Toulouse Olympique Update

TO coach Sylvain Houles assesses where his team is presently after the first block of games. Weekend off now before receiving  Featherstone on April 6th.

What do you think about the start of your team’s season?
It’s about the progression. We have had resourcing, some players have been shifted back and some changes have been made in our game, particularly in defence, which takes time to put in place. All this means that we were not necessarily well prepared at the time of the start of the season, which may explain the two defeats at the beginning, and then the rise in power, especially on the last 4 games. We’re learning, we’re learning, and we’re moving forward, and that’s my point.

What do you think of the good streak in progress ?
We prefer to take the games one by one. We are on a good show but beyond the victories, we mostly look at content and performance. There are victories but it is mostly the content that satisfies us, especially defensively: we have taken 60 points on the first 2 games and 66 on the last 6, with 2 games where we have not taken any points in the second half and 2 other 0 points on the whole game. It’s a huge satisfaction, something we never did in Championship. That’s what’s important to me after the defence work. Boys understand, assimilate and put it into practice by being thorough. They have confidence in this system and take pleasure in defending our line, not conceding a metre, and that is the philosophy we want to see in our team.

Are there other aspects of the game you want to improve on?
There are lots of them. We can and we want to do better on our tackling technique. That’s the next big job of the month. We also want to improve our options on the last set-plays, in defense or attack; and offensively, we want to progress in execution, speed etc…

Any update on the recruits from the offseason?
We brought in seven new players, which is a first. They have to adapt, integrate and assimilate the way we play, which is not easy at all. But there are already big satisfactions when we see the performances of Dean Parata or Brenden Santi. Ben Evans also showed good things about the last month. Joe Bretherton had arrived during the past season but it really explodes this year. Unfortunately, there are recruits we have not yet seen too much like Patty Vaivai, James Bell, Ilias Bergal or Jordan Dezaria who come back gradually from their respective injuries.

There’s some mishaps but it’s all part of the rugby, and I can see that we’re doing very well in spite of the rotating of the players. We don’t lose quality, and that’s what’s interesting. We also have young people behind us. Mathieu Jussaume, who comes out of the rugby school and the TO training centre has just been integrated into the pro team following the 3 games he played with us and during which he showed a real potential. Now it has to adapt to our requirements, our culture and our values to become a professional.

Next deadline: Featherstone now.
We’re lucky to have two weeks to work at the Featherstone reception. This allows us to take the time to work on things we don’t have time to discuss in between games. And after Featherstone, we still have a weekend off, so I consider that we have 1 month to progress on the points I mentioned earlier. With Adam Innes, we also want to prepare the big Easter block with 3 games in 8 days. We want to increase intensity and workload before because we know that this period, between games, is dedicated to recovery. So we want to make sure that we negotiate this season well. April is important because once we have played the 4 games of the month, we will have finished the first phase and we will be able to assess ourselves and make an update on the 13 other teams.

A final word on the level of the Championship in 2019?
I think the championship has tightened up. The two promoted, York and Bradford, are two teams of quality, Sheffield has also strengthened. All the other clubs we were expecting are there. There are a lot more competitive teams. It’s interesting, it drives us to be consistent in our efforts and comforts us with the idea of taking game after game, not projecting ourselves, because you have to be ready for a big game every weekend, regardless of the opponent.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Seems a pretty fair assessment of the season so far Gordon.

What he didn't obviously mention was the improvement in discipline since Bastien Canet has left the club. The defence has tightened up and their tackling technique looks better, maybe that's to do with the teachings of MMA champion Anthony Rea ? Also, Greg White takes the players for a kind of yoga-type training which incorporates breathing techniques as I understand it. Whether it actually helps or not is a different matter I suppose.

Quite agree about his assessment of the squad, it will be interesting how he shuffles his players when Bell, Dezaria, vavai and Bergal come back nto the reckoning. Jussaume has been  excellent as has Parata, the future looks bright for TO13 at the moment.

Looks like Arthur Romano will rejoin the Catalans due to their injury problems.

The talk of TO playing their games at Stade Toulousain next season will be a big boost to the club also as they relished their chance to play at such a prestigious stadium.

4 hours ago, oiseau said:

What he didn't obviously mention was the improvement in discipline since Bastien Canet has left the club. The defence has tightened up and their tackling technique looks better, maybe that's to do with the teachings of MMA champion Anthony Rea ? Also, Greg White takes the players for a kind of yoga-type training which incorporates breathing techniques as I understand it. Whether it actually helps or not is a different matter I suppose.

Quite agree about his assessment of the squad, it will be interesting how he shuffles his players when Bell, Dezaria, vavai and Bergal come back nto the reckoning. Jussaume has been  excellent as has Parata, the future looks bright for TO13 at the moment.

The talk of TO playing their games at Stade Toulousain next season will be a big boost to the club also as they relished their chance to play at such a prestigious stadium.

Yep there is some discussion on the French forums that an agreement has already been reached for them to play at Stade Ernest Wallon. 

If they were to reach SL and play there I believe they would already become one of the biggest clubs in Europe crowd wise. I can see them averaging 10,000 to begin with. 

Playing at the stadium which is in the centre of town will raise the profile of the club and help them with their bid for a new stadium. 

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

Yep there is some discussion on the French forums that an agreement has already been reached for them to play at State Ernest Wallon. 

If they were to reach SL and play there I believe they would already become one of the biggest clubs in Europe crowd wise. I can see them averaging 10,000 to begin with. 

Playing at the stadium which is in the centre of town will raise the profile of the club and help them with their bid for a new stadium. 

Stade Ernest Wallon would be a huge boost for them. Could help them over the line this season 

In regards to how they've played on the field they've gradually improved over the past few weeks and look like a tougher, bigger and faster outfit than last year. I just hope they can get Vaivai fit and playing good football. His go forward in the pack could help open doors with their expansive play. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Stranger things have happened. It does seem to be neck and neck between the two.

It's early days. I don't think we've seen the best of either team this year and I think Widnes, York, Leigh, Sheffield and Halifax will be in the running at the business end of the season. 

19 hours ago, oiseau said:

Peter - Whats happening with James Bell? A lot was expected of the Kiwi loose forward. Not playing in either Cup competitions could help their cause seasons end. If they finish in the top places come September returning to Ernest Wallon in a play-off game would be great.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

James Bell picked up an injury in pre-season as I understand it. You may recall he was the MOM for Scotland vs France in the autumn international and a lot is expected of him.

I imagine a play-off game at Stade Toulousain would be the icing on the cake !! I know the players were on a high ater the Toronto game because of the big stage they had played on. Stan Robin said it lifted his team to a different level.

I find it strange that the RFL can't, when arranging the fixtures make it so that either TO or the Cats are at home and not BOTH on the same saturday ! The Toronto game for example would have had another couple of thousand speccies at least

I suppose you'll be at VARL this weekend Gordon ? I'll be watching Albi v ASC at the Mazicou, should be a good contest.

Villefranche have parted company with coach Paul Bramley. No great surprises there as he really struggled with communicating with his players plus the injuries hit the squad which only a couple of years ago looked every inch an Elite 1 outfit. The club has lost  some good players and now look a sorry bunch.

7 hours ago, audois said:

Peter - Whats happening with James Bell? A lot was expected of the Kiwi loose forward. Not playing in either Cup competitions could help their cause seasons end. If they finish in the top places come September returning to Ernest Wallon in a play-off game would be great.

James had knee surgery before arriving & should be good to go next week against Fev

I heard that the agreement between the To and Stade Toulousain could go even further than we think. Even more HUGE News might soon come out ..

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

On 3/28/2019 at 9:31 PM, westlondonfan said:

Wouldn’t it be crazy if they pipped Toronto to a place in the Super League?

Toulouse have the greater legacy, local players and a ready made derby.

I think however we may see 2 sides being promoted and an expansion to 14

32 minutes ago, yipyee said:

I can promise you with absolute certainty that there will again be 12 clubs in Super League next season.

10 hours ago, yipyee said:

So no relegation for a SL club then, it's either that or if we keep with relegation it is promotion for 3 teams to take us to 14 in SL. Or is it that the gang of four Leneghan, McManus, Moran and Elstone are liars then as they promised 1 up, 1 down which they then campaigned for and was taken to a vote of ALL member clubs, if as you suggest it may be recinded before acted upon then that will be a calamity, anyway I am with DimmestStar I dont think it will happen and especially so if the two promoted teams were to be T.O. and TWP, and that decision would be taken by ALL the SL chairmen.

Just my opinion.

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So no relegation for a SL club then, it's either that or if we keep with relegation it is promotion for 3 teams to take us to 14 in SL. Or is it that the gang of four Leneghan, McManus, Moran and Elstone are liars then as they promised 1 up, 1 down which they then campaigned for and was taken to a vote of ALL member clubs, if as you suggest it may be recinded before acted upon then that will be a calamity, anyway I am with DimmestStar I dont think it will happen and especially so if the two promoted teams were to be T.O. and TWP, and that decision would be taken by ALL the SL chairmen.

Just my opinion.

Depends who finishes bottom.. It's funny old game RL is

Also the same happened in the championship last year did it not??

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Depends who finishes bottom.. It's funny old game RL is

Also the same happened in the championship last year did it not??

Yes quite correct re the championship, but that was done as part of the SL deal to eliminate the 8's it ensured all Championship clubs still had a number of games to play by increasing the league to 14, if we only had the top 5 play off in the Championship this season by not increasing the numbers to 14, 7 clubs would have only had 23 fixtures.

54 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes quite correct re the championship, but that was done as part of the SL deal to eliminate the 8's it ensured all Championship clubs still had a number of games to play by increasing the league to 14, if we only had the top 5 play off in the Championship this season by not increasing the numbers to 14, 7 clubs would have only had 23 fixtures.

If they can come to such a decision for such a reason on such a short asking of time on that occasion, it's not completely unfathomable that they could do it again.

If a multi million pound Canadian TV deal can be agreed with guarantees that they're in SL for X amount of years, in pretty sure club chairmen would get together and think about it. Same with France if they manage a similar deal on the back of 2 French clubs.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

SL lost the 8s and came up with a different system to continue to contest extra games.

They could do it again at short notice without too much consultation. 

Archived