Toulouse game

Batley Bob

any of the negative boys on here who think batley are heading for relegation this season and like a flutter please contact me and i will happily match your bet.I agree we are going through a very rough patch but we will be stronger than at least two teams in this division.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bulldog Days said:

TBH Silverback, there were signs that the majority of the team wanted to stand up and prove a point. I thought our tackling down the middle was strong, and started to rattle Toulouse towards the end of the first half, especially when we went into the break 2 points ahead. Second half we tried to attack the slope with purpose with ball in hand, made a few errors on the offensive, but we were giving it a go. The strong running downhill of the full time forwards of Toulouse eventually took its toll, and we looked vulnerable on the flanks. Overall, I would say we were better than the scoreline suggests, and would also point to the referee and several questionable decisions that went the way of Toulouse. 

I watched the game as a genuine neutral - honestly.

I thought that you got the benefit of the decisions in the first half and it was about equal in the second; a lot of the penalties that you conceded in the later stages were borne out of frustration, in my view. The sending off was just stupid on the part of the player.

There was clearly a spirited resistance from most of the team, especially in the first 40 minutes. When you were facing the slope it clearly took a lot out of them and they started to look ragged in defence and laboured in attack, when you did have the ball, that is. They failed to respect possession, lost control in silly areas and ended up having to defend most of the time. Your lads were playing for pride in the last 20 minutes and some showed more of it than others.

On attack you looked disorganised and unimaginative with your two loanees having the most spark; Russell will be a good player one day, probably at Championship level, but is still quite green and wasn't organising the team; Wood looks like a quality player who just needs to be used properly. Jouffret was good in patches but did go missing a fair bit. Your pack tried hard but got bashed out of the way, eventually.

Toulouse look like a very good side, especially in attack, and were missing a number of key players yet their replacements came up to the mark. There is no shame in losing to them but the nature of the loss would be concerning.

Good Friday is going to be interesting but, at this stage, I couldn't confidently predict a winner.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, cally said:

any of the negative boys on here who think batley are heading for relegation this season and like a flutter please contact me and i will happily match your bet.I agree we are going through a very rough patch but we will be stronger than at least two teams in this division.

so top 3 to bottom 3 thats not too bad really.:read:have said before am not too fussed about winning everything i just support BATLEY, thats it for me and i hope one day we have a signing or two that we can celebrate like we have in past. but its not good when fans are staying away and one fella were walking out with 20 minutes to go yesterday on about headless chickens or sommat. will we improve before its too late, i would have had a few quid on been in top 5 all day long with the way we played end a last season and we have brought in a couple of handy players too over winter, whats gone wrong.:punish:

I thought Toulouse were a very good team they had grunt in the forwards, quick hands and some fast lads, just what you'd expect from a full-time team. I thought first half we were good and even second half we have them so.e biff and we played second half a man down for half of it. The best team won but I didn't think they were 26 points better. The ref I thought was dire!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

17 minutes ago, Phil Loxton said:

I want you to answer this question....How many other championship teams would have come away with two victories backing up from Toronto to playing Toulouse? You'll come good wait and see.

Widnes next league game Phil

IMG_0583.JPG

After seeing Toulouse for the second time this season I make them the favourites to top the division, they may not have the superstars like Toronto but they have some very skilful players who can grind a win out in the bad weather as they did at Bradford  but also have plenty of speed/skill for the dryer pitches, at times the ball was going along the line at great speed. Yesterday they had what was probably regarded as there  second string half backs but you would not have thought so with there performance.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

49 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

I thought Toulouse were a very good team they had grunt in the forwards, quick hands and some fast lads, just what you'd expect from a full-time team. I thought first half we were good and even second half we have them so.e biff and we played second half a man down for half of it. The best team won but I didn't think they were 26 points better. The ref I thought was dire!

You should apply for the timekeeper's job PM.

:hi:

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

So can't non full time players have quick hands and be fast?

1 hour ago, fredm said:

So can't non full time players have quick hands and be fast?

They can,, in very rare circumstances. However, if you could find a non full time player who has those combined abilities, they will be able to attract a lot more money than we could ever afford and are generally snapped up to play full time very quickly.

1 hour ago, ernieone said:

After seeing Toulouse for the second time this season I make them the favourites to top the division, they may not have the superstars like Toronto but they have some very skilful players who can grind a win out in the bad weather as they did at Bradford  but also have plenty of speed/skill for the dryer pitches, at times the ball was going along the line at great speed. Yesterday they had what was probably regarded as there  second string half backs but you would not have thought so with there performance.

Totally agree.

They are by far the best side I have seen this season, and I can understand now, how they thrashed Toronto a couple of weeks ago. SL levels of handling ability, pace throughout the side and plenty of grunt up front.

The teams that have held them close, have played them on swamps which is a big leveller. Sadly for us, we played them in perfect conditions for rugby.  

40 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

They can,, in very rare circumstances. However, if you could find a non full time player who has those combined abilities, they will be able to attract a lot more money than we could ever afford and are generally snapped up to play full time very quickly.

It can be done with the right coach and players wanting it... look at us in the past... 

5 hours ago, cally said:

Who are them teams... looking at today’s results thank god for Widnes are on 0 points because we would be in the bottom 2... 

but let’s not hide the fact 

55 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

or if your coach hasn't got a clue how to motivate or organise.

Lee Greenwood seems to be doing ok up at Dewsbury on a shoestring budget.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

3 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Who are them teams... looking at today’s results thank god for Widnes are on 0 points because we would be in the bottom 2... 

but let’s not hide the fact 

Further to this, Rochdale have two games in hand on us. Need some wins on the board and we can’t just rely on beating the teams in and around us. Hopefully a win in the cup might kick start the season. A loss  to Lock Lane would be the nail in the coffin I feel for Diskin

49 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

The teams that have held them close, have played them on swamps which is a big leveller. Sadly for us, we played them in perfect conditions for rugby.  

and we were garbage in the 2nd half.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

33 minutes ago, imranpatel87 said:

I think we have a good squad. the problem is, they don't seem to be motivated by diskin. he's lost the dressing room I think

Not sure if he ever found it.

But hey, moaning won’t help us here. There are certainly teams who are putting up a fight and being very competitive with no more resources - see Dewsbury of the last few weeks. The coach has to be a major factor in this. Motivation and spirit trumps over-analysis and super league lite sound bites.

I was very impressed with the way that Toulouse threw the ball about.  The best I have seen for a while tbh, and very entertaining.

I also thought that we were a lot better compared to a few weeks ago.  It may be that a semi pro side like ours needs a more structured approach and I absolutely understand the criticism of the coach. I do't think that there has been a lack of motivation, more a lack of cohesion and confidence.  However, if he can resist the urge to swap three and four players at a time, then we might just get a bit more understanding between the players and start to win a few games.  

1 hour ago, il cattivo said:

or if your coach hasn't got a clue how to motivate or organise.

Lee Greenwood seems to be doing ok up at Dewsbury on a shoestring budget.

I just wish you would get down off that fence and tell us what you really think of the coach. 

24 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I just wish you would get down off that fence and tell us what you really think of the coach. 

you're correct.

i should start being more forthright and frank in my view.

less objective.

I should imagine there are supporters on this forum that really aren't bothered if we go down or not now. Because to tell you the truth that is how I am starting to feel about the whole debacle. Then come season ending maybe all us disgruntled fans would say to the powers that be " I told you so ".

1 hour ago, Dog forever said:

I should imagine there are supporters on this forum that really aren't bothered if we go down or not now. Because to tell you the truth that is how I am starting to feel about the whole debacle. Then come season ending maybe all us disgruntled fans would say to the powers that be " I told you so ".

Not what I want at all.

Relegation stinks and it wouldn’t give me any consolation that the coach’s ability was questioned long before the drop.

10 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Sorry PM I missed this earlier whilst posting but could not agree more.

Archived