BBC and female presenters

They seem to be pushing female presenters to the fore which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not really keen on Laurent Laverne first thing in the morning☹️

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

I'm not really keen on John Humphrys first thing in the morning. When he annoys me too much I listen to something else.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 hours ago, slowdive said:

They seem to be pushing female presenters to the fore which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not really keen on Laurent Laverne first thing in the morning☹️

It's because they are cheap.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:24 PM, JohnM said:

Laurent's sister Lauren is pretty good, though. 

Don't rate her either!...I don't mind her just not first thing in the morning tbh

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

41 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

she is better than Shaun Keavney, can't bear even 5 mins of him

I'm the opposite really, but I accept he wasn't everyone's cup of tea.  There aren't many people I could listen to first thing in the morning but he was definitely one.

Jacqui Oatley is an excellent commentator with a good knowledge of football. There is no reason why she shouldn't be commentating on Match of the Day. 

I still prefer a male voice commentating though. So does my wife. She's all for female advancement but she admits "it just doesn't sound right". 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Jacqui Oatley is an excellent commentator with a good knowledge of football. There is no reason why she shouldn't be commentating on Match of the Day. 

I still prefer a male voice commentating though. So does my wife. She's all for female advancement but she admits "it just doesn't sound right". 

It only doesn't sound right as it's not what we're used to - it will become normal and sound right soon I'm sure

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

1 hour ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

It only doesn't sound right as it's not what we're used to - it will become normal and sound right soon I'm sure

I've watched televised sports for years that often have female commentators. I'm more than used to them.

But the first time I heard Jacqui Oatley doing Football, it sounded odd, simply because she wasn't a middle-aged bloke. That's Football for you. She's well established now, and few fans make a issue out of it any more.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

But the first time I heard Jacqui Oatley doing Football, it sounded odd, simply because she wasn't a middle-aged bloke. That's Football for you. She's well established now, and few fans make a issue out of it any more.

It think it's to do with the pitch of her voice. A male commentator raises his voice to show excitement for a shot at goal, for example. As Jacqui is female her voice is already pitched higher she HAD nowhere to go (apart from a really high pitched squeal) when something interesting happened. 

I said HAD because I think she's "lowered" her normal voice so she can raise it when needed. 

Or maybe, as KT said, I'm just getting used to it. ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 3/20/2019 at 1:24 PM, Just Browny said:

I'm not really keen on John Humphrys first thing in the morning. When he annoys me too much I listen to something else.

Thanks for that..but I listen to 6music primarily for the music you see?

Being a insomniac I sometimes listen to Radio 5 live to while away the hours, Monday to Thursday is ok but the weekends is the god awful Dalton Abedayo (?) I just can't stand him so switch off immediately, they sometimes use other network presenter's who are ok but he seems to be spreading further across the week probably because he ticks a lot of BBC boxes, time for a change I think?

18 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Being a insomniac I sometimes listen to Radio 5 live to while away the hours, Monday to Thursday is ok but the weekends is the god awful Dalton Abedayo (?) I just can't stand him so switch off immediately, they sometimes use other network presenter's who are ok but he seems to be spreading further across the week probably because he ticks a lot of BBC boxes, time for a change I think?

There's a reason why Dotun Adebayo is only allowed on air during the graveyard shift. He's a dull plodder.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

There's a reason why Dotun Adebayo is only allowed on air during the graveyard shift. He's a dull plodder.

Was trying to work out if that was a anagram at first! Agree, he would be a wow on the breakfast show, Nicky Campbell, there's another to**er did I really used to lisen to R5 Live regularly? seems a very long time ago?

Archived