Clubs social media

London post plenty of match updates, as well as other stuff during the week. Plenty of interaction with sponsors etc.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Toronto and it's not even close.

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Who has the best? Warrington do a very good job with theirs but they must have the best marketing team in the league by a mile. 

A club as big as Leeds has a poor one IMO

If warrington is considered the best then God help the rest of them. 

Pumping out press release on twiiter and facebook isn't what its about.

What you should be aiming for is material that people want to share whether they watch the game or not. An example was the George Williams ghost tackle which was popping up everywhere, Fox News even picked up on it.

I am not saying we should be publishing "out-takes" but the right sort of material can spread far and wide.

I don't see clubs producing specific material much for social media and really that is what they should be into, production.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

53 minutes ago, Padge said:

Pumping out press release on twiiter and facebook isn't what its about.

What you should be aiming for is material that people want to share whether they watch the game or not. An example was the George Williams ghost tackle which was popping up everywhere, Fox News even picked up on it.

I am not saying we should be publishing "out-takes" but the right sort of material can spread far and wide.

I don't see clubs producing specific material much for social media and really that is what they should be into, production.

Yup, I think getting the balance right is important. I get news from the club on Twitter now, I think the website is terrible, but on Twitter you get a good mix of club and team news, ticket sales, squad news, plus a few bits of random silly videos that encourage you to interact as you say.

Looking at today:

Wire have tweeted 7 times. 2 x little silly posts, a man of steel update, a mother's day ad, plus a gameday junior ad and a community retweet. There will also be tweets during the week from Wolfie and the Wire Flyer. If they keep that kind of volume up, around 50 posts a week (more if you include game updates) it is worth following. 

A quick look at the Rhinos Twitter feed shows they just post factual stuff plus ads. Same with Saints.

The official SL account has a nice blend of factual and watchable stuff. 

The sport can definitely do better.

From the Championship, Featherstone and Swinton do well on Twitter considering their budgets are a fraction of some Super League teams. Barrow’s Facebook page is very good as well. 

Some teams prioritise Facebook and do very little on Twitter. 

Some Super League teams’ social media output leaaves a lot to be desired, Huddersfield especially. Salford do well. 

Salford are excellent as. Are TWP and the Giants output, although not great in therms of volume, has come on leaps and bounds in regards to quality. I think they have engaged a pro team to do their videos and team interviews for YouTube, so miles better than last yer.

Overall i think quality is up but the game as a whole could do a lot better. Encouraging to see teams engaging more like this. The RFL content is very good and my fears the SL website wold pull away fromOurLeague are unfounded at the moment - linked closely and support each other.

But again i think the game could do more though the RFL and SL. It will be interesting to see how Mr Elstone and his team progress this.

11 minutes ago, Kris said:

Salford are excellent as. Are TWP and the Giants output, although not great in therms of volume, has come on leaps and bounds in regards to quality. I think they have engaged a pro team to do their videos and team interviews for YouTube, so miles better than last yer.

Overall i think quality is up but the game as a whole could do a lot better. Encouraging to see teams engaging more like this. The RFL content is very good and my fears the SL website wold pull away fromOurLeague are unfounded at the moment - linked closely and support each other.

But again i think the game could do more though the RFL and SL. It will be interesting to see how Mr Elstone and his team progress this.

Team interviews, who's interested except those that already follow the club.

Social media is about having a massive audience to sell yourself and your sponsors to. To do that then you have to have content that is catchy and original.

Trotting out an interview with a player nobody has heard of outside of rugby circles saying the usual cliches, "we have trained well this week", "they are quality opposition", drone, drone, drone, shows a complete lack of understanding of how social media works and what its potential is.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Think it's also important to remember that each of the social media platforms seem to appeal to different markets.

FB tends to be used by older demographics where Twitter and Insta are used by younger fans and so clubs need to tailor their output accordingly.

I get most of my info from Twitter these days, seems that people who use it are less miserable. Going onto the Canberra Raiders FB after another close loss is like trawling through the sewers, totally depressing.

18 minutes ago, Padge said:

Team interviews, who's interested except those that already follow the club.

Social media is about having a massive audience to sell yourself and your sponsors to. To do that then you have to have content that is catchy and original.

Trotting out an interview with a player nobody has heard of outside of rugby circles saying the usual cliches, "we have trained well this week", "they are quality opposition", drone, drone, drone, shows a complete lack of understanding of how social media works and what its potential is.

I agree, to a certain extent. However... it doesn't really work because our players are not well known outside of the game's true aficionados. More needs to be done by SL and the RFL (ROFLMAO) to raise the profile of the game's stars and characters. Engage more and the 'interviews' can work.

4 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I agree, to a certain extent. However... it doesn't really work because our players are not well known outside of the game's true aficionados. More needs to be done by SL and the RFL (ROFLMAO) to raise the profile of the game's stars and characters. Engage more and the 'interviews' can work.

That is what I said. ?

You need more than that, you need a supporter who can sing the national anthem while standing on one hand on top of the goal posts and juggling a rugby ball with his feet. (That isn't serious by the way).

What you need is original content that appeals outside the RL box but will generate shares and likes.

15 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Who has the best? Warrington do a very good job with theirs but they must have the best marketing team in the league by a mile. 

That might indeed be true  but...

What are the measures of quality?

What are the measures of success?

20 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

"Leeds have come out on top of Super League clubs in a sports social media study which compares several professional sports."

Social Media is only as good as what the club wants to be into it. Most in the Champ and League 1 are done by unpaid staff or volunteers i would think.

Super League dont even want to fund reserve teams, so cant see them wasting much money on Social Media.

Its like the old adage, you get back what you put in.

HW

21 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Its not that odd really. Its an attempt to measure the social media engagement rather than just the size of the club. Man Utd have 75k seats, leeds have 20k (i assume it is capacity rather than literal seats). If both have 80k followers then Leeds are clearly doing much better than Man Utd at engaging through social media.

It is still odd. Stadium capacity is not linked to effectiveness at all. 

If they want to factor in scale, there are far far more effective ways.

Archived