It’s Ottawa in 2020 says Eric Perez

8 hours ago, Chris Reid said:

We both know the team like the Toronto team will be filled with Northern Englishmen and some Aussies and Kiwis. Who are you trying to kid?

And so what if it is? Any of the clubs that those players get taken from are welcome to use ANY of the player pool so mentioned. It’s ridiculous to suggest the player pool will be weakened when clubs aren’t even utilising all the potential pools at their disposal at this point in time. 

And also some of the clubs that people don’t want to die because of new clubs coming in.... they don’t produce their own players either, so why has nobody ever mentioned them being a drain on the player pool? 

Are the likes of Wakefield, Salford, Hull KR and Warrington producing swathes of players for the game? To me they all seem to be living off one or two players. Salford don’t even run an academy, Wakefield have one decent winger, Hull KR run a joint academy to cut costs and Warrington rarely back any home grown player over an import.

The ‘player pool’ argument is only thrown around as a convenient way to bash expansion clubs when the expansion clubs aren’t any more of a drain on the current player pool than some other clubs. 

Then you’ve got Catalans and Toulouse who have increased the player pool and get little praise for it. 

How dare Toronto sign players from Wakefield and Salford who those clubs had to sign from elsewhere themselves because they weren’t producing the talent. 

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

That isn't really fair , we can only see what they do 

Check out the brief posting history of "Chris Reid", then leg it down the bookies to put a fiver on him not getting near 50 posts, let alone the magic 100.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

While it might not be the same take Major League Soccer there are many in the UK that might not be a fan of the league but what they like is it creates more spots for players could the same not be said about Toronto/Ottawa and New York in a way it creates more spots for players.

19 minutes ago, Cdd said:

And so what if it is? Any of the clubs that those players get taken from are welcome to use ANY of the player pool so mentioned. It’s ridiculous to suggest the player pool will be weakened when clubs aren’t even utilising all the potential pools at their disposal at this point in time. 

And also some of the clubs that people don’t want to die because of new clubs coming in.... they don’t produce their own players either, so why has nobody ever mentioned them being a drain on the player pool? 

Are the likes of Wakefield, Salford, Hull KR and Warrington producing swathes of players for the game? To me they all seem to be living off one or two players. Salford don’t even run an academy, Wakefield have one decent winger, Hull KR run a joint academy to cut costs and Warrington rarely back any home grown player over an import.

The ‘player pool’ argument is only thrown around as a convenient way to bash expansion clubs when the expansion clubs aren’t any more of a drain on the current player pool than some other clubs. 

Then you’ve got Catalans and Toulouse who have increased the player pool and get little praise for it. 

How dare Toronto sign players from Wakefield and Salford who those clubs had to sign from elsewhere themselves because they weren’t producing the talent. 

You probably know .  Professional clubs do not produce the games players , amateur clubs do . Most amateur clubs struggle for numbers once you get away from the younger age groups . Most amateur clubs struggle for money , one reason is that lots of clubs are situated in deprived areas .   

2 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

So will Ottawa be receiving central funding seeing as they’re taking the place of Hemel? I can’t see someone bankrolling a team of Canadians in League 1 for long

I don't think they will be in League 1 for long.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:45 PM, Captain Survival said:

On the usual matters debated ad nauseam on the forum such as the amount of talent available, developing Canadian junior talent, etc I am happy to let someone else discuss - I think they are non-issues.

What you mean is you are unable to sensibly answer the reality that this phoney club will go nowhere, indeed won't even start unless it brings in players from actual rugby league playing countries.  Very poor post indeed. See the last point I make.

20 hours ago, Cdd said:

Great post and I agree that the player pool argument is weak. Ottawa could recruit from Canadian Rugby union, Canadian 7’s,  the Toronto Wolfpack,  the PNG Hunters (highly advisable IMO), both the NSW and Queensland cup competitions, and of course the NRL and maybe even some young French RL talent 

Your just making this rubbish up now with a silly list designed to pretend there's a player pool available to Ottawa. None of those Canadian players would be capable of holding their own against sides like Hunslet, Workington, Oldham, Donny, Whitehaven, Keighley etc. whose players are often ex-academy players and seasoned semi pro's with a long grounding in the game. They'd simply never get out of league one whilst it lasts so what would be the point? If they did they'd be murdered in the championship.

As for raiding Australasia for lower grade players, clubs here are not allowed to do that, visas are required and players have to be of a standard to get a visa. They can't just come here and elbow players aside so this phoney club won't be allowed to access a player pool 10,000 miles away our clubs can't access. Anyway the right thing appears to be happening that the English Championship clubs are actually being asked (and it's about time) if they really do want to have to compete against these made up clubs, acting as cannon fodder for TWP or Ottowa or New York, do they really want as clubs with players who have a full time job to go to, to be dragged thousands of miles away, losing holiday days or wages, just to be a bit part player in a silly dream. Mark Aston's scathing condemnation of Eagles treatment when they went to Toronto is enough to indicate the Championships would like to get back to having their own proper competitions and not be used for rich men's fantasies.

Apart from Argyle it appears the case all these other un-named rich Americans are themselves fantasies.

10 hours ago, Cdd said:

Some of the clubs that people don’t want to die because of new clubs coming in.... they don’t produce their own players either, so why has nobody ever mentioned them being a drain on the player pool? 

Cas, Saints, Leeds, Hull/HKR, Warrington, Wakefield, london, Widnes, Bradford, Newcastle and Huddersfield all run academies. They also support and promote local amateur junior RL and schools RL. Of the thousands of kids that play, these academies give a chance to hundreds of kids to take their game to a higher level. Only a small number make superleague but many make a part time career in the Championship at clubs like Halifax, Featherstone, Dewsbury, York, Barrow, Oldham, Batley and Swinton etc.

The Imports are SL quality players the NRL clubs produce who we get to sign. We have to provide a quality competition if we are to get a paying TV deal so it's nonsense to condemn clubs for not playing "home grown players only" we have to find the best players. The SL clubs average  up to six overseas quality players, and 19 largely academy developed in their 25 man first team squads so that's well over 200 academy players playing SL and probably same again and more playing at championship clubs. Salford produced their own players for years there are some great lads from Salford playing RL. They can't now afford an academy but the Salford RL foundation is still promoting the game in Salford to young players and supporting the junior clubs and schools.

It really is time  for this Charade to come to an end, and as was noted in League Express it does look like it is being knocked on the head.  The worst thing for me is how are we supposed to be supportive of people like you who just make stuff up about how wonderful these phoney clubs are, and slag the game off here?

2 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

I think the Championship League is key for them if they can get there in year 2 or 3 they will be fine there for years.

But how will they be funded? There will be less money in Championship next year and I can’t see someone bankrolling them in lower leagues for long, it can’t be cheap running a transatlantic sports team.

11 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

But how will they be funded? There will be less money in Championship next year and I can’t see someone bankrolling them in lower leagues for long, it can’t be cheap running a transatlantic sports team.

1)In the Championship I could see them avg 10,000 per game.

2)There will be some major sponsors that will help off set costs.

3)Tsn or Sportsnet likely will try and push for broadcasting rights and offer massive $.

4)The team likely will get the same deal as the soccer and football teams and get rent free for the field etc.

3 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

1)In the Championship I could see them avg 10,000 per game.

2)There will be some major sponsors that will help off set costs.

3)Tsn or Sportsnet likely will try and push for broadcasting rights and offer massive $.

4)The team likely will get the same deal as the soccer and football teams and get rent free for the field etc.

So you’re saying it’s a different market to northern villages? A place where sport operates differently to tiny clubs over here? 

Surely not. That would make too much sense.

6 minutes ago, Cdd said:

So you’re saying it’s a different market to northern villages? A place where sport operates differently to tiny clubs over here? 

Surely not. That would make too much sense.

If Ontario had say 6 SL teams and 4 Championship teams it would be really hard for Ottawa to have success but with just Toronto it does make it much easier for them. 

1 hour ago, Jayme2020 said:

I think the Championship League is key for them if they can get there in year 2 or 3 they will be fine there for years.

If they have the backing and finance like they are making out then they will walk League 1 in year 1 with ease. Any full time, well financed team will find it too easy really.

40 minutes ago, roughyed8 said:

Pitch is  for CFL which is larger than NFL  at 60m approx wide should be ok

image.png

There's likely enough room either side of the CFL sidelines to make it 65 metres wide IMO.  How they'll handle the multiple sets of lines on the field is another matter though.

21 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Thank God you are back...I thought you might have died.

There were a few times where I thought I might have to jump in to get your back when you were a little "over the top" on the forum but most of the time I saw you managed to extricate yourself without to many bumps and bruises, usually! :lol:

12 hours ago, Chris Reid said:

We both know the team like the Toronto team will be filled with Northern Englishmen and some Aussies and Kiwis. Who are you trying to kid?

Actually Ottawa has a very large Irish community (I am 2nd gen Canadian of Irish descent) and a lot of Irish players would find a very warm welcome in Ottawa.  So would players from anywhere in the Med (Serbia for example if we loosely classify that as part of the med), or Jamaica.

2 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

So will Ottawa be receiving central funding seeing as they’re taking the place of Hemel? I can’t see someone bankrolling a team of Canadians in League 1 for long

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

My understanding is that like TWP, the team is entirely self financed for all aspects until it does or does not reach SL.  I don't know if there is a time limitation - I don't think the matter of a time limits is clear even for TWP or if it is I missed that point.

I do not believe TWP is receiving any Championship funding at this time, to my best knowledge.  If someone else has more info please chip in.

=========

Air Transat is going to be running the flights as they do for TWP.  In fact all sides get to improve costs as I think they will run both teams across simultaneously.  Air Transat flies out of Montreal (its home), Toronto and Ottawa.

Something mentioned above - both Ottawa University and Carlton University (Ottawa has 2 major universities each with over 25k students in them) have both mens and womens rugby teams.  And Ottawa U actually has a dedicated soccer and rugby practice field - Matt Anthony Field which has a FIFA-recommended 2-Star designation, the highest synthetic turf rating possible.

Ottawa also has 2 indoor field facilities:  The Gee-Gees field and The Louis Riel Dome. 

The Gee-Gees field is a football and soccer field stadium and to quote:  The field is also fitted with a dome for use during the winter months, which provides opportunities to be utilized by the schools varsity teams, intramural sports, and other public clubs or community organizations.    Its a large field, just built in 2013 with stadium seating on one side and here is a link if anyone wants to see it:

https://teams.geegees.ca/inside-athletics/gee-geesfield

Carleton U also has a mens Rugby team, and they play out of Twin Elm Rugby Park  - yes Ottawa has a dedicated rugby park with fields, stands,  junior and adult leagues:  https://twinelm.ca/

if you look at all of what actually exists in Ottawa for general rugby infrastructure I think it becomes quite apparent why Perez feels Ottawa would be a good place to establish some roots.

And I will say it again - Canadians are not nearly as hung up on the RL vs Union arguements as you are in the UK.  It will matter not an iota to anyone, including players in the local leagues and uni teams that its RL.  This is purely an English issue, which we Canucks don't care about in the slightest.  Were I a Gee-Gee player and I was offered a tryout for the Ottawa RL team I would be there before you finished the sentence and I can't imagine a Canadian who would not.  Any player here knows that they have to be flexible whether its an opportunity in 7s, 9s, 15s or RL.  Its the opportunity to play that counts.

This comes from football btw.  If your playing North American football there is CFL and NFL.  They have some similarities, and some differences.  If you want to play you have to be prepared for either.  Its the same for Lacrosse.  We have field lacrosse and box lacrosse.  Cross over here is just a fact of life.  Consequentially all the arguments (and hatred) you die hards have are not even a glimmer of an issue here judging from my own past experiences .  Some leagues might have a scattering of old transplanted english who still carry these issues close to heart, but i think now such are few and far between.

I believe the intent is to start Ottawa in L1.  I am ambivalent on this.  I think it might be better if they commenced in Championship solely as I know some L1 clubs had a tough time with the Toronto trips given the part time players and scheduling.  It does deprive them of the opportunity to travel over here - the feedback in the past was that for many of the L1 lads (and some away fans) is it was a once in a lifetime experience.

I understand Parky replied - is it more drivel? 

Edit:  What is this business about it taking 2 hrs to drive from Montreal?  Only if you are slower then the 2nd coming. OMGLOL.   maybe from the far side of Montreal.  Or if you stopped to sightsee.

Archived