1895 cup

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

You're wrong there, Johnny.

The Captain Morgan Trophy was for the eight quarterfinalists of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Cups.  If you got that far, you were in it. You couldn't say no.

Not sure about the BBC Floodlit Cup but I think you could only get out of it if you didn't have lights.  I wasn't into reading the Official Guide at that time.

One year the floodlit trophy final was played in the afternoon ? 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Griff said:

You're wrong there, Johnny.

The Captain Morgan Trophy was for the eight quarterfinalists of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Cups.  If you got that far, you were in it. You couldn't say no.

Not sure about the BBC Floodlit Cup but I think you could only get out of it if you didn't have lights.  I wasn't into reading the Official Guide at that time.

Nope, you opted in, not out.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I’ve seen them in the Cumbria Cup since you mention it. BNFL sponsored it.

But, in summary, two cups from forty plus years ago that you can’t find any teams declining to enter are not relevant.

Who says that I can't find any?

What I can't find is any point in discussing issues with somebody who changes tack, issues of debate and throws straw men up at every obstacle.

I trust that you actually watch RL from time to time.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 hours ago, Scubby said:

Miner's strike leading to Mr. Heath's 3 day week, so there was no electricity to be wasted on frivolities like rugby. Bramley's only ever trophy I think?

58 minutes ago, JonM said:

Miner's strike leading to Mr. Heath's 3 day week, so there was no electricity to be wasted on frivolities like rugby. Bramley's only ever trophy I think?

Correct, they beat Widnes at Widnes. The Captain Morgan Trophy was played at Salford, Warrington beat Featherstone 4 - 0.

On 06/10/2019 at 17:53, Scubby said:

Nothing to do with the RFL.  That was the miners' strike.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived