Challenge Cup — Widnes

Dave Naylor

19 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

Remember the day we beat the World Club Champions ?

ROGER HALSTEAD looks back on a memorable Widnes-Oldham Challenge Cup tie at Naughton Park.

Read full article

That season was one of the best in my lifetime. Ruined by Holdsworth. Newton and Allen were a fantastic 2nd row combo. Was there that day at Naughton park. Wasn't too well the day after at work ?

And I was there too. We knocked Jonathan Davies about fearfully that day, but fair credit to him he never took a step backwards and he never complained. As for Offiah, he was sickened by the hammering we gave him every time he touched the ball. By the end of the game, he couldn't wait to get off the pitch in order to get away from it.  Brilliant tactics that day by Oldham's coach. Happy days. If only we could repeat that historic result ! 

And I shall continue to hate Holdsworth 'til my dying day.

3 hours ago, ArthurO said:

And I was there too. We knocked Jonathan Davies about fearfully that day, but fair credit to him he never took a step backwards and he never complained. As for Offiah, he was sickened by the hammering we gave him every time he touched the ball. By the end of the game, he couldn't wait to get off the pitch in order to get away from it.  Brilliant tactics that day by Oldham's coach. Happy days. If only we could repeat that historic result ! 

And I shall continue to hate Holdsworth 'til my dying day.

When I win the Euro millions and build New Sheddings,  I'm going to have the John Holdsworth suite, complete with pictures of the man. It will be the best toilets in the RL. I'll invite you round to be the first to christen them. ?

11 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

Roughyeds hit by Brook injury blow

HALF-BACK Adam Brook has suffered a broken wrist and could be out for six to eight weeks.

Read full article

Not great news.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 hours ago, Little no it all said:

Great memories of oldham rugby we all have but how can how youth have the same when a big game is taken out of their town 

But if it was played at home, so many would be disappointed because they couldn't get tickets.

Just been up to the ground, there's a football match on this afternoon, what I think might be the disabled sports league. Something the club are heavily involved with.

Celtic first team haven't played a home game since 23rd February and the weather down here has been great for the last week or so.

Celtic's ground staff have covered themselves with glory once again and the pitch looks absolutely perfect.

because old yed widnes  let us, in the first halve after about 15 minutes of sparring widnes went up 3 gears and totally destroyed Oldham it was cruel  to watch.

in the second halve they just took it easy their job was done.

First half was poor really,  Widnes are a quality side that punished errors and were clinical. Second half Oldham played so much better.Pride,passion and a great attitude. 

Ultimately, beaten by a better side. Im not bothered in the slightest about the margin of defeat etc. Next week at Newcastle is far more important than the CC or the 1895 cup.

Well played Widnes, credit to Oldham for not throwing in the towel. Enjoyable day out at Bower Fold.

Was hard to watch that first half today got totally out done on the wings. We definitely missed the players we had missing. Thought we looked much better when crook came off and Owen went to half back. Proud of the lads that they never stopped working, onto the big game on sunday against Newcastle 

Now we can concentrate on the league

THAT old adage ‘now we can concentrate on the league’ was never more apt than it was at Bower Fold when a young Widnes Vikings outfit that overflowed with pace and skill demonstrated all too clearly how much ground Oldham have to make up if they want to compete successfully with the better teams in the Championship.

Read full article

Stats-

Hawkyard-one tackle. 2 misses. 2 offloads. 6 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 18 carries=104m

Johnson-6 tackles. 3 misses. 2 offloads. 11 carries=70m

McComb-26 tackles. 2 misses. 3 offloads. 4 tackle busts. 15 carries=86m

Holmes-18 tackles. 3 misses. 7 carries=24m

Maders-6 tackles. 2 misses. 8 carries=52m

Crook-8 tackles. 2 misses. 3 carries=21m

Hewitt-8 tackles. one miss. 3 carries=12m

Joy-22 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. 8 carries=52m

Owen-26 tackles. one miss. one offload. 3 tackle busts. one clean break. 5 carries=41m

Law-18 tackles. one offload. one tackle bust. 10 carries=74m

Calland-36 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. one try assist. 5 carries=27m

Whittel-27 tackles. one miss. one offload. 2 tackle busts. 9 carries=46m

Bent-45 tackles. one miss. 6 carries=21m

subs

Gwaze-10 tackles. 8 carries=65m

Davies-12 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. 7 carries=40m

Spencer-14 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. 8 carries=49m

Greenwood-25 tackles.2 misses. 3 carries=16m

Archived