30-31 Mar: The Coral Challenge Cup 4th Round Match Thread

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good game. Joke referee.  I only counted one penalty to Keighley second half.  Clearly Kear has worked out how to win a penalty for not clearing the ruck. I felt sorry for Keighley.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Wonder how many players in the lower leagues have played in both a CC final AND a Grand Final, forget Scott was still playing

For a quiz question...Fev's squad currently also contains a player who scored the winning try in a SL Grand Final and a player who scored the winning try in a World Club Challenge.

10 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Looking forward to hearing reports from the North West.

Haven 21 Hornets 22

Workington 21 Newcastle 20

Think the scores were the other way round last time I looked. Last minute winners?

Newcastle were winning 20-18 as the clock run down . Then a penalty and Doran drop goal , and a last gasp missed drop goal by Coleman . Unfortunately Rochdale scored two last gasp tries to steal that one 

9 hours ago, FearNothing said:

TBH we've suffered no end after the bent ex-CEO got found out and ousted. The club's been on a shoestring with the final parts only just being paid off to the RFL during the first half of this season. As for The Racecourse, when the soccer club took over the lease from the Uni, they wanted £5k per home game from the club for us to play there, completely unaffordable.... they did it to effectively evict us from there. Queensway isn't great but it's the only other ground within Wrexham town - there are others within 12-15 miles but not the best for access (or possibly the playing surface - not an RFL-approved type of Astroturf) We've had a constantly shifting squad for the last 2-3 seasons and team selection varies a heck of a lot from week to week which doesn't help either....

What we do have is a hardcore of support and directors who are determined to keep the club and RL going up here, I'm sure we'll ride out this period and rise again :)

Do you think that Muzza could quit after this?

5 minutes ago, Thunder fan said:

another close game, now bring on oldham next week, massive game, also announced not long ago simon finnigan is our new head coach, he takes his first training sessions this week with his first game being oldham next weekend.

I’m sure I seen him there today 

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

For a quiz question...Fev's squad currently also contains a player who scored the winning try in a SL Grand Final and a player who scored the winning try in a World Club Challenge.

I give up, whats the answer please? 

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Another ref howler, he ruled that Keighley had been tackled in-goal and signalled a goal-line dropout.  Player then gives him a serve and gets sin-binned for dissent.  He then gives Bradford a tap restart on the 10m line.  YOU CANNOT DO THAT.  The restart was supposed to be goal-line dropout, the dissent is irrelevant and cannot become a penalty once a different restart has already been given!!  (any refs here to confirm this?)

Anyone surprised? 

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

The question is not could he, but should he, IMHO poor tactical decision. Smith should have been on the bench, Stead should have started in the halves, and replaced Ashall at hooker later on, allowing Smith on. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Some close scorelines and it looks as though League One’s teams have done themselves proud this afternoon. 

It’s a shame we have the format we have, I’d love Saints to have the opportunity to draw a Workington, Rochdale or a Dewsbury but it’s very unlikely these days. 

And that's what's wrong with the CC these days, Super Dooper don't want to risk an open draw. 

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Another ref howler, he ruled that Keighley had been tackled in-goal and signalled a goal-line dropout.  Player then gives him a serve and gets sin-binned for dissent.  He then gives Bradford a tap restart on the 10m line.  YOU CANNOT DO THAT.  The restart was supposed to be goal-line dropout, the dissent is irrelevant and cannot become a penalty once a different restart has already been given!!  (any refs here to confirm this?)

Didn't see the incident, but the only thing I can think of is possibly a 'shot clock' penalty? I know time can be called off by the Ref in certain situations (I'd be surprised if 'binning' a player wasn't one of them) but not sure whether the shot clock is reset or simply restarts where it left off once time waved back on.

Edit: the page with full shot clock rules appears to be no longer available on the SL website but there is a reference to the shot clock only applying in 'later rounds' of the CC, but no indication of what later rounds means.

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

If you’re suggesting that Super League teams are scared of the lower league teams, the Internet isn’t for you. 

And most people know you are a seed spiller, of course they are not scared so long as all the cards are stacked in their favour, Wigan v St Helens in the second round of the draw? Great for the competition but not for them. 

Just back from a very long trek (as a York-based neutral) to the Recreation Ground to see Whitehaven snatch a 21-22 defeat from the jaws of victory. After the first of Rochdale's two stoppage time tries (making the score 21-16), I'd walked round, from my seat in the main stand, towards the railway end. I was right in line to see the pass that set up Hornets' killer second try under the posts. It was at least a yard forward. Referee Matt Rossleigh was positioned perfectly. How did he manage to miss it? Unbelievable. Overall, a tight, tense battle between two poor teams. Whitehaven, one or two moments aside, were little more than dogged. The Cumbrians defended fairly well - at least until stoppage time, during which both Rochdale's late tries were on the 'soft' side. In the second half, three penalties and a drop goal saw Haven extend a 14-12 interval lead to 21-12. With nine minutes of normal time left, that cushion really should have been enough. Having watched a few Championship games this season, I was surprised what a physically small side Rochdale fielded. In isolated flashes, Hornets produced some nice handling (Dec Kay's try in first half stoppage time rounded off a superb 60-metre movement), but I didn't see anything from them to alter my opinion they'll go down in bottom place, possibly without a league victory to their name. Being a Yorkshireman, I was happy to take advantage of a tenner admission (saving £6) for those arriving before 1pm. A 32-page programme sold for £2.50. The official attendance was 889. I watched the whole of an U13 curtain-raiser between Hensingham and Lowca. Hensingham, 36-0 up at half-time, won 46-4. Best player on the pitch was Hensingham's No 7. Looked a decent prospect!

13 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

I don't know....would it actually help, or should it be  a case of it's time to knuckle down and sort out the issues. Give it a couple of months (no game for 3 weeks now) and re-assess. Grady hung on too long while he was here, and that wasn't helpful, need to avoid similar this time but by the same count Muzza should be able to turn it around (unless there's something going on we don't know about)...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Archived