Toulouse game

Batley Bob

I agree with you Bill about the squad gelling a little more.

I know this will rile a few up on here, but despite the last two losses, there are some quite encouraging signs. If we had shown anything like that against Bradford, I'm sure we would have beaten them. The second half on Saturday was not helped by having Lillycrop sin binned (after watching a video of the first Maurel try, he did right to question the official, the dummy runner was clearly in the defensive line and stopped defence from sliding). Galbraith getting sent off didn't help either, it was difficult to tell if he had tackled Marcon in to touch, (the camera view was obscured as he touched down) but it was certainly close. 

After watching what Toronto did to Halifax, who were at home yesterday, Toulouse and Toronto look a class above anything else in the division. They could replace quite a few of the current SL clubs from what I have seen of them on current form. Widnes are not far behind those two in terms of ability either. 

They consistently hit the ball at pace and invariably win the collisions, allowing them a quick ptb, to continue the attack whilst the defending side is still trying to get back on side. Both teams have bags of skill, pace as well as brute strength right across the park, everything you would expect of full time professional sides that have spent SL levels of money. You cannot expect to compete with teams like that, when you spend a fraction of money and run as a part time club. Realistically, we shouldn't be able to compete, otherwise, why would those teams spend 5+ times the money on those players? 

I think in terms of ability, there isn't much difference in the rest of the division, everyone else is beatable, as Dewsbury showed yesterday at Featherstone. Sadly for us, we have only just really started to come together a bit whilst facing the best 2 sides in the competition. Hot on the heels of those two league games is the Widnes match, after the cup next week, so it doesn't get any easier. We just need to somehow ensure that we start to turn it around and win some of the games that we have lost by small margins, like the games against Halifax away and Bradford at home. If we had managed to win either of those, the calls for Diskin out would be a bit more muted given how we have competed for good stints in the last two games.

Looking on the bright side, it might favour us on Good Friday, we will undoubtedly be going in to the game as the underdogs.

Highlights from Toulouse game Batley v Toulouse tries

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

It can be done with the right coach and players wanting it... look at us in the past... 

It could be done in the past, but it has only really been the last few years where we have seen teams in the Ch spending like SL teams. Currently, I'm not so sure. How much would the Toulouse, Toronto, Widnes, Leigh, Featherstone and probably Bradford's sides cost? 

Previously, we had a salary cap in the CH much lower than that in SL, meaning we had much more of a chance of competing. Now we have almost half the teams in the division spending several times what we are and spending similar amounts to the teams in the top division.

I'm not defending the fact we have not been playing well this season, we have had some shocking performances, but the last couple of weeks have been better performances,it's just a pity we have played against the best two teams in the competition, to finally start playing.

Reading League Express and I was surprised to learn that the attendance was much higher than it appeared on OuRLeague. These computerised turnstyles seem to be working a treat.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

56 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Reading League Express and I was surprised to learn that the attendance was much higher than it appeared on OuRLeague. These computerised turnstyles seem to be working a treat.

Or the camera was by the dugouts and all the crowd was down that side

IMG_0583.JPG

1 hour ago, Batley Bob said:

Or the camera was by the dugouts and all the crowd was down that side

Possibly. 857 was a decent turnout for a Saturday though, wasn't it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived