Bring back continuous live rucks

We should definitely do this. It's the best idea I've ever seen.

*pause*

*stares at drink*

What's in this coffee?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

What did we play from 1895 to 1906 then?

I believe it was called, “Does anyone know where the ball is?”, a game still popular in well-heeled bastions of the British Empire, where presumably they still haven’t found it yet. 

10 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

What did we play from 1895 to 1906 then?

The Eton Wall Game. Aka "all pile on" or "the fat lads' farago"

See you over on the cross code forum....if you can find your way there.

3 minutes ago, damp squib said:

D Collins is that you?

Either him or Prince Phillip.

The give away will be when he starts mentioning any of Liverpool FC, the Ryder Cup or the French Union backline of the 1980s.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

No, we shouldnt. Because it would be unbelievably boring, tedious and an unedifying load of old tosh. Or rugby union, as its also known. And I ain't watching that for all the tea in China... 

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

So RL fans don't watch other sports??

That would explain a lot ?

I'm sure posters on this site watch lots of other sports. That said, a considerable number have an aversion to RU on the basis that, despite the hype, it's considered a poor substitute for RL.

And on rule changes, there is a reason why the adoption of rule changes is one way.

This is another fifth column approach.

Like the RaRa introduction of the 50/22 rule, envious of our game but embarrassed about following our lead, they creep towards us (hoping we won't notice and ridicule them) to make the game more entertaining for the poor (but loyal) fans.

These posts indicate the underlying hope that if we move towards them (OMG) we can all play one spiffing hybrid version of the Eton Wall game instead of all this bitter rivalry.

Fight the good fight lads, see this for what it is, a load of old tosh.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:06 PM, southwalesrabbitoh said:

You don't watch much RU obviously. There's more flow to a good game of RU. With full time professionalism the ruck in RU is now much cleaner. And we'd have 4 less forwards on the paddock. And we wouldn't be able to kick directly to touch from inside our own 25m area. So most RL matches would have the ball in play for a greater amount of time than they would have in RU. 

I do watch quite a lot of RU and frankly, though in a good game there is more flow than in a bad game of RL the majority of RU games are quite turgid affairs and watching them can be like clawing at your own eyes. A bad game of RL is better than a bad game of RU and IMHO a good game of RL is better than a good game of RL.. if you prefer RU to RL then go for it, not got an issue with that, but your suggestion would make RL unbearable to watch, and play!

16 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

I'm sure posters on this site watch lots of other sports. That said, a considerable number have an aversion to RU on the basis that, despite the hype, it's considered a poor substitute for RL.

And on rule changes, there is a reason why the adoption of rule changes is one way.

It's a different sport they should stop comparing them constantly.

Rugby derived from soccer but the comparisons aren't constant. It's ridiculous.

Do union forums (I don't go on them) constantly compare throw ins and how much better union ones are as they are a contest ??

It's daft. 

Also we seem to want to be constant innovators instead of for once looking at what others do and see if it can apply and improved upon!

8 hours ago, fighting irish said:

This is another fifth column approach.

Like the RaRa introduction of the 50/22 rule, envious of our game but embarrassed about following our lead, they creep towards us (hoping we won't notice and ridicule them) to make the game more entertaining for the poor (but loyal) fans.

These posts indicate the underlying hope that if we move towards them (OMG) we can all play one spiffing hybrid version of the Eton Wall game instead of all this bitter rivalry.

Fight the good fight lads, see this for what it is, a load of old tosh.

You come across as incredibly butt hurt. Please stop.

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

Rugby derived from soccer

yipyee ..er I don't know what to make of this I'm not sure what you mean by this bit???

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Blackpool rl said:

You come across as incredibly butt hurt. Please stop.

I don't know what you are implying here, please explain yourself?

I'm asking for clarification because it has a whiff of something utterly disgusting and I suspect is cause for having you removed from this site altogether.

What do you mean by butt hurt, Mr ''interested in the growth of rugby''? 

Come to think of it, the last time I heard something so thoroughly obnoxious was during an after dinner speech by a guest speaker at a Rugger ball.

Please explain also, for the other contributors, which kind of rugby you are interested in growing and why you have chosen Blackpool rl as a moniker when you live in Dublin, hotbed of Rugger in the fair isle.

You are I'd guess, nothing but a lousy troll, looking for opportunities to smear the good people on this site and the great game we support.

So how would a contestable ruck work if it were added back to the game?

-hopefully we could eliminate the "wrestle" - as soon as the runner is down his team could ruck, so the tacklers would be preparing for that

-I'd assume the defending team would have to match numbers- currently they get two markers because the offence has the runner and the scrumhalf. I think you'd have to not count the runner since it would be tough to get up and ruck in the time it would take the rest of it to happen

-If there is now time being taken to ruck, the defence has more time to get back and set- should anything be preemptively changed to address this, or see what the effect is first?

12 hours ago, Oxford said:

yipyee ..er I don't know what to make of this I'm not sure what you mean by this bit???

i assume he means that they both grew from town games that all had different rules and they needed codifiying to be able to be played in schools/universities/cities by people from different towns and one set of people chose to keep some rules and one set of people chose to keep some others... he cant possibly mean that he believes the webb ellis myth... either that or he believes the bible word for word rather than it being a fictional tale to make the complex easier to understand. 

9 hours ago, TheReaper said:

So how would a contestable ruck work if it were added back to the game?

-hopefully we could eliminate the "wrestle" - as soon as the runner is down his team could ruck, so the tacklers would be preparing for that

-I'd assume the defending team would have to match numbers- currently they get two markers because the offence has the runner and the scrumhalf. I think you'd have to not count the runner since it would be tough to get up and ruck in the time it would take the rest of it to happen

-If there is now time being taken to ruck, the defence has more time to get back and set- should anything be preemptively changed to address this, or see what the effect is first?

It wouldn’t work the difference in RU and RL is mainly down to the freedom the ptb gives teams. Forget line outs and scrums it’s the ptb that allows players to take a risk on being isolated. Without it you would see the pick and dive that you get in RU. 

7 hours ago, bobbruce said:

It wouldn’t work the difference in RU and RL is mainly down to the freedom the ptb gives teams. Forget line outs and scrums it’s the ptb that allows players to take a risk on being isolated. Without it you would see the pick and dive that you get in RU. 

Yes mate, that is one negative of bringing back continuous live rucks; nothing is perfect. Fine, ok, keep the ptb. ? 

17 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I don't know what you are implying here, please explain yourself?

I'm asking for clarification because it has a whiff of something utterly disgusting and I suspect is cause for having you removed from this site altogether.

What do you mean by butt hurt, Mr ''interested in the growth of rugby''? 

Come to think of it, the last time I heard something so thoroughly obnoxious was during an after dinner speech by a guest speaker at a Rugger ball.

Please explain also, for the other contributors, which kind of rugby you are interested in growing and why you have chosen Blackpool rl as a moniker when you live in Dublin, hotbed of Rugger in the fair isle.

You are I'd guess, nothing but a lousy troll, looking for opportunities to smear the good people on this site and the great game we support.

I don’t think I have to explain myself. Just look up the definition of Butt hurt. Actually don’t It might hurt your feelings because it’s so disgusting?

I enjoy all codes of Football, League and Union included. 

I’m just fed up with a lot of people on this forum talking like union is like the evil illuminati of the sporting world. Just stop please and get the chip off your shoulder.

Just realised I might have tried to explain myself

Archived