Coming to terms with Britain's past

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:56 AM, CanaBull said:

Starting before Confederation schools for Indigenous (Indian at the time) children were being set up to ‘civilize’ them.  They were located intentionally far away from family and tribe areas in order to limit contact with their children as much as possible.  Indian children were some of the first required by law to attend what ended up being boarding schools; schools which were administered by the Catholic or Anglican Church.

Over 150,000 children went through these residential schools where they were taught to be English or French speaking Christians and not Indians.  They were routinely beaten or restrained for speaking their language or practicing their customs and in some cases faced sexual abuse as well as physical.  It’s estimated up to 6,000 children died in these schools, their parents were seldom informed with many being buried in unmarked graves.  True to form, the Church authorities destroyed any records they had.

For well over a century the State and the Church conspired to ‘kill the Indian in the child’ as one historian put it.

In a country where the Queen Elizabeth II is Head of State, the last of those schools was closed down in 1996.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system

Here is a better history of this involving the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I've often wondered about the term "do gooder" as an insult as I'd have thought doing good was, by definition, a good thing. Then again, yooves of today say something is "sick" when it's actually good.

Dope is another yoof word, innit?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:42 AM, Marauder said:

By looking back and harping on about wanting a sorry from someone only breeds anger that helps racism to grow.

Easy to say if you’re on this side of it, which by a quirk of history we Brits usually are. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

5 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

the Welsh are the true Brits.

A alla ti'n sgwennu hyn yn Gymraeg?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Possibly - Y Cymry yw'r wir Prydeinwyr

Da iawn - digon dda i mi.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

35 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

When Chuka Umuna is abroad he usually says he's English. Glad to hear this. I assume most of you do. So what's all this British? Are you including Ireland in that?

In any case, England have hijacked the name Britain, the Welsh are the true Brits. Get England out of Britain. 

So are you claiming Welsh responsibility for all the evils of the British Empire?

2 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

So are you claiming Welsh responsibility for all the evils of the British Empire?

I thought you were intelligent. The English, who are German and Danish mainly, are to blame. Found out recently that Dutch is quite closely related to German, which was quite a disappointment to me. So in soccer i support western Europe (Celtic) sides. Regarding going overseas and killing ppl of colour, yeah, well, i'm sorry, but if we hadn't gone to them first, eventually they would have come over to us and tried to convert us to their way of living.  

3 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

You do know the Celts originally came from Eastern Europe? Mainly around the Black Sea near modern-day Armenia and Georgia.

Fun fact: the Celts never referred to themselves as Celts.

2 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

You do know the Celts originally came from Eastern Europe? Mainly around the Black Sea near modern-day Armenia and Georgia.

and just to muddy the waters further, genetically Celts outnumber Saxons *in England* 3:1.

There's a good case, that on the basis of those numbers, if a "Celtic nation" is a thing then England's one of them!

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/we-re-nearly-all-celts-under-the-skin-1-1141420

"If one thinks that the English are genetically different from the Scots, Irish and Welsh, that's entirely wrong," 

9 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

and just to muddy the waters further, genetically Celts outnumber Saxons *in England* 3:1.

There's a good case, that on the basis of those numbers, if a "Celtic nation" is a thing then England's one of them!

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/we-re-nearly-all-celts-under-the-skin-1-1141420

"If one thinks that the English are genetically different from the Scots, Irish and Welsh, that's entirely wrong," 

Even eastern England? I wonder what Neil Kinnock's DNA would say. IMO, Kinnock is not Welsh. He's a traitor. Loads of Welsh traitors/cowards. 

19 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Ok, we came for quite a few areas i would guess, but our culture developed in western Europe, as you know, and apparently the Greeks gave us the name Celts, which we adopted, like the English gave us the name Wales. 

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2015-03-19-who-do-you-think-you-really-are-genetic-map-british-isles

The majority of eastern, central and southern England is made up of a single, relatively homogeneous, genetic group with a significant DNA contribution from Anglo-Saxon migrations (10-40% of total ancestry). This settles a historical controversy in showing that the Anglo-Saxons intermarried with, rather than replaced, the existing populations.

39 minutes ago, JohnM said:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2015-03-19-who-do-you-think-you-really-are-genetic-map-british-isles

The majority of eastern, central and southern England is made up of a single, relatively homogeneous, genetic group with a significant DNA contribution from Anglo-Saxon migrations (10-40% of total ancestry). This settles a historical controversy in showing that the Anglo-Saxons intermarried with, rather than replaced, the existing populations.

Well most of them are traitors then. 

2 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

When Chuka Umuna is abroad he usually says he's English. Glad to hear this. I assume most of you do. So what's all this British? Are you including Ireland in that?

In any case, England have hijacked the name Britain, the Welsh are the true Brits. Get England out of Britain. 

These days, when travelling in Europe, I usually claim to be Irish.  It saves long and boring conversations about the idiocy of the British.  

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

2 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Well most of them are traitors then. 

Just curious, but what percentage of genetic markers need to be present before they become ‘traitorous’ in terms of culture?

I’m wondering, for instance, if the Celts should be considered traitors to their African tribal roots.

57 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

Just curious, but what percentage of genetic markers need to be present before they become ‘traitorous’ in terms of culture?

I’m wondering, for instance, if the Celts should be considered traitors to their African tribal roots.

I'm not buying that any of my ancestors are from Africa. 

Archived