Barrie Mac - commentator

The whole presentation of our sport needs a bloody good shake up it’s embarrassing.

i can’t think of one presenter I’d invite round for dinner they’d all need to bore off.

I have to agree. McDermott talks that much that he often wraps himself up in knots, for example, last night, saying in the same sentence that "Kallum Watkins doesn't talk much" and "Kallum Watkins is a fantastic communicator".

His job is to summarise the action, not to talk everyone into oblivion and drown out the lead commentator. 

In football commentaries, there are often periods of silence. And that's fine at times. It's a problem that all rugby league commentaries seem to have. We think that there cannot be silence for more than 1 second. That the silence must be filled at all costs, even where the points are banal and irrelevant.

I'm all for a bit of investment in the production and I'd happily pay Sky more if they'd sack Phil Clarke, what a plum.

The rest of them are fine.

Eddie is stagnating but he is leaving. I'd guess many will miss him when he is gone irrespective of the bashing many give him on here.

My god though, why on earth have they all turned into oompa loompas! Barry is 3 shades darker since round 1 and his teeth 3 shades whiter. 

Carney has been using the old shoe polish in his barnet too.

5 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I have to agree. McDermott talks that much that he often wraps himself up in knots, for example, last night, saying in the same sentence that "Kallum Watkins doesn't talk much" and "Kallum Watkins is a fantastic communicator".

His job is to summarise the action, not to talk everyone into oblivion and drown out the lead commentator. 

In football commentaries, there are often periods of silence. And that's fine at times. It's a problem that all rugby league commentaries seem to have. We think that there cannot be silence for more than 1 second. That the silence must be filled at all costs, even where the points are banal and irrelevant.

And yet the Sky football commentary is now employing more pundits during the game to fill more air and pass extra opinions.

I am intrigued by the regularity with which critical comments in this forum on Sky coverage centre on the commentators.

For the record, I don't find any of the team particularly objectionable.  I don't find Phil Clarke's comments particularly insightful, and Terry and Baz may overdo the cheery banter a bit sometimes.  Eddie is OK; Angela poor; and I think Carney is a good anchor-man and John Wells a very sound analyst.

No, what irritates me at some points in every game is the utterly unnecessary replaying of comparatively trivial, often uncontroversial moments - such as who played the ball last over the dead ball line - with the consequence that interesting moments, like a twenty metre restart, are completely missed!  A fan at the game would not look away to miss these potentially critical moments; why should the TV viewer be denied seeing them?

I realise that in a tedious stop-start sport, like union, you have frequent breaks in play that need filling, and our own code has its moments, such as when a player is injured or a kick at goal is being prepared.  However, during active play, a mention in commentary of the coach, the club owner, etc, does not mean we have to miss some action on the pitch just to be reminded what they look like!  Nor, as I say, do we need to be reminded of the action we saw all of thirty seconds ago!

56 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I wouldn't want a totally sterile squeaky clean approach to commentating, that can be delivered by others.

Agreed.

What you can't take away from Barrie is his huge enthusiasm for the sport. He highlights the skills sets of players and has developed his own style of addressing the audience. It's certainly not a manufactured approach or, to use your word, 'sterile'.

Moan moan moan. I like Barrie's commentary, it's light hearted, sometimes humorous and he has some decent anecdotes for some of the players he played against. Same for O'Connor. 

One thing I notice watching the nrl is how much more excited the commentators get, sky needs to inject some of this. 

17 minutes ago, Sparse Attendance said:

My mate during today’s game shouted at the TV, “will you f-ing shut up Barrie, you sound like f-ing Paddy McGuinness”. I thought that was a bit harsh, even though he does babble on quite a bit.  

Let the ball see the scrum!?

Archived