It’s Ottawa in 2020 says Eric Perez

The choice of Ottawa seems a much better one than the small industrial city of Hamilton near Toronto that was previously being considered. On the other hand Montreal would have been better than Ottawa. But there is no reason why Montreal couldn't be added later if Toronto is soon promoted to Super League and Ottawa is soon promoted to the Championship, thereby proving that they are successful. Ottawa is actually closer to Montreal (a 2 hour drive)  than to Toronto  (a 4 and 1/2 hour drive) which would make travel easier for fans of both Ottawa and Montreal when going to away games of the other. After those arrangements are completed all we will be missing is mighty Vancouver in the far west, to one day create a Canadian conference in Super League.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Couple of good wind-up tweets on there today.

Oh yeah, they hooked a few people in, then wheeled out the comedy!! Bit like that Liverpool RL page that got loads of traffic when Marwan was talking about a team, then started advertising sex toys or something like that...

16 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Couple of good wind-up tweets on there today.

Those are great tweets..I LIKE HOW THEY ARE KEEPING THE STAGS NAME...BET THEY WILL PLAY THEIR EARLY HOME GAMES AT HEMEL; HERES A HOPING FOR A WHOLE NEW RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE TWO COMMUNITIES; I SAY TWIN THOSE CITIES!!!!!

Plus this could act as as big boost for the Hemel club...what a unique situation for that Club...exciting/ interesting times indeed!

Parky wrote:

'we have a reality filter on here that blocks out reality'

Over here we call those 'blinders'.

15 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Its false news and an outright lie intentionally perpetrated by the Anti Expansionists.  Some tickets have been given to sponsors etc. and they then  latched onto this and then said at times that  'All', 'Most', 'Some', 'A Majority' etc. (ad nauseum) of tickets were free...it is one of the ways that the Anti Expansionists try to undermine the Wolfpack.   

Don't buy into it.. I am also a season ticket holder for all seasons and have paid for my tickets also...as has everyone else.   Sometimes they (TWP) give season ticket holders some breaks etc. Bring a Friend Promotion.  The Anti Expansionists say these are free tickets also.

They have also falsely accused us of fake crowd sizes etc.  They will never quit; they have a deep seated jealousy of our Club.

To be fair to anti-expansionists ( Yes I know!) there is some kind of thread pf looking backwards into the past and inwards to being British throughout the UK, and even Brexit is only one example of this.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, MEXICO WILL PAY said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-42702631

"Chief executive and club founder Eric Perez secured the use of 10,000-seater Lamport Stadium in Toronto, and last year average home gates were a healthy 7,000 (though half of those attending had complimentary tickets)."

If they're admitting 50% of the tickets are free it probably means 75% of them are free

10 hours ago, MEXICO WILL PAY said:

You are just making things up now. There has been no disproval of that statement.

Well there is a simple way here you can read it in English with suffient comprehension to determine which bit is quotes and which bit is the reporter.

What we've forgotten to all our detriment is that there's a lot of lazy reporting, a bunch of bias and a tendency for reporters not to leave their homes and read sites not unlike this one to find out what they should be writing.

TGG is a prime example and candidate for all of these and has been throughout its history.

To put it simply in a protestant country the catholics tend to have the bad press and vice versa.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

As long as people are watching I don’t see how free tickets are a bad thing. Surely in an ideal world teams could be entirely funded by alternative methods, sponsership, tv rights etc and everyone could watch their team for free, crowds would double over night. The only time it becomes an issue is if the alleged free tickets stop and attendances plummett. 

12 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The choice of Ottawa seems a much better one than the small industrial city of Hamilton near Toronto that was previously being considered. 

Just wanted to clarify that the city of Hamilton's population is over 500,000, quite a bit more than Hull UK, and more than Leeds or Liverpool. I'd say it's more than a "small city". I think Hamilton is plenty large enough to support a team, but it's too close to Toronto for a new franchise in a sport that is trying to set down roots. I agree Ottawa is a better choice.

3 hours ago, fevtom said:

As long as people are watching I don’t see how free tickets are a bad thing

The Canberra Raiders gives a free season ticket to every local junior player. It works quite well as they have a free ticket and nag their parents to take them to a game. The parents pay and they have to bring the siblings, buy chips in the stadium etc.

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

To be fair to anti-expansionists ( Yes I know!) there is some kind of thread pf looking backwards into the past and inwards to being British throughout the UK, and even Brexit is only one example of this.

Good insight and totally correct....

According to this tweet RL has accepted the Ottawa club payment for entry into L1 in 2020;

Tweet

They also reference in prior tweets a lot of activity from RL players expressing an interest in joining the club.

I am glad Hamilton was not a consideration for many reasons I gave on the forum in 2017 posts.

On the issue of free tickets, like others here who have attended games I have not met anyone with free tickets.  I am certain they exists in the corporate allotments and so on.  But I always paid my way.  I have to say that I think the club has made a lot of money on concessions, and if you were one of the away fans who came over to Toronto you know exactly what I mean.

I really wish they could use Ottawa RoughRiders but the name is owned by a party that will not release it.  It was the name of the former CFL club of which I have great memories.  Tom Clements, Tony Gabriel, Condredge Holloway and many more- they were a CFL team to be reckoned with in my youth.

I read some of Parky's comments.  I found them disingenuous, full of triviality, and unsupported and unsubstantiated statements.  We are all entitled to an opinion to be sure but the narrow mind and scope and adamant, striding nature on a continual basis is astonishing.

2 minutes ago, Captain Survival said:

According to this tweet RL has accepted the Ottawa club payment for entry into L1 in 2020;

Tweet

They also reference in prior tweets a lot of activity from RL players expressing an interest in joining the club.

I am glad Hamilton was not a consideration for many reasons I gave on the forum in 2017 posts.

On the issue of free tickets, like others here who have attended games I have not met anyone with free tickets.  I am certain they exists in the corporate allotments and so on.  But I always paid my way.  I have to say that I think the club has made a lot of money on concessions, and if you were one of the away fans who came over to Toronto you know exactly what I mean.

I really wish they could use Ottawa RoughRiders but the name is owned by a party that will not release it.  It was the name of the former CFL club of which I have great memories.  Tom Clements, Tony Gabriel, Condredge Holloway and many more- they were a CFL team to be reckoned with in my youth.

That is a fake Twitter account and nothing to do with Perez or his team. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Survival said:

Really?  I did not know.  I saw mention of it in a prior comment  They are risking legal issues if they continue.

Perez said himself that he has no problem with fan accounts but he doesn’t want them pretending to be ‘official’.

Really like you’re suggesting of using RoughRiders as a name. Resurrecting an old brand could get people on side from the get go and probably ensure a bumper crowd for their first fixture. 

My preference would probably be to stick with ‘Stags’ as a name for now but I think Perez will have something up his sleeve. Nobody saw ‘Wolfpack’ coming did they? 

12 minutes ago, Captain Survival said:

Really?  I did not know.  I saw mention of it in a prior comment  They are risking legal issues if they continue.

It appears to be trolling as most of their tweets are tongue in cheek about "picking and choosing" which cup games to play and contacting old players suggesting they should come play for a "pension top up"

7 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Perez said himself that he has no problem with fan accounts but he doesn’t want them pretending to be ‘official’.

Really like you’re suggesting of using RoughRiders as a name. Resurrecting an old brand could get people on side from the get go and probably ensure a bumper crowd for their first fixture. 

My preference would probably be to stick with ‘Stags’ as a name for now but I think Perez will have something up his sleeve. Nobody saw ‘Wolfpack’ coming did they? 

The term stag isn’t really used in North America. People will know what it means but it’s like saying flat for apartment.

28 minutes ago, westside said:

The term stag isn’t really used in North America. People will know what it means but it’s like saying flat for apartment.

I suggested ‘Beavers’ earlier in the thread as well. I think that would work.

1 hour ago, westside said:

Hunters still use it but buck is more common...many still say stag though. 

2 hours ago, westside said:

In fact I just asked my bro in law who grew up in the heart of deer country. He says only buck is used.

Ottawa Uncle Bucks?

Archived