Hemel and New York

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

A hostile takeover you mean OJX?

Just saying that even with the  NY and Montreal/Hamilton, a separate league is way off.  For me, a conference system is the a better solution if there are more teams. If North American teams are ring fenced from relegation in a conference, they could gradually start using North American players without fear of losing their investments.

4 minutes ago, ojx said:

Just saying that even with the  NY and Montreal/Hamilton, a separate league is way off.  For me, a conference system is the a better solution if there are more teams. If North American teams are ring fenced from relegation in a conference, they could gradually start using North American players without fear of losing their investments.

Or even French and NA teams in a conference.

I'd even consider London in there too. If these clubs are key to the expansion strategy, ring fence them in a separate conference. TW, TO, CD, LB +2

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Damien said:
23 minutes ago, ojx said:

Very interesting and quite revealing, particularly about the Union players.

Yes it is.  Based on this I don't see the group which bought out Hemel's license looking at Hamilton for the simple reason that other than Argonaut followers, no one in Toronto would rate Hamilton as a rival.

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Or even French and NA teams in a conference.

I'd even consider London in there too. If these clubs are key to the expansion strategy, ring fence them in a separate conference. TW, TO, CD, LB +2

Agreed. I have suggested this format in the past... “heartlands” and expansion conferences.

58 minutes ago, westside said:

Agreed. I have suggested this format in the past... “heartlands” and expansion conferences.

That's a wildly unbalanced format.  If the schedule is unbalanced along divisional lines — those are divisions, not conferences — then the burden of the transatlantic travel will fall on the expansion teams alone.  What rich investor in his right mind would ever touch it in that case?

8 minutes ago, westside said:

The team will partner with Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, which operates TD Place and owns the Redblacks (CFL), Ottawa Fury FC (USL) and Ottawa 67’s (OHL).

https://mobile.twitter.com/ILaybourn/status/1108440481535590400

Lots of rugby union fans in Ottawa...lots of dough there since it is the capital.

20 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

I wouldn't say there are lots of union fans in the entirety of Canada let alone just Ottawa.

Well you don't know anything about the history of rugby in Ottawa then....you are wrong.  Ottawa has a proud and noted history when it comes to rugby....do a bit of research and then get back to me.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Well you don't know anything about the history of rugby in Ottawa then....you are wrong.  Ottawa has a proud and noted history when it comes to rugby....do a bit of research and then get back to me.

I'm sure it does, still a small fan base when it comes to rugby union. Leicester, Dublin, Limerick, Toulouse, Clermont have big union fan bases, Ottawa doesn't.

Open message to mister Perez... Please realise that all teams in league 1 and most championship teams are PART time and their players have jobs apart from rugby. You might think its a great idea to open rugby teams all over america but there is a limit to how many holidays our players get and they don't want to have to burn them all on multiple trips over the atlantic to suit your ego. If you are that keen why don't you set up a league in N.america!

7 minutes ago, Plan of Attack said:

Open message to mister Perez... Please realise that all teams in league 1 and most championship teams are PART time and their players have jobs apart from rugby. You might think its a great idea to open rugby teams all over america but there is a limit to how many holidays our players get and they don't want to have to burn them all on multiple trips over the atlantic to suit your ego. If you are that keen why don't you set up a league in N.america!

And a new professional team creates a minimum of 20 full-time jobs for players, opening more positions lower down on the table for others. That is the point of expansion. More teams require more players, and more part-time players might consider it as a full-time career if there are more teams and this more opportunities. This is called 'growing the sport'.

15 minutes ago, Plan of Attack said:

I agree, Semi-Pro sides should be in a different system to fully professional ones. Maybe this is where SL1 and SL2 will come in.

Archived