1895 cup

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No sponsor, no tv deal. Final played in an emptying stadium a while after the end of the Challenge Cup. Tickets not part of season tickets so attendances will be low.

No prize money confirmed. 

The RFL suggested if they cover the costs they may throw a few quid at them.

All very prestigious.

Thought this was a great idea until I found out about the kick off time - RL just does not help its self does it?

They have to put some money up for the winners - even if the final was against say a small champ club and a big league 1 club you would expect them put say 4 to 6K on the gate.

Widnes V Bradford played as a curtain raiser at wembley would absolutely add to the event and massively add to the attendance.

Instead we’ll end up with Sheffield v Batley played infront of 3,000 people in a 90,000 seater arena. 

Clubs aren't gonna want to risk players in a cup with no prize money, tv deal and no buzz about it whatsoever. Typical rfl incompetence at its best

Only way they will pull a decent crowd is a derby. Town V Haven would be good or York V Bradford

I do think that this is a good idea, but the execution is terrible. I'll be at the Challenge Cup final but the only way I'd be sticking around for this is if York are in it. If it was being played before the Challenge Cup final I'd be much more likely to go regardless of who is playing.

The RFL's excuse for the post-CC kick off is pathetic:

The governing body would have preferred the game to be a curtain raiser, however logistical issues have prevented them from making that happen, according to League Express. An RFL spokesperson said: “For a variety of reasons, including the desire to preserve the tradition around the schoolboy curtain-raiser, the need for the Challenge Cup final teams to warm up on the Wembley pitch, and the desire for the game to maximise our moment in the national spotlight through BBC coverage of the Coral Challenge Cup final, the only way of making the day work was for this inaugural 1895 Cup final to be played later in the day.”

It's a nonsense, tbh, they talk about being forced, yet all of the above things are within their control. Their last line is a lie, this wasn't the only way to make it work, this is the option they chose. Because they are imbeciles. 

7 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Being the 1895 Cup, couldn't the competing teams get changed in the local Wetherspoons and make their way to the stadium in a horse-drawn cart.

They couldn't do that. Tim Martin (Pro-Brexit) would block any Europeans from getting changed there, and as he is already anti-RL, that wouldn't help either.

16 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Playing the final AFTER the CC final is weird I must admit.

You misspelt "the daftest most wrongheaded idea ever to come out of the RFL and that's saying something" as "weird".

I'd blame autocorrect.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Workingtom town have declined to participate next year 

Excellent news.

They should be docked league points in celebration.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived