Coming to terms with Britain's past

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I thought you were intelligent. The English, who are German and Danish mainly, are to blame. Found out recently that Dutch is quite closely related to German, which was quite a disappointment to me. So in soccer i support western Europe (Celtic) sides. Regarding going overseas and killing ppl of colour, yeah, well, i'm sorry, but if we hadn't gone to them first, eventually they would have come over to us and tried to convert us to their way of living.  

Dutch is something of a halfway house between German and English. English is a Germanic language, but very promiscuous.  Scandinavian from the Viking invasions was absorbed easily because it was very similar to the existing language. But then the Normans Huguenots Jews all added to English.  And of course the large number of words from the Empire were absorbed.  Just to confuse things further, the original Celtic language and place names were still in use.  My own home city of Leeds's name is based on a Celtic name.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

13 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I'm not buying that any of my ancestors are from Africa. 

All our ancestors are from Africa.  Perhaps this is the traditional Welsh racism that denied the finest outside back Wales ever produced a place in the Welsh XV?  A player who must have been known to the Wales RU. In the 1953 Army Rugby Union Cup Final he scored 6 tries for the Royal Signals  One W J Boston.  And of course he wasn't alone.  Clive Sullivan, Colin Dixon, Johnnie Freeman, and Danny Wilson, all made the trek north in search of, yes cash. But also recognition.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

16 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

A message from God

Well let’s bring it forward a little then.  What’s your God’s opinion on Marija Gimbutas’ linguistic work, how more recent genetic studies fit in with that and are there any treasonous repercussions there instead?

5 hours ago, Trojan said:

All our ancestors are from Africa.  Perhaps this is the traditional Welsh racism that denied the finest outside back Wales ever produced a place in the Welsh XV?  A player who must have been known to the Wales RU. In the 1953 Army Rugby Union Cup Final he scored 6 tries for the Royal Signals  One W J Boston.  And of course he wasn't alone.  Clive Sullivan, Colin Dixon, Johnnie Freeman, and Danny Wilson, all made the trek north in search of, yes cash. But also recognition.

Thanks for posting that film.

Tremendous early footage of Billy Boston playing rugby union that I hadn't seen before.

Archived