Hemel and New York

14 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Does anyone know when this will be decided on? How long its going to take before we know, once and for all if they are going to be welcomed in? 

April. But yeah it should really just be a formality when you consider the backing and facilities in Ottawa.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-rugby-league-professional-team-1.5065989

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, bbfaz said:

Given they won't be able to get into MCU Park and RCB Ballpark is not an option either, it will likely have to be a college stadium.  What are the options?  By my count, it's either Coffey Field in the Bronx or Wien Stadium in Washington Heights (or maybe the soccer stadium).  Where else?  Wagner College?  Icahn Stadium?

College stadiums are a non-starter because there wouldn't be any beer sales. There are other issues- Wien is too narrow for rugby. Wagner is in Staten Island, nobody goes to SI for anything. Icahn is too small for professional sports. 

If they can't use MCU, then Red Bull Arena is really the only option left open. It just means they're going to put on a master class of promotion and marketing. 

Just now, Jayme2020 said:

Yes but I have also said this same thing about Toronto.

That's great. I only wondered because you appeared yesterday with this news and are very knowledgeable about Ottawa. Its always great to see new people enthusiastic about the sport in new areas. Welcome to the forum. 

On 3/21/2019 at 4:13 AM, Smudger06 said:

Shame it's got a running track around it. 

Unfortunately it does. The problem is where else do you go?

BC's Alumni Stadium is pretty far out and overly large at 44,000. Harvard Stadium barely fits a soccer field. NU's Parsons is 7k (so not bad)- but difficult to get to by public transportation and good luck finding parking...

It's gonna tough in my hometown....

13 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

Unfortunately it does. The problem is where else do you go?

BC's Alumni Stadium is pretty far out and overly large at 44,000. Harvard Stadium barely fits a soccer field. NU's Parsons is 7k (so not bad)- but difficult to get to by public transportation and good luck finding parking...

It's gonna tough in my hometown....

Indeed. If NYCFC and their backers can't find/build a good venue, nobody can.

42 minutes ago, Onieda FC said:

College stadiums are a non-starter because there wouldn't be any beer sales. There are other issues- Wien is too narrow for rugby. Wagner is in Staten Island, nobody goes to SI for anything. Icahn is too small for professional sports. 

If they can't use MCU, then Red Bull Arena is really the only option left open. It just means they're going to put on a master class of promotion and marketing. 

Understating the challenge somewhat there. Red Bull and all it's money can't get consistently above 20k, despite soccer having a vastly higher profile and masses more money.

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's great. I only wondered because you appeared yesterday with this news and are very knowledgeable about Ottawa. Its always great to see new people enthusiastic about the sport in new areas. Welcome to the forum. 

My personal view is Ottawa is a perfect fit in part because of the ownership group and stadium but I think there is a hunger in the city for a team like this to cheer for.

11 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

To be fair that post is just as informative as some other poster's contributions on here recently.

No it isn't , as much as most disagree with Parky's contribution ( some I do , some I don't , but I accept his opinion ) , they generally are open to debate , pointless waffle and insult achieves nothing 

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No it isn't , as much as most disagree with Parky's contribution ( some I do , some I don't , but I accept his opinion ) , they generally are open to debate , pointless waffle and insult achieves nothing 

You seem fired up over the last few days Gubrats...now calm right down about this expansion thing and take your pills...don't want anyone blowing a jugular now do we?

P.S.  Nice to see your club is doing pretty good presently....good to see (even though it pains me to say it).

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

You seem fired up over the last few days Gubrats...now calm right down about this expansion thing and take your pills...don't want anyone blowing a jugular now do we?

P.S.  Nice to see your club is doing pretty good presently....good to see (even though it pains me to say it).

I don't need or take any medication , RL is just a sport , it pales into insignificance when compared to real life issues , I am happy for geographical expansion , as long as it doesn't negatively affect the existing sport , it will potentially result in a change in the sport that might affect my interest in it , if that happens , it happens , my opinions or deliberations on here won't make 1 iota's difference to what does happen , neither will yours 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I don't need or take any medication , RL is just a sport , it pales into insignificance when compared to real life issues , I am happy for geographical expansion , as long as it doesn't negatively affect the existing sport , it will potentially result in a change in the sport that might affect my interest in it , if that happens , it happens , my opinions or deliberations on here won't make 1 iota's difference to what does happen , neither will yours 

Oh speak for yourself my friend...you have no idea do you?

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Oh speak for yourself my friend...you have no idea do you?

Whatever you post on here will have no impact on anything , if you are in a position to alter things directly , then that still isn't relative to posts on social media platforms like this 

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I to accept other poster's opinions, it's when certain poster's won't open their minds and accept other points of view which also achieves nothing.

12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Whatever you post on here will have no impact on anything , if you are in a position to alter things directly , then that still isn't relative to posts on social media platforms like this 

Try to have more of an open mind Gubrats....

14 hours ago, ojx said:

Indeed. If NYCFC and their backers can't find/build a good venue, nobody can.

Some times its not can't but more of won't there are owner in North America that have the idea I should not pay for the stadium or arena the city/prov/state should.

15 hours ago, Onieda FC said:

In that case, any franchise set up in New York needs a drawcard(s) suitable to the task of drawing New Yorkers to Red Bull Arena and it better make sure that they all have a great time at the matches so they want to come back again.  I don't see any such drawcard(s) within the existing RFL structure with so many teams in places New Yorkers have never even heard of.

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

In that case, any franchise set up in New York needs a drawcard(s) suitable to the task of drawing New Yorkers to Red Bull Arena and it better make sure that they all have a great time at the matches so they want to come back again.  I don't see any such drawcard(s) within the existing RFL structure with so many teams in places New Yorkers have never even heard of.

I agree, many New Yorkers hate going to NJ.  MCU is a terrible rugby venue.  I don't see how it can work without a venue in the city.

Pier 40 with a little renovation could be used for League One. Call them the New York Dockers.

9 minutes ago, ojx said:

I agree, many New Yorkers hate going to NJ.  MCU is a terrible rugby venue.  I don't see how it can work without a venue in the city.

Pier 40 with a little renovation could be used for League One. Call them the New York Dockers.

What? Removing all the parking? 

Archived