It’s Ottawa in 2020 says Eric Perez

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for growing the game over here but I'm really skeptical about this working.

Toronto has worked so far but they have a lot going for them that Ottawa doesn't.

Lamport has been a good home with a good atmosphere. TD Place with 4 or 5,000 people in it would feel very empty.

Toronto has lots of corporate money, lots of expats, and lots of people in general. Not so much in Ottawa.

I think it's much easier to sell Toronto to prospective players than it is to get them to uproot their lives to move to Ottawa. I mean no disrespect, just my opinion.

If they do have some difficulty attracting players, it's possible that the team might not enjoy the same success as Toronto has. We have yet to see how the game is supported over here when the team isn't winning.

I know these guys know much more about business than I do, and I'm sure they have their reasons but I do not see this working. I'd love to be wrong though. 

6 hours ago, TIWIT said:

And no bubble over the field to the end of April...

...except the end of April is also when the snow finally melts in Ottawa.

No it's not, when I lived there the snow was invariably gone by the end of March or the first week of April at the very latest.

3 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Great stadium, narrow pitch? 

Not really.  A CFL field is 65 yards (just under 60 metres) wide and there looks like enough space on either to make it 65 metres with ease.

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

JonM, i couldnt tell from your repsponse if you support the proposal and are just pointing out negatives or you are against the proposal altogether.

If Ottawa do get accepted then the part time players will use the same amount of annual leave as they did for the visit to Toulouse.  Was that a major issue for the players that made the trip to Toulouse?

I was just pointing out why championship or L1 clubs might be against the proposal and why a vote on it isn't a foregone conclusion. I don't have any special insight into how good or otherwise the bid is, so no strong views. Although I have a great deal more confidence in Eric Perez than Ricky Wilby.

When I was working, I would often go to the South of France as a (long) day trip. Playing Toulouse doesn't need to involve anybody working a Mon-Fri 9-5 type job taking time off work. It's not really any different to getting down to Llanelli or up to Newcastle for most clubs. It's a weekend at most. Playing a game in Ottawa, New York or Toronto clearly is not a weekend trip. For me as a fan living near Stansted, it's often cheaper and quicker to get to Perpignan or Toulouse than to a game up north. That wouldn't be the case for watching a game at a Canadian or US club.

43 minutes ago, Markus said:

I think it's much easier to sell Toronto to prospective players than it is to get them to uproot their lives to move to Ottawa. I mean no disrespect, just my opinion.

LOL. It's all just Canada to us. 

I'd like to see Ottawa placed straight onto the Championship. Even if it is as a 15th team so not to effect this years promotion/relegations system.  In fact, as a 15th team, it would mean that each travelling team could have a bye week to recover from the trip. without the Summer Bash, this would only mean one more fixture than this season.

Smashing League One sides is not a good look when trying to attract new fans. I understand why Toronto did it as they were the first venture of this kind, but the Championship will be  better product to show folks in Ottawa.

Nice place Ottowa, had some good night's out in the ByWard Market area otherwise plenty to see and do round and about, as a Capitol City it feels like a mid size town really, there seems to be some reluctance to consider Montreal or Quebec as a place for a team, maybe Kingston??

1 hour ago, Markus said:

If they do have some difficulty attracting players, it's possible that the team might not enjoy the same success as Toronto has. We have yet to see how the game is supported over here when the team isn't winning.

This is a valid concern, but thinking positively about it, it might just attract a different sort of player?

I was only in Ottawa for a couple of days but it seemed like a very laid back, family friendly sort of place which may appeal to players with young families.

1 minute ago, Clogiron said:

Nice place Ottowa, had some good night's out in the ByWard Market area otherwise plenty to see and do round and about, as a Capitol City it feels like a mid size town really, there seems to be some reluctance to consider Montreal or Quebec as a place for a team, maybe Kingston??

Despite what he says in the article about Ottawa, Montreal was obviously Perez's preferred location but he probably couldn't  get enough investors interested.

Just now, damp squib said:

Despite what he says in the article about Ottawa, Montreal was obviously Perez's preferred location but he probably couldn't  get enough investors interested.

Why would you think that? I heard absolutely nothing from Perez that would lead to that conclusion.

51 minutes ago, damp squib said:

I thought he had explicitly mentioned Montreal as a future location.

He did, but Montréal is a very French city and language politics are big factor in Québec so a team in Montréal would need to appeal to francophones and I frankly can't see them caring about a team playing in an English league having all their opponents being from England.   On the contrary they're more likely to feel antagonism to that, so Ottawa's demographics are much more favourable to something like this than Montréal's.

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Hamilton was mentioned at one point as well. 

Hamilton is too close for a new sport trying to establish itself.  Ottawa is the right distance away - close enough for a road trip but far enough to be a distinct market.

3 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

Hamilton is too close for a new sport trying to establish itself.  Ottawa is the right distance away - close enough for a road trip but far enough to be a distinct market.

That's why I like the idea of a team in Buffalo. Close enough to be rivals but a completely separate market.

Archived