It’s Ottawa in 2020 says Eric Perez

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric Perez thinks they are ready to go next year. With the backing of a major professional sports group in Ottawa, it would be great if they are given the green light for next year. They would already have the best stadium in the RFL (except for the turf).

And no bubble over the field to the end of April...

...except the end of April is also when the snow finally melts in Ottawa.

Looks good, all for that. Working with a group who already run sports teams in the area is certainly a positive and the fact that they own the stadium is good because it will ensure a bit of stability. One thing I always think with Toronto is because the stadium is council owned they won't have that much of a say in how the facility is managed. I doubt the council would kick wolfpack out seen as they fill it every week but it is always a possibility. If the people involved in Ottawa own the ground then that is less likely to happen. 

Anyway, looks like they've got everything planned here. The Toronto model will be followed which has been a success. Perez knows what he's doing and relocating a team will be easier than setting up a whole new one. I say get them confirmed as quick as possible. Another north American team can only add more clout to the TV deal negotiations. 

Bring on the Ottawa Otters!! :D

I am never sure why there is always a note of sarcasm attached to Wilby - I recall the same with Perez which quickly dissipated once TWP were given entry

Evenso I think Ottawa looks the business, Perez has a track record of attracting the right sort of investment and certainly does his homework and even more encouragingly has stuck to his own backyard as in Canada, so knows the market well. He certainly has shown he knows RL well enough to be successful. 

So I would suggest Ottawa are in.

It would not surprise me to see Rowley pop his head up as he has been successful at the L1 and C levels and is available, having already set up Toronto for success.

NYC? - if what we have seen and heard in the last 6 months from Wilby is true, and the investment and guarantees are all in place, then Wilby is a messenger for other people. In fact you could say his issue is that he isnt American and doesnt come across as anything different to what we already have. That’s a misnomer, he is not a millionaire from what i have seen and read, but he has seen an opportunity and speaks the local lingo. He also, like Perez, knows RL and is a ‘native’ so will have all the baggage that the average RL fan has. And still he is plugging away on behalf of his backers.

Who must have provided the same guarantees etc that Perez has. 

If thats the case why not both?

As with Toronto, it would appear its not going to cost anybody anything to do this. And as I have mentioned in other posts, if the C and L1 clubs cant sell a match day experience with marquee players all over the field from Ottawa and NYC, then I really think they should shut up shop. It’s a glaring opportunity to take in cold hard cash and elevate their own clubs and competition at the same time.

I cant see Elstone et al against this, if they have three North American side running about the C and L1 at some point it begs the question, why arent they in SL?

Three teams in SL makes it very easy to create phased fixtures. Anyone fancy a fort nite in the USA and Canada?

The SL clubs get extra fixtures at home for the Canadian clubs ‘home’ fixtures or indeed as has been mooted by Argyle, they play across the EU and spread the game as an expansion tool. Toronto city were very interested in spreading the Toronto brand into the EU via the Wolfpack, according to their news feeds, when Argyle mentioned this. 

I really dont see why the L1 and C clubs wont do this. In any other comp in the world the amount of cash and exposure this creates would put both teams and the Wolfpack straight into the top division.

RL? - at the bottom please - which now presents a unique opportunity in world sport for these clubs to take advantage of these brands, which wont be around for ever, but while they are add value to their clubs and comp AT NO EXPENSE TO THEMSELVES.

And the part time player losing wages and time off argument doesnt wash. Ask the players who have been to Toronto from L1, overwhelming positive experiences. Made them want to do it more. Even Elstone enjoyed the trip and the experience.

And for the conspiracy theorists with 2 leagues  of 10?

12 plus 3 NA sides =16 plus Widnes, Toulouse, Newcastle and one other = 20

I would suggest Leigh, York and the Bulls may have something to say about that, possibly one or two others as well.

I would love to know what the RFL strategic plan is, now its been mentioned in  the last RFL statement. It will have preferred geographical options for growth and expansion, love to know what they think are important and why.

Interesting times!

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

relocating a team will be easier than setting up a whole new one.

I think the only thing they're relocating from Hemel will be the "RFL licence" (bizarre concept.)

16 minutes ago, Kris said:

I really dont see why the L1 and C clubs wont do this.

While it doesn't "cost" anything, I suppose the negatives are that you're asking part-time players to use their days off to travel to North America rather than whatever they'd normally do on holiday. Also that any new clubs will be taking players from existing English clubs (how many players did Leigh lose to Toronto?) And you're denying yourself the chance to win the competition (or promotion) for a year or two and potentially permanently robbing yourself of a place in a higher division.

17 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Does anyone know when the championship and league 1 clubs vote on the new clubs? Does it just need a majority or to reach a unanimous decision? Has anyone heard any murmurs from the clubs about their thoughts? Thanks.

A Simple majority will be carried so long as a Quorum is present.

15 minutes ago, JonM said:

While it doesn't "cost" anything, I suppose the negatives are that you're asking part-time players to use their days off to travel to North America rather than whatever they'd normally do on holiday. Also that any new clubs will be taking players from existing English clubs (how many players did Leigh lose to Toronto?) And you're denying yourself the chance to win the competition (or promotion) for a year or two and potentially permanently robbing yourself of a place in a higher division.

JonM, i couldnt tell from your repsponse if you support the proposal and are just pointing out negatives or you are against the proposal altogether.

If Ottawa do get accepted then the part time players will use the same amount of annual leave as they did for the visit to Toulouse.  Was that a major issue for the players that made the trip to Toulouse?

Taking players from existing English clubs.  Yes they will, along with I presume some from down under.  Surely this gives the opportunity to young/fringe SL players and amatuer players to fill the roster at English clubs. If our game cannot compensate for 20 players then the game is doomed.

And YES clubs may be denying themselves promotion but I would hope that these clubs realise that their initial sacrifice - assuming Ottawa win promotion - may be the watershed in taking the game to a level we dared not even dream of 20 years ago.

Great story to get in the Canadian press and in my opinion it reflects so well on Rugby League that Toronto weren't parachuted straight into Super League, which drives the narrative that a Super League place is something of great value and prestige which has to be earned.

Even Toronto's failure last year is probably a long term success, again adding to the value of earning a place in the top flight and if they were going to lose, who better to lose to than London Broncos, as again the fact that we have a London team adds a little more glamour to the reader.  

The benefit of Ottawa starting in the bottom, is that it gives them a couple of years out of the spotlight to build their brand and team whilst enjoying victories and the success of a quick promotion from League 1.

It then means that by the time they hit Super League, Toronto are already established and Ottawa are able to turbo charge whatever they have achieved in their first 2-3 years.

Archived