Is this what Super League could like with a conference system?

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

That would mean never playing 18 of the teams in your League! Surely the seeding would change based on Previous seasons final standings? 

Yes but I wasnt going to sit down and plan out the next 5 years worth of fixtures for this make believe league! ?

6 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

Yes but I wasnt going to sit down and plan out the next 5 years worth of fixtures for this make believe league! ?

Tut tut, I thought you said you liked creating fantasy leagues! Either do it right or don't bother ?

You said the derbies would remain because rival teams are seeded in the same bracket.......You then went on to say shortly after that the seeding would change because 18 of 28 teams in the same league would never actually face each other. 

You also said you had a keen interest in sports leagues structures and formats and then, shortly after, you said you couldn't be bothered to work out a fixture list.

You'd fit right in at the RFL mate.

11 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

That would mean never playing 18 of the teams in your League! Surely the seeding would change based on Previous seasons final standings? 

In a perfect world the conferences would split neatly down geographic lines.  However, realistically we are decades away from that ever being possible.

The best option would be to introduce the co-efficient system used by FIFA/UEFA with a seeding system supporting an open draw.  This could then be supplemented by each club having a small number of nominated derby teams who wouldn't necessarily be in their group but who they would be guaranteed a home and away fixture against i.e Wigan/Saints, Leeds/Bradford, Toronto/Ottawa ? 

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

You said the derbies would remain because rival teams are seeded in the same bracket.......You then went on to say shortly after that the seeding would change because 18 of 28 teams in the same league would never actually face each other. 

You also said you had a keen interest in sports leagues structures and formats and then, shortly after, you said you couldn't be bothered to work out a fixture list.

You'd fit right in at the RFL mate.

I know right, can you be my reference when I apply for a job there?

Here is my two'penneth.

I would go for 2 x 10 SL's that has no relegation - dont jump down my throat just yet I will explain further down!

If the powers that be stated that a 2 x 10 SL will commence in 2022 this would give ALL teams irrespective of newbies and existing teams a timeframe to work to in order to put forward their application.

We currently have 12 teams in SL and at this moment in time Toulouse and Toronto could be included.  A 2 x 10 SL with a definite date and application process may encourage investors in say Bradford, Newcastle, York, Coventry plus potential overseas consortiums to be interested.

This system would give a 27 game season.  Home and away against your league and play teams in the other league once.

Future entry into the league would be possible by either:

1. Every 3 or 4 years two teams could be added to the format through an application process, and,

2. Should a team not continue to achieve set criteria then they can be replaced.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, Smudger06 said:

To be fair Rochdale has a good RL venue though, when they are allowed to use it.....

I remember going tin town in my youth. Happy days.

Where do all the players come from to populate all these expansion clubs.  Indeed where do they come from to fill all the local non SL clubs.  And indeed we seem to be on a trend downwards in quality in the SL.

50 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I remember going tin town in my youth. Happy days.

Where do all the players come from to populate all these expansion clubs.  Indeed where do they come from to fill all the local non SL clubs.  And indeed we seem to be on a trend downwards in quality in the SL.

Last sentence is the biggest myth in RL. It’s been said for as long as I can remember that the quality of players is on a downwards trend. If that were the case we’d now have teams made up of players that had none of the key motor skills. 

I think BARLA needs to be nurtured & supported and held in high esteem as the lifeblood of our sport in the Northern Hemisphere.....

I think many lessons could be learned from Little League Baseball to apply to Junior RL with regard to attracting volunteers for coaching & refereeing and encouraging young players to train with clubs and parents to pay subs to clubs. 

I think the combined resources of the RFL, SLE and all The member Clubs should be focused on attaining previous levels of Sport England funding which should be directed straight to BARLA. 

I think there could be a Draft from the NCL through a Player Combine Pathway including a trials game series. For over 21s to under 25s with at least 3 registered seasons in the NCL.....All Clubs could have 5 picks each, about 150 players out of 200 selected from the draft out of 225 who took part in the Combine, for example....

Archived