio comments on all the work they'd done on him in the week its understandable he's so frustrated by how we failed to deal with him at all.

Well done Sheffield, I did think they were flattered by their league position but havin seen em today they are where they are on merit, well schooled, well disciplined and they deserved their points. 

Onwards the kneets

Kicking game was poor, we just didn't contest high kicks giving the defender all the time in the word to take the kick and run it out. This was my first game of the season (due to work comments) and I hope I didn't jinx them.

16 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Crowd seemed to sound very subdued on the radio. Do we only sing when we're winning?

Maybe it's me but it always seem fairly quiet at home games, usually a big defeaning cheer at the full time hooter but during the match not much singing, we are in desperate need of some new songs. I guess it will take time to build the atmosphere just like it takes time to bring the crowds back.

Enjoyed today's game , on the day beaten by the better side , for the first time in a while fordy was out coached by sheffields  staff , hopefully a few lessons learnt , we will be back better and stronger.

Agree George, watching today it was almost like watching york playing against a mirror as both teams are very similar both physically and in style of play, the difference was we lacked clarity of purpose at crucial times, 

I think part of our problem today and in the first half at dews is a symptom of the flip side of what makes york such a pleasure to support of recent years...they try so hard. When things are flowing we are awesome but when things are stuttering and not going our way we try to force things, to make happen what we so dearly want to happen rather than keep things focussed and play the percentage play.

The kicking and set completions today from sheff was different class to ours, hopefully we will have learnt some vital lessons.

Certainly didnt get the rub of the green with the decisions. Thacks should have gone to the bin for that professional foul with ten to go.

Sheffield's defence was excellent, particularly Farrell and they closed down our danger men but some of our play five options were awful today - so hesitant.

Thought there were some ordinary performances from players we rely on for invention and inspiration.

And, yes, defending restarts could do with a bit of work !!

Wasn't much between the sides and could have gone either way but our left side of Batch and Hay were both poor today and yet again our play 5's were very poor,but I am happy with the start we have made to our campaign against some good sides.

Well the winning run had to come to an end sometime, the players have given everything all season and this is just a blip, we have over 20 league and cup games still to play among them there will be one or two defeats, im loving this season cant wait for the next game, Barrow here we come.

Archived