Wigan - Sports Resolutions

Well. It appears Wigan weren't as honest, up front and remorseful as fans suggested when defending them. They get a fair bit of criticism in there.

Interestingly, no mention of the procedural issues either - obviously that was a red herring as I stated it was. 

The points deduction was adjusted to suspended due to the scale of breach. Wigan don't come out of that write up well at all.

A snippet:

The tribunal found that...

Given the position taken By the club throughout, not least the late admissions, there could not be said to have been an obvious display of remorse made.

Also, they found that...

The club had at no time fully accepted guilt.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Well. It appears Wigan weren't as honest, up front and remorseful as fans suggested when defending them. They get a fair bit of criticism in there.

Interestingly, no mention of the procedural issues either - obviously that was a red herring as I stated it was. 

The points deduction was adjusted to suspended due to the scale of breach. Wigan don't come out of that write up well at all.

The procedural issue is covered in 7.4, outlining the RFL's reasoning for not providing one. It wasn't something that Wigan put forward as mitigation. Presumably it was just to have a dig at the RFL. Not that it's entirely necessary as they don't come out of this write up smelling of roses either.

The key point for those of the opinion that Wigan were attempting to cheat the salary cap is that "No finding of deliberate breach was made, or argued by the RFL".

Also surprising was this bit, "Although as a rehearing the Tribunal was not bound by the decision of the ORT, the tribunal was not assisted by the lack of reasoning given by the ORT as to why an immediate points deduction had been ordered." Imagine coming up with a punishment disproportional to previous sanctions and not even providing a suitable reason for it.

Either way the club fought it rather than outright admitting guilt which isn't surprising but presenting it otherwise does them no favours.

Most interesting for me as a Wigan fan is Kris Radlinski's role. I've never been convinced that he's doing a particularly good job given he's the one directly involved in the day to day running of the club and quite a few controversies have come about since he took that role. 

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

The procedural issue is covered in 7.4, outlining the RFL's reasoning for not providing one. It wasn't something that Wigan put forward as mitigation. Presumably it was just to have a dig at the RFL. Not that it's entirely necessary as they don't come out of this write up smelling of roses either.

The key point for those of the opinion that Wigan were attempting to cheat the salary cap is that "No finding of deliberate breach was made, or argued by the RFL".

Also surprising was this bit, "Although as a rehearing the Tribunal was not bound by the decision of the ORT, the tribunal was not assisted by the lack of reasoning given by the ORT as to why an immediate points deduction had been ordered." Imagine coming up with a punishment disproportional to previous sanctions and not even providing a suitable reason for it.

Either way the club fought it rather than outright admitting guilt which isn't surprising but presenting it otherwise does them no favours.

Most interesting for me as a Wigan fan is Kris Radlinski's role. I've never been convinced that he's doing a particularly good job given he's the one directly involved in the day to day running of the club and quite a few controversies have come about since he took that role. 

Can't disagree with that. For clarity, the procedural issues I refer to are around the late offer of a deal.

Archived