1895 cup

26 minutes ago, themainbrace said:

I went past an AB Sundecks lorry on the way to work this morning and it was advertising the 1895 cup.

And so it should...I'm no fan of that man but he is hard to predict and his coming in at the stroke of midnight with that sponsorship did alot.  He did sponsor it so he should be entitled to use the logo.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, themainbrace said:

I went past an AB Sundecks lorry on the way to work this morning and it was advertising the 1895 cup.

If the competition was sponsored last season,why was there no prize money.Also what was the sponsorship worth.

Or was it a bit of free advertising for Mr Beaumont.

8 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

If the competition was sponsored last season,why was there no prize money.Also what was the sponsorship worth.

There was prize money. Not sure if it was just for the winners though rather than dependent on progress through the rounds.

8 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Unfair to criticise anybody willing to provide sponsorship to RL IMO 

On 02/10/2019 at 18:54, Oliver Clothesoff said:

We’re talking part-time athletes and a Sunday-Wednesday-Sunday schedule, which is likely with the 1895 Cup, is ridiculous for part-time players. 

If we’re getting rid of the Easter Monday game in Super League because of “player welfare”, you can’t expect part-time clubs to play three games in seven days. 

It’s one of the reasons why the 1895 Cup is so poorly executed. 

1million% agree. I have never been a fan of John Kear but when he put out his under 19s and under for the 1895 cup game on a Wednesday night and followed it up in his post match conference saying that he can't expect his team to play 3 games in a week I totally agreed with him. I hope more teams that have the capacity play weakened squads

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

Where is the criticism?I asked what the sponsorhip was worth.Surely all sponsorship is a form of advertising.

As Dave T posted , there was prize money , no idea how much , ask Dave , but it was a ' dig ' , don't deny it 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

As Dave T posted , there was prize money , no idea how much , ask Dave , but it was a ' dig ' , don't deny it 

O.K. possibly a slight dig,but so many on here are criticising the competition because there was no prize money.I just wondered why the prize money wasn't made public.

17 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Complete mickey mouse cup.

Bring back the John Player Trophy and give championship clubs another chance of playing SL clubs

Well, I liked it.  It needs a few tweaks - no midweek games would be good - but it gives Championship clubs a realistic chance of winning summat.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

23 minutes ago, Griff said:

Well, I liked it.  It needs a few tweaks - no midweek games would be good - but it gives Championship clubs a realistic chance of winning summat.

It’s a good competition, or at least could be a better competition. 

The old Northern Rail Cup Finals were usually a great watch, often some of the most entertaining games shown on Sky all year and this could be as good, if done better. 

18 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Complete mickey mouse cup.

Bring back the John Player Trophy and give championship clubs another chance of playing SL clubs

I like the fact that it's possible to carbon date exactly when you started watching rugby league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 02/10/2019 at 15:10, gingerjon said:

Depends how much it is versus what they lose by just taking part in a league season without cup competitions.

My concern is that the cup competitions are part of the season and all clubs should be required to enter. If teams can't raise players for a few extra games a year then that is a concern. If the RFL can't make a decent cup competition attractive and well organised that is also a problem - but it's not one made better by allowing clubs to decide not to bother.

There were plenty of cup competitions in the past that clubs weren't compelled to enter. RL existed before SL, just in case you didn't know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

There were plenty of cup competitions in the past that clubs weren't compelled to enter. RL existed before SL, just in case you didn't know.

I thought all clubs entered the county cups, the Regal Trophy (in its various guises) and the Challenge Cup?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I thought all clubs entered the county cups, the Regal Trophy (in its various guises) and the Challenge Cup?

Captain Morgan trophy, BBC Floodlit trophy.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The first is unknown to me, the second ended before I was born.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The first is unknown to me, the second ended before I was born.

And?

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And?

Neither are relevant to this conversation.

Which is about Workington Town not wanting to play rugby league matches.

EDIT:

Should add: any qualified teams decline to enter those Cups?

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

EDIT:

Stop making up your own rules of debate: I said that there were previous competitions that clubs had declined to enter, you disagreed then switched arguments when shown to be wrong. (Yes, they qualified, if that is relevant.)

I presume that if Workington were invited to compete in a newly created Cumbria Cup and declined then you would equally accuse them of refusing to play RL on demand?

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

EDIT:

Considering Wigan got off lightly for deciding not to bother playing Widnes in a Super League game (wasn’t it supposed to be televised too?), I’m not sure what punishments you’re wanting for a part-time side not taking part in an optional competition. 

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Stop making up your own rules of debate: I said that there were previous competitions that clubs had declined to enter, you disagreed then switched arguments when shown to be wrong. (Yes, they qualified, if that is relevant.)

I presume that if Workington were invited to compete in a newly created Cumbria Cup and declined then you would equally accuse them of refusing to play RL on demand?

I’ve seen them in the Cumbria Cup since you mention it. BNFL sponsored it.

But, in summary, two cups from forty plus years ago that you can’t find any teams declining to enter are not relevant.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Considering Wigan got off lightly for deciding not to bother playing Widnes in a Super League game (wasn’t it supposed to be televised too?), I’m not sure what punishments you’re wanting for a part-time side not taking part in an optional competition. 

I can’t remember what their punishment was. I do remember stating they should forfeit the competition points.

20 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You're wrong there, Johnny.

The Captain Morgan Trophy was for the eight quarterfinalists of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Cups.  If you got that far, you were in it. You couldn't say no.

Not sure about the BBC Floodlit Cup but I think you could only get out of it if you didn't have lights.  I wasn't into reading the Official Guide at that time.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived