Hemel and New York

19 minutes ago, Plan of Attack said:

Open message to mister Perez... Please realise that all teams in league 1 and most championship teams are PART time and their players have jobs apart from rugby. You might think its a great idea to open rugby teams all over america but there is a limit to how many holidays our players get and they don't want to have to burn them all on multiple trips over the atlantic to suit your ego. If you are that keen why don't you set up a league in N.america!

Don’t be a pro club then. Simples. 

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Plan of Attack said:

Open message to mister Perez... Please realise that all teams in league 1 and most championship teams are PART time and their players have jobs apart from rugby. You might think its a great idea to open rugby teams all over america but there is a limit to how many holidays our players get and they don't want to have to burn them all on multiple trips over the atlantic to suit your ego. If you are that keen why don't you set up a league in N.america!

Well the solution to that is for new well financed full-time clubs to skip the formality of League 1 and just enter the Championship. Of course I'm sure people will complain about that too.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well the solution to that is for new well financed full-time clubs to skip the formality of League 1 and just enter the Championship. Of course I'm sure people will complain about that too.

Not complain , just stick them in SL and have done with it 

I have a lot of trust in Eric Pérez after he delivered with many of his promises in Toronto after a lot of people laughed at the prospect in the early days.

If he think Ottawa is the next best strategic step i’ll Trust him.

My only doubt so far about Ottawa would be the stadium which looks too big and not in a location as good as Lamport in Toronto. The location of the stadium has proved vital in the early years for Toronto.

Ottawa is definitely a surprise... I actually think it's fairly smart on Perez's part, no other major leagues would really look to move there, including MLR which I think would end up in Vancouver,  Calgary, Halifax and Montreal before Ottawa. 

What I don't get is the management of OSEG getting in on this. They've shown to be very risk-averse on the soccer side of things,  refusing to join the CPL and fighting to stay in the USL. This seems way out of their playbook. Then again,  maybe they just hate being in Canadian leagues? Probably looking to maximize dates in TD place.

I wonder if we'll see any player crossover with CFL practice roster guys, or league players playing some special teams for the RB's?

56 minutes ago, Plan of Attack said:

Not all of them could make the trip for one thing and another.

8 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

I wonder if we'll see any player crossover with CFL practice roster guys, or league players playing some special teams for the RB's?

They could use the same team branding and name as the Ottawa Red Blacks and appeal to the CFL fan base instantly.

Just now, ojx said:

They could use the same team branding and name as the Ottawa Red Blacks and appeal to the CFL fan base instantly.

Gotta go with Rough Riders surely?

In seriousness,  you wouldn't want to use the exact same name. But red and black for sure.

12 minutes ago, Cdd said:

I have a lot of trust in Eric Pérez after he delivered with many of his promises in Toronto after a lot of people laughed at the prospect in the early days.

My only doubt so far about Ottawa would be the stadium which looks too big and not in a location as good as Lamport in Toronto. The location of the stadium has proved vital in the early years for Toronto.

Fascinating seeing Perez work.  I don’t honestly think the RFL know what they should do next.  

28 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Ottawa is definitely a surprise... I actually think it's fairly smart on Perez's part, no other major leagues would really look to move there, including MLR which I think would end up in Vancouver,  Calgary, Halifax and Montreal before Ottawa. 

Realistically, the only other possibility for MLR in Canada is Vancouver.  This leaves the eastern cities as a good option for RL. Montreal after Ottawa?

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Or even French and NA teams in a conference.

I'd even consider London in there too. If these clubs are key to the expansion strategy, ring fence them in a separate conference. TW, TO, CD, LB +2

Would like to see a bit more expansion of the game in the British Isles; becoming a truly national sport would be a great achievement. I love the idea of the game spreading overseas, but selling it in the UK shouldn't be over looked on the way. Need to bridge the geographic gap between London and Bradford. Would be nice to see York, Sheffield, Coventry, all doing well and climbing to the top. Skolars boosting themselves up to put on a London Derby would be a draw. The overall challenge is a good Marketing pitch to get people in non heartland areas to turn up and give it a try. The clubs can do so much but the RL should take the lead in promoting the game nationally. For a lot of people, being priced out of soccer and / or ru, this is a competitive and affordable sport to get into. There are lots of people who have never watched RL and have no idea what we are talking about ! Really ! But if you can sell NFL and Ice Hockey in this country you sure as hell can sell Rugby League in the home of Rugby. It's a good product, compelling, high scoring, challenging, engrossing, exciting. What's not to like? 

45 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Stadium is actually in a great location.  It's basically right beside downtown Ottawa in a very posh neighborhood that is almost identical to Liberty Village.  That neighborhood is called "the Glebe".

OSEG own three different sports clubs: Ottawa Red Blacks, Ottawa Fury and Ottawa 67s hockey club.  They have a proven track record of building pro sports teams.  This is a Blue Chip investor folks.

36 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Gotta go with Rough Riders surely?

In seriousness,  you wouldn't want to use the exact same name. But red and black for sure.

Unless something has changed in the last 15 or so years, Horn Chen still owns the rights to the name Ottawa Rough Riders and its associated intellectual property.  He'd probably want to be paid for it, just as he did when the first effort to revive the CFL in Ottawa was undertaken in 2005.

41 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Fascinating seeing Perez work.  I don’t honestly think the RFL know what they should do next.  

Of course they don't.  Surely the events of the past year have shown how totally out of their depth they are.

Never saw Ottawa as an option at this stage. However, Eric Perez is no mug and I trust his judgement.

I think the Toronto path of League 1 was good for their maturing as a club but tough on League 1 teams. I'd prefer a new team entered at Championship level. A new side could operate at that higher level provided their recruitment is sound. A minor detail. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Never saw Ottawa as an option at this stage. However, Eric Perez is no mug and I trust his judgement.

I think the Toronto path of League 1 was good for their maturing as a club but tough on League 1 teams. I'd prefer a new team entered at Championship level. A new side could operate at that higher level provided their recruitment is sound. A minor detail. 

So you want to delegate an extra club to accommodate a new NA team ?

2 hours ago, Keith989 said:

I'm sure it does, still a small fan base when it comes to rugby union. Leicester, Dublin, Limerick, Toulouse, Clermont have big union fan bases, Ottawa doesn't.

Well I can personally tell you that there is alot of interest in rugby there...from numerous old successful clubs to a vibrant and sustained university system.

The real question isn't if there is a large union fan base but is there going to be a large, dedicated crowd for Rugby League?  I think there will be.

I think the Club will be a successful franchise for numerous obvious reasons...the large rugby union roots being one of these factors, but certainly not the most important. 

Eric has always wanted to go to Ottawa, when he was at the Canada Rugby League he was a bring driver in getting the Ottawa Rhinos setup.  Unfortunately for an emerging amateur league, it was too far and too early at the time, but not surprised to see him back.

For me, this surely has to be given the green light pretty quickly. Quality venue, significant backers, using an already granted license and Eric has already shown that this can work with the Wolfpack, certainly makes it a lot less risk than New York.  

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Archived