WIDNES

excolt

10 hours ago, excolt said:

Don't know if Hornets read this site but it would be good to see a up to the minute photo of the pitch and post's up. Just for reassurance. 

No photos but the pitch was ok, the conditios were pretty windy and it was a good drying day. It didn't cut up at all. The two groundsman were there but they never got their hands out of their pockets so they obviously aren't worried.

image.png

Very disappointing performance today. No spark, no invention, no aggression, no real team shape, no real plan of attack, no self belief, apart from that we did OK !

Plenty of individual effort but no team cohesion. We're much too easy to defend against. On the ball we're too slow, too predictable, too obvious, too one dimensional. One man up rugby most of the time.

Something has to change and change soon or we won't only be relegated we'll be relegated in bottom place.

We've gone backwards from last season and we only just scraped through then by the skin of our teeth.

Perhaps we should have hidden the posts last night!  Clearly, the disparity between the "top sides" (and Widnes will soon be back to where they feel they should be) and the also rans was always was going to be the the case for this uneven division. However, it's concerning to say the least that we are shipping so many points (now -162 after 6 games & 2 fewer games than than most) and finding it difficult to score ourselves.  Having to do a lot of defending, (sometimes well, thankfully), then inevitably a match over continuous sequence of tries. 

Hope that the club had a good attendance to help ease the pain.

22 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Perhaps we should have hidden the posts last night!  Clearly, the disparity between the "top sides" (and Widnes will soon be back to where they feel they should be) and the also rans was always was going to be the the case for this uneven division. However, it's concerning to say the least that we are shipping so many points (now -162 after 6 games & 2 fewer games than than most) and finding it difficult to score ourselves.  Having to do a lot of defending, (sometimes well, thankfully), then inevitably a match over continuous sequence of tries. 

The attendance was great, thanks to the Widnes fans for turning out in large numbers. They didn't used to  bring that many when they had a good team. 

They're not the Widnes of old and they're not even the Widnes of last season. There are better teams in this league than the Widnes team that battered a poor Hornets today and quite a few teams better than we are unfortunately.

1732 according to a Widnes report - should help the coffers!  Long time since that attendance for us - so thanks to the large Widnes contingent and those from Hornets and elsewhere.  Now, let’s get the wheels back on and better oiled quickly. Haven away next week -  should be very interesting.

1 hour ago, excolt said:

Don't think you can judge us against a full time side next week will show us where we are. 

That’s spot on as already this season we have played Toronto, Toulouse and Widnes all fulltime teams. That is why we have shipped in a pile of points with very little scored by us. This division is again so baldy unbalanced with finances playing a huge part.

With regards to the Widnes game I thought Hornets were a match for them in the first quarter of the game as they defended bravely and could have scored more points with a bit more steadiness. Once Widnes really clicked it was game over for Hornets. 

Theres still plenty to play for and I don’t think we should be written off so soon.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

I think we all but too much emphasis on finances these says almost as if we are willing to accept defeat due to the fact we dont spend as much 

I have seen a rag tag Hornets team beat a previously unbeaten full time Castleford on Spotland - it can happen but you need belief and a coach that can motivate a set of lads to over achieve   

Ah but that rag/tag team included Bobby Goulding who ran that game against Cas to perfection, one of the most exciting David/Golliath games I have ever seen.

I get the point about finances but a 1700 crowd is something Hornets would only dream about at the level below and that crowd pays quite a bit of rent "but thats another story"

I thought hornets played alright, we defended well at times and looked like we were holding our own for the first 20 mins against a full time team. But they stepped it up a gear at the end of the first half and got some tries that made it a blowout. second half we were tired by 15 mins in and that made it difficult to do anything. 

The problems where in attack we squander two good chances to score and really didn't look organised going forward.

I thought Lee Mitchell had a good game made some really good yards,  Sitaleki Akauola gives away to many penalties and offloads to much for my liking and has done that in other games maybe we are not good enough to receive some  of them but at times there is no reason to do it.

1 hour ago, The Lad said:

I thought hornets played alright, we defended well at times and looked like we were holding our own for the first 20 mins against a full time team. But they stepped it up a gear at the end of the first half and got some tries that made it a blowout. second half we were tired by 15 mins in and that made it difficult to do anything. 

The problems where in attack we squander two good chances to score and really didn't look organised going forward.

I thought Lee Mitchell had a good game made some really good yards,  Sitaleki Akauola gives away to many penalties and offloads to much for my liking and has done that in other games maybe we are not good enough to receive some  of them but at times there is no reason to do it.

We make too many un forced errors. I don't care how many full timers the opposition have got when we couldn't even put a penalty safely in to touch when we'd not seen the ball for about 10 minutes. Inexcusable at any level, full time, part time or amateur.

Archived