Match Thread: CHALLENGE CUP Featherstone Rovers v Swinton Saturday 30th March 2019

marklaspalmas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Beckett and Darley? Its backs we're short of.

I dont think keeping a homesick lad who has failed to adapt here an extra month just to beat Swinton is a good idea.

we sent a winger forde as well 

we announced his release on 20th 8 days ago so to play on sat is extra ten days not a month

57 minutes ago, POR said:

we announced his release on 20th 8 days ago so to play on sat is extra ten days not a month

I'm with Mark on this, he wasn't being selected for the team, had the option to return to PNG Hunters (which he has already done), and wasn't exactly breaking any pots with us, it would have made no sense to keep him when the CC gives the chance to a local lad such as Jorge Richardson, who we might need in the league later on if injuries strike.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Possible line-up:
Hartley
Render
Hardcastle
Teteh
Broadbent
Richardson
Boas
Wheeldon
King
Cooper
Davies
Harrison
Lockwood

subs
Makatoa
Day
Ormondroyd
Maskill

(Broadbent usually plays centre for Leeds, he's a handy player but I guess Carr didn't want to chuck McDaniel out there again so soon after last week).

That's whats I've got but with Day starting and Harrison on the bench. 

21 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

I'd play King at 6 to add some experience in there, even if out of position. The thought of young lad Richardson and can't pass Boas at 6 and 7 scares me.

That's not a bad idea. McShane did it last night for C*s. However, looking at the squad, I don't know if this is what Coach Carr has in mind.

Broadbents a brilliant young center, looking forward to seeing how he does. He's a Year group younger than Newman so basically following the same trajectory. I rated Broadbent slightly higher than Newman coming through but theres no guarantee he'l take to championship level and playing against seasoned pro's as well as Harry has.  Newmans a better athlete, although Broadbents no slouch, Broadbents more refined and skilled imo

Render looked very good at fullback coming into the line off boas and feeding teteh almost scoring at will.  Shame about the injuries.  lost our shape in secind due to constant stop start and injuries.  The new Froward what ever his name is is starting to find his feet too.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

18 minutes ago, Gareth hock said:

What was the line up today ? couldn’t make the game because of work and the bbc app is terrible with anything to do with rugby league .

Everything seemed in turmoil today according to the starting 17 named, but the actual  starting 17 according to Fev Rovers TV appeared to be:-

Render

Hardcastle

Harrison

Teteh

Broadbent

Richardson

Boas

Wheeldon

King

Makatoa

Day

Davies

Lockwood

Subs:-

Maskill

Beckett

Cooper

Ormandroyd

Good display today ,teamwork,determination, and a dogged refusal to be intimidated by Swinton,who threw the ball about but were well beaten in the forwards.Watson had his best game to date and Render looked very comfortable in a good team display.Makatoa looks to be a good singing who may improve further.I like the way he was the Dummy runner we don't use it much. Cooper gave a real workhorse display as usual.We did concede  penalties again late in the tackle count something we must improve on against better teams.That number 7 for Swinton had a mouth on him, if he put as much effort into his game as his gob he would be a better player.And Acton as usual tried to disrupt our players with niggle.Good value afternoon out for me well worth the tenner.

19 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

That number 7 for Swinton had a mouth on him, if he put as much effort into his game as his gob he would be a better player.

Was exactly the same in our games against us last year. He was involved in the incident that got Misi sent off at our place and he was sin binned in both that game and the one at Swinton. Think your summary of him is pretty accurate.

Solid display today and the players played as a team, not like last week.the new lad maka something seems to be finding his feet with ,some good solid runs and offloads. The downside is the injuries to 2 of our senior players. Was Boas taken off as a precaution or was it more serious? Teteh's injuries looked quite serious. I feel for the lad after just returning from injury. 

It begs the question, do we need DR and Loans??????

That first half was some of the best flowing football we have played all season. Render was superb and what a shame Teteh had to leave the field. Second half turned into the one man stuff due to injuries and disruption to Teteh and Boas injuries.Good game for Richardson and Cooper played very well. Ormondroyd is finding his old form.

Spoke to Spoggy after he’d been to the game and he said Teteh scored some cracking tries but went off straight down the tunnel with what looked like a serious hand injury, Cooper and Makatoa were the next standout players he told me.

Apparently Teteh has dislocated his shoulder, the physio tried putting it back in on the field but it didn't work. He went off and down the tunnel. I hope it isn't a serious injury for him, same with Watson I hope he's ok. It was nice to see some committed play from the forwards and some sublime handling from the backs especially in the 1st half, plus I think we had 3 tries disallowed. 

12 hours ago, wasginger said:

Apparently Teteh has dislocated his shoulder, the physio tried putting it back in on the field but it didn't work. He went off and down the tunnel. I hope it isn't a serious injury for him, same with Watson I hope he's ok. It was nice to see some committed play from the forwards and some sublime handling from the backs especially in the 1st half, plus I think we had 3 tries disallowed. 

The try disallowed in the second half when Makatoa was dummy runner was OK to me.Makatoa ran straight through the defensive line and was over the try line when our player still was yards from the line recieved the pass.People moaned about Hewer last week but yesterdays ref was no better.

1 hour ago, The Judge said:

Just watched the highlights on Rovers TV. Wonder if any action will be taken against Acton for his ‘chicken wing’ tackle on Wheeldon? No wonder he reacted like he did. Nasty piece of work is Acton.

Firstly depends if it gets brought to the attention of the match review panel or not.

The first half hour or so of the match saw us produce some of the best, free-flowing rugby of the season. We passed the ball out well and the finishing was clinical, especially from Teteh.

The youngsters were impressive, Render in particular looked assured under the high ball and was vocal and commanding at fullback. Richardson put in a solid performance, as did Beckett who ran the ball well after only being called into the squad at the last minute. Broadbent slotted in well and showed some flashes of quality.

Both Davies and Boas had perhaps their best display of the season so far.

No word on the injuries to Teteh or Boas yet. Teteh looked to have dislocated his shoulder in scoring his final try. Boas limped off doubled over and holding his stomach during the second half. Hopefully both are OK.

The match was wrapped up by halftime. Swinton successfully slowed things down in the second half and the usual antics from Acton and Fairclough in particular ended up with things getting feisty.

Kicking remains an issue. Neither of Boas (0/1) nor King (3/7) look like long term options.

One big takeaway from the match was the quality of both the youngsters, and those on the periphery of the first team. What a shame it is that after playing so well on Saturday, they'll inevitably lose their place in the squad to a loanee or DR player.

On 3/30/2019 at 5:10 PM, haskey said:

Solid display today and the players played as a team, not like last week.the new lad maka something seems to be finding his feet with ,some good solid runs and offloads. The downside is the injuries to 2 of our senior players. Was Boas taken off as a precaution or was it more serious? Teteh's injuries looked quite serious. I feel for the lad after just returning from injury. 

It begs the question, do we need DR and Loans??????

With the squad we've got, yes we do. It's all well and good beating a beleaguered Swinton with no DR of their own when our pack absolutely smashed theirs but let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're very short in the backs 

Archived