Trin acquire Belle Vue freehold!

2 hours ago, fevtom said:

Wakefield AFC have announced their intentions to share with Trinity when/if they develop a ground but until then they will play at Pontefract Collieries. The football team will be starting in the 11th tier so you’d think whatever they could bring to the ground would be a drop in the ocean but they seem to be confident they have enough money behind them to climb the leagues quickly. Even a ground share with a conference level team would help Trinity a lot.

Is it Wakefield FC the ex Sheffield Wednesday manager is involved with or Wakefield United who have just been set up.  Noticed talk on Twitter the other night by football journalists of a pro football club playing at a newly developed Belle Vue.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see Leeds United reserves return too.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Obviously not paying rent on the ground is good, but they will be making loan repayments instead for x years. 

If they have had to take a loan from the council to purchase the lease on the ground, how do they plan to fund any development work, which is badly needed and long overdue? 

With regard to the repayment v rent, Michael Carter suggested last year that the council borrow the money and Wakefield would pay the interest as this would be cheaper than paying rent, given that councils can borrow money at favourable rates.  Looks like they listened (eventually)

In building a new stadium, if they can use this now enlarged site and tack on some other things to the outside of the stadium like a hotel, food outlets, pub etc. then it will go a decent way towards covering the cost. I remember going to Selhurst Park which has a Sainsbury’s build underneath it. That would have covered a decent amount of the build cost.

8 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Is it Wakefield FC the ex Sheffield Wednesday manager is involved with or Wakefield United who have just been set up.  Noticed talk on Twitter the other night by football journalists of a pro football club playing at a newly developed Belle Vue.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see Leeds United reserves return too.

Both of the new football clubs have mentioned playing at Belle Vue but the Wakefield AFC with the ex Wednesday manager Chris Turner appear to be the ones with ambition and financial backing. They’ve signed a load of under 23’s from teams like Nottingham Forest and are already describing themselves as professional even though they’re going to start in an amatuer league.

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

Both of the new football clubs have mentioned playing at Belle Vue but the Wakefield AFC with the ex Wednesday manager Chris Turner appear to be the ones with ambition and financial backing. They’ve signed a load of under 23’s from teams like Nottingham Forest and are already describing themselves as professional even though they’re going to start in an amatuer league.

Vanity project. I doubt it'll be any more successful than Wakefield-Emley/Wakefield FC, who, despite playing Northern Premier League football, somehow managed to attract even lower crowds to College Grove than Wakefield RUFC had previously. Wakefield FC ended their days, in front of tens of spectators, sharing Ingfield with Ossett Town FC.

If they do redevelop Belle Vue I wonder if they will move the pitch. As it is there's not a lot they can do with the side of the ground that backs onto the houses but over the whole land there should be room for a decent stadium. I'm no expert but I imagine that would make things considerably more expensive.

If they can sort the financing for a redevelopment this has the potential to fundamentally change the economics of Wakefield Trinity. Unlike Wheldon Road, Belle Vue isn't an oldfashioned kinda charming, it's ugly and decrepit so improvement work is essential.

What they don't have, unfortunately for them, is the sort of long term security in the top flight that the league's stadium-owning big boys (Saints, Leeds, Warrington) have which gives them the confidence to make the long term investments which in turn guarantees the financial futures of those clubs.

That makes borrowing money more difficult so Wakey would benefit from the council guaranteeing the financing if possible, potentially similar to the arrangements at Leeds where Yorkshire couldn't get commercial lending without support.

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

They've purchased the land at the side of Belle Vue so there's plenty of room to do that - whether they do or not is a different matter.

I’m not going to get too technical, but a year at another ground and a full demo and rebuild would be better imo.  Just aligning all drainage, ground foundation, services, comma and infrastructure is so much easier and cheaper in the long run.

Genuinely hope it all comes off.  Certainly doing well on the pitch with a blossoming coach.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I’m not going to get too technical, but a year at another ground and a full demo and rebuild would be better imo.  Just aligning all drainage, ground foundation, services, comma and infrastructure is so much easier and cheaper in the long run.

Genuinely hope it all comes off.  Certainly doing well on the pitch with a blossoming coach.

From what I can gather it’s a staged development with new East Stand first phase.

16 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

That would be some Stand.  Would the other 3 sides have to wait until funds could be released or found?

A new stadium would be far easier to build than a phased scheme.  In the long term it would be cheaper too.  

On Sky, Carter said it would probably be a piecemeal development, as and when funds were available.

But with modern modular stadium construction techniques, the final result could still look like a coherent single design.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

If they do redevelop Belle Vue I wonder if they will move the pitch. As it is there's not a lot they can do with the side of the ground that backs onto the houses but over the whole land there should be room for a decent stadium. I'm no expert but I imagine that would make things considerably more expensive.

Western terrace is not as restricted as you think if you can remember the old west stand.

F1B5D0D0-72FA-4473-BDFB-25A360CAFD2C.thumb.jpeg.cab211fe8f4f35e2b3f89f64a6672a1b.jpeg

9 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

In building a new stadium, if they can use this now enlarged site and tack on some other things to the outside of the stadium like a hotel, food outlets, pub etc. then it will go a decent way towards covering the cost. I remember going to Selhurst Park which has a Sainsbury’s build underneath it. That would have covered a decent amount of the build cost.

Remember when Wimpy Burger and the bowling alley was there? I think original plans had apartments/ student accommodation next to the stadium.

As for ground sharing, I can’t see another football team taking off in Wakefield. Osset Town and Osset Albion mergered due to money, resources and support. 

17 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The roof looks like 30 denier nylon.  But in any event they need the odd few million to build it.  How legitimate is it for councils to put up money for this sort of stuff.

Whta money have the Council put in exactly, go on stun us with your knowledge (can't wait)

1 hour ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Western terrace is not as restricted as you think if you can remember the old west stand.

F1B5D0D0-72FA-4473-BDFB-25A360CAFD2C.thumb.jpeg.cab211fe8f4f35e2b3f89f64a6672a1b.jpeg

Yup, building sites which is what BV effectively is are very deceiving - visit any site when its just foundations and you'll see what I mean. It is cramped but not so much so that a good architect couldn't make work.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

If they can sort the financing for a redevelopment this has the potential to fundamentally change the economics of Wakefield Trinity. Unlike Wheldon Road, Belle Vue isn't an oldfashioned kinda charming, it's ugly and decrepit so improvement work is essential.

What they don't have, unfortunately for them, is the sort of long term security in the top flight that the league's stadium-owning big boys (Saints, Leeds, Warrington) have which gives them the confidence to make the long term investments which in turn guarantees the financial futures of those clubs.

That makes borrowing money more difficult so Wakey would benefit from the council guaranteeing the financing if possible, potentially similar to the arrangements at Leeds where Yorkshire couldn't get commercial lending without support.

None of that is true - there is no connection whatsoever between the ability to borrow money and your supposed security in SL, banks don't work like that. Trinities business plan etc will be what sways it as is the case with ant business.

21 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Obviously not paying rent on the ground is good, but they will be making loan repayments instead for x years. 

If they have had to take a loan from the council to purchase the lease on the ground, how do they plan to fund any development work, which is badly needed and long overdue? 

Nobody know the exact details on here but I'll take a stab.

As far as I'm aware the loan element for the ground is over a very long period and the interest is calculated on what the Council would currently get if they banked it, hence keeping it legal. The ground and carpark was sold for 600k if I remember correctly, The landlord has since done nothing to it. If he doubles his money at say 1.2 million he's done well - however I suspect with WMDC's substantial land bank a sweetener deal may have reduced that further. I've heard it valued at 3 million, however this is a pie in the sky figure that could never be attained foe so many reasons.

Next we have a developer/council who can't move on their NM site whilst we object to them not fulfilling there obligation to build a new stadium. I'm sure there is some funding on its way from this source though far less I suspect that the cost of a new stadium.

Next, the club can now borrow against the ground with the Council dropping itself as lead creditor (I suspect).

Next, there is a football element in this with the newly reformed Wakefield United?? looking to move in. There are a lot of grants available I believe from the FA for clubs operating in areas without a pro team.

Lastly Carters business acumen which is second to none - he won't have signed up for this if he didn't know where the money was coming from - he is not a seat of the pants kind of guy. There is cash around and I suspect MC knows where it is.

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

BV isn't small remembering we have the old Superbowl land as well - it's a fair site with even a little car parking space to boot - google maps will show you.

Didn’t know that.  I hope there’s a few retail opportunities generated too.  

Archived