What's your favourite RL shirt ever?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

This one? 

A13F2DD2-3C34-4276-A167-3BEFDE20CAB1.jpeg

38 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

My favourite player, my favourite series (1990), my favourite shirt sponsor, and possibly my favourite shirt.

gb.jpg

Yep...both of these! It doesnt get much better

40 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

My favourite player, my favourite series (1990), my favourite shirt sponsor, and possibly my favourite shirt.

gb.jpg

Everything about that kit was awesome, the x111 badge, umbro kits were high quality, the oversize chevron, the shorts had that nice chequered matt/shiny square pattern one too...

Was it the 88 one that had thinner blue and red stripes and the trophy sponsor on it though? Thats the one that my retro vintage top (recent purchase) is based on. Wore it at an exeter chiefs game and got loads of compliments about it, even got chatted up by a student lady in a bar who wanted to know what it would take to acquire it from my person?

Shockingly awful but has to be my fav shirt - Keighley Old Trafford 1995 - just summed up how exilerating it was to be swept up in the Cougarmania Era -totally and utterly bonkers but entirley in keeping with the vibe at Cougar Park in those time  -doesnt look quite as bad witout the yellow star covered shorts though ? Happy Days ?

keighley-cougars-alternative-away-shirt-1995-1996-keighley-cougars-rugby-league-

This one ain't half bad...

0_Billy-Batten-with-the-Challenge-Cup-at-the-Boulevard-1914.jpg

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Seems like the consensus so far is a harking back to simplicity. Less is more.

And the sponsors (singular): ICI, British Coal, Norweb, various breweries. There's an honesty there, something tangible.

It's like looking back at a list world when Rugby League understood itself.

But, to answer the question, Warrington early nineties. Straightforward hoops. 

7 hours ago, Rach said:

Shockingly awful but has to be my fav shirt - Keighley Old Trafford 1995 - just summed up how exilerating it was to be swept up in the Cougarmania Era -totally and utterly bonkers but entirley in keeping with the vibe at Cougar Park in those time  -doesnt look quite as bad witout the yellow star covered shorts though ? Happy Days ?

keighley-cougars-alternative-away-shirt-1995-1996-keighley-cougars-rugby-league-

Where did the number go?

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

28 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Where did the number go?

supporters version - the cougar was smaller on the players shirt if my alcohol-fuelled memories of the final serve me correct ..

Its when you know yout teams on the up when several fans travelled to Turkey that year and found knock off versions of the shirt for sale alongside the Man Utd , Real Madrids and Barcelona's of this world ?

8 hours ago, chuffer said:

Was it the 88 one that had thinner blue and red stripes and the trophy sponsor on it though? Thats the one that my retro vintage top (recent purchase) is based on. Wore it at an exeter chiefs game and got loads of compliments about it, even got chatted up by a student lady in a bar who wanted to know what it would take to acquire it from my person?

This one? A thing of beauty (the jersey, not you without it on ? )

1.jpg

A classic of the genre, Leigh Centurions away strip 1997. So bad, it's good. For reasons I can't remember, I bought it in Medium Adult when I was only 10/11 when it came out, so I've kept it ever since and now that I'm in my 30s it has become my dieting goal to fit in to it!

rugby_shirt_2307_1_500x375x1.jpg

This is the 'best' Leigh shirt in my mind, 92/93 home shirt.

Leigh Centurions Home Rugby Shirt 1992 - 1993

Personal overall favourite is the 94 GB shirt though, got to be said.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Apart from the GB shirts with the blue and red chevrons and the iconic Aussie jersey both without any advertising on them, my favourite in the advertising days is the Penrith Panthers DahDah shirt of the late 80's early 90's. 

Picture anyone?

penrith-panthers-1991-retro-rugby-league

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Apart from the GB shirts with the blue and red chevrons and the iconic Aussie jersey both without any advertising on them

That's always been the key for me. No advertising. I totally understand why they are put on shirts. It doesn't alter the fact that I think they look far nicer without them though.

I've always had a penchant for the rarer shirts. The tour jersey from the 1994 Kangaroo tour has always been a favourite.

1994-1995-australia-rugby-league-shirt-adults-medium-top-jersey-kangaroos-5877-p.jpg

Archived