It’s Ottawa in 2020 says Eric Perez

Just now, The Daddy said:

Aren't Stags a symbol of Canada anyway? The mousse or something like that. 

I not against the Stags I just like Lumberjacks better....much better.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/21/2019 at 8:53 AM, Kris said:

And for the conspiracy theorists with 2 leagues  of 10?

12 plus 3 NA sides =16 plus Widnes, Toulouse, Newcastle and one other = 20

I would suggest Leigh, York and the Bulls may have something to say about that, possibly one or two others as well.

I would love to know what the RFL strategic plan is, now its been mentioned in  the last RFL statement. It will have preferred geographical options for growth and expansion, love to know what they think are important and why.

Interesting times!

21 teams and you have a 3 league conference. 12 + 7 + 7 = 26.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:15 AM, Copa said:

24,000 capacity.

TD Place Stadium 

E1596FBF-7ED2-4621-9187-5BCE933E09FA.jpeg

They have played football there, in the Olympics I believe...  But the picture shows a American (Canadian) Football pitch, and aren't  they quite narrow... 50yards.  Length 100yards?    So my question is are these stadiums just a bit small for RL?

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

They have played football there, in the Olympics I believe...  But the picture shows a American (Canadian) Football pitch, and aren't  they quite narrow... 50yards.  Length 100yards?    So my question is are these stadiums just a bit small for RL?

Its a 150 yards long and 65 feet wide.

27 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

Its a 150 yards long and 65 feet wide.

The in goals look 15yards , so would be 130 yards with no room beyond that. That is in total 118m.  So the length  looks just ok.  But the width looks no where near 65yds .  

I am just curious because I think that unfortunately American Football pitches look too small for RL.

49 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Usonian gridiron fields are narrow, Canadian ones are not.  In Canada they they are 110 yards (100 metres) long  and 65 yards (a shade under 60 metres) wide with goal areas 20 yards (18 metres) deep.  The extra space on either side of the CFL sidelines looks to be enough to allow the field of play to be 100 metres long and 65 metres wide, and a full 10-metre deep goal area will be not problem either. :D

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The in goals look 15yards , so would be 130 yards with no room beyond that. That is in total 118m.  So the length  looks just ok.  But the width looks no where near 65yds .  

I am just curious because I think that unfortunately American Football pitches look too small for RL.

Years ago CFL goal areas were 25 yards deep, and they fit in that stadium with no problem.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Usonian gridiron fields are narrow, Canadian ones are not.  In Canada they they are 110 yards (100 metres) long  and 65 yards (a shade under 60 metres) wide with goal areas 20 yards (18 metres) deep.  The extra space on either side of the CFL sidelines looks to be enough to allow the field of play to be 100 metres long and 65 metres wide, and a full 10-metre deep goal area will be not problem either. :D

This is I think good news as it much more readily converts Canadian grounds to rugby league.  Much more likely to see more Canadian teams in the RLF?  

56 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

This is I think good news as it much more readily converts Canadian grounds to rugby league.  Much more likely to see more Canadian teams in the RLF?  

Most Canadian stadiums can accomodate full-size RL fields, whereas in the other American countries that's more challenging.  In the US, some stadiums have stands which are more eliptical-shaped and curve in around the corners as you can see in this still from the match in Denver last year:

RL at Mile High in Denver.jpg

In those cases it depends very much on the particular curvature of the stadium, some would work well but others would not.

The only vaguely relevant criticism is that around player recruitment and grassroots development. 

These issues can be solved incredibly easily by putting some stipulations around inclusion.

Player recruitment - new franchise style clubs should initially (for the first three years) be required to recruit half of their players from outside of the Rugby League professional ranks. 

As such their salary cap should be a divided salary cap. Half towards RL players. This should be policed.

The other half should not count count for the first three years at all (uncapped) This will help new cash rich clubs to raid Rugby Union and even Canadian Football. 

Secondarily, these clubs should provide at least two development officers that exist to nurture new clubs and development pathways in their immediate rwgion to further rugby league as a 'players game'.

Not really. One could also qualify my suggestion by including Rugby League talent from developing nations (or. Not England / NZ or Australia)

There are plenty of promising Rugby Union players across the world that could make the transition. 

I would also qualify the expansion by saying it should really be at championship level not league one. Championship should be a true professional league, league one left to be a ln environment for semi pro.

19 minutes ago, leagueworld said:

Not really. One could also qualify my suggestion by including Rugby League talent from developing nations (or. Not England / NZ or Australia)

There are plenty of promising Rugby Union players across the world that could make the transition. 

I would also qualify the expansion by saying it should really be at championship level not league one. Championship should be a true professional league, league one left to be a ln environment for semi pro.

The Championship is a long way from going full time 

Cut the number of players to 12 in the RFL and NRL which would create spare players for at least 1 new team.   Cut replacements to 2 and you create at least 2 more!!!!   It might help create as many as 5...  All this before developing their own players... and there is a basis for converting RU players.

I am only half serious, but...

Archived