It’s Ottawa in 2020 says Eric Perez

Ahh so Toronto will have a team to dual reg players to.

I hope this means they will develop the game and not just end up as another talent drain.

It's not just in Canada either, it's a sorry state of affairs when wakey in a heartland of the game is looking externally to replace an injured player...

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Markus

corporate money

While its not at the same level of Toronto corporate money is far bigger in Ottawa then many think and some big players have picked Ottawa over other cities such as Ford also the amount of weed company in Ottawa is beyond crazy.

Td Stadium

For those not from Ottawa might not know put this is far more then a stadium its a party example for Redblack games that start at 7:00 pm people start arriving at 4:00 pm they go for dinner etc and many stay after the game as well.

The appeal of the city

Well if you look at the Carleton Ravens basketball and football teams just as a example and the Ottawa 67s they have had no issues attracting players while some teams in the GTA have.

Population

Ottawa-Gatineau is about 1.4 million with another 200,000 with in a hour drive.

In ending is Ottawa going to be a easy sell compared to Toronto no but it will be a much easier sell then other possible cities even Montreal I think would have been a real hard sell.

This is excellent news. Ottawa is a big hockey town but not spoilt for choice in summer sports; CFL is only 5 months of the year and they haven't got an MLS team. 

Looking forward to confusing home fans by wearing my Sens jersey to a few Ottawa away games next season. 

Ottawa, being the national capital, also attracts huge numbers of tourists, especially in the summer.  Having a fully funded consortium checks one heck of a lot of boxes.   Ottawa is a very good choice.....visiting fans will love the city.

Accepting Ottawa is a no brainer.

"If everything goes well, a 2020 kickoff," Perez said in an interview.

"I just want to get the approval so we can get to work. There's plenty of work to do."

He hopes to have "this whole process wrapped up at some point in April."

"I'm sure it will be received really well. It's different from a new application — we're relocating a current member," Perez said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-rugby-league-professional-team-1.5065989

Actually Ottawa close enough to Montreal to attract that city's RL inclined fans..only a 2 hour drive..that's nothing in Canada..we do that for a summer BBQ. Plus you can fly from Toronto island airport in an hour..I'll do that to see them play (if for instance the Wolfpack are in the UK)   I bet once we have 2 Cdn teams and maybe a US one we will get NA Union players switching codes because all of a sudden you have a viable pro career path.  Yep, this will work. But oh dear, ParqueCider will be apoplectic. 

44 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Actually Ottawa close enough to Montreal to attract that city's RL inclined fans..only a 2 hour drive..that's nothing in Canada..we do that for a summer BBQ. Plus you can fly from Toronto island airport in an hour..I'll do that to see them play (if for instance the Wolfpack are in the UK)   I bet once we have 2 Cdn teams and maybe a US one we will get NA Union players switching codes because all of a sudden you have a viable pro career path.  Yep, this will work. But oh dear, ParqueCider will be apoplectic. 

Well that will be the best chance of having 1 or 2 real Canadians playing 

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Ottawa, being the national capital, also attracts huge numbers of tourists, especially in the summer.  Having a fully funded consortium checks one heck of a lot of boxes.   Ottawa is a very good choice.....visiting fans will love the city.

Accepting Ottawa is a no brainer.

I wouldn't be so sure of the latter if I were you.  I can envision several clubs voting against this because they'll see Ottawa as unwanted competition for getting promoted to SL and others because of the "no away fans" argument.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

I wouldn't be so sure of the latter if I were you.  I can envision several clubs voting against this because they'll see Ottawa as unwanted competition for getting promoted to SL and others because of the "no away fans" argument.

The biggest issue for some Championship clubs is that the more overseas teams we see in SL the more chance we have of seeing a return to licencing/franchising 

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If Ottawa was bidding for a expansion team maybe but since its a current team I think it makes it very hard for them to say no.

2 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

If Ottawa was bidding for a expansion team maybe but since its a current team I think it makes it very hard for them to say no.

In effect they are bidding for an expansion team, Hemel's previous team disbanded when they dropped out of League 1 so Ottawa would be starting more or less from scratch.  After the events of the past year and the moaning about Toronto which began the year before, I would never underestimate the self-interest of the existing clubs.

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

In effect they are bidding for an expansion team, Hemel's previous team disbanded when they dropped out of League 1 so Ottawa would be starting more or less from scratch.  After the events of the past year and the moaning about Toronto which began the year before, I would never underestimate the self-interest of the existing clubs.

Because no sports club ever did anything to look after their interests before did they ?

28 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If they were to vote against them I don't see how the league lasts if you don't allow teams to move or you say no to any expansion.

15 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

If they were to vote against them I don't see how the league lasts if you don't allow teams to move or you say no to any expansion.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Crossing The Rubicon  Here:

-G7 National Capital City,

-experienced proven leadership,

-very solid financial long term backing from a sports consortium...the first such interaction with RL in North America (big $$$$$),

-more jobs and income for RL people in England,

-greater international exposure which leads to a worldwide growth in the game (a good thing).

-increased bargaining power for a better Sky TV contract, which all clubs get a part of

Growth!...Finally targeted RL Growth!..a seed in Canada which has sprouted and produced two new clubs!!!!

This is way bigger than Catalans ever was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a no brainer.

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

So will Ottawa have the same issues as Toronto early season in terms of not being able to play home games? I can see that potentially being a stumbling block for some.

Probably. Ottawa is a bit colder than Toronto through the winter. The stadium is fieldturf, but not heated. No bubble though.

Archived