1895 cup

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

You cant blame Workington and others for not wanting to play after this years mess.

I can and I will.

They should be docked league points.

As a rough estimate, any and all they collect next year should be docked.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Lounge Room Lizard said:

why?

Because they are a rugby league club who appear to have decided that playing rugby league is too much bother.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Because they are a rugby league club who appear to have decided that playing rugby league is too much bother.

But the RFL have made up this Cup with poor planning and didnt bother to invite all the lower League sides this year. And no doubt Workington would struggle field a full team mid week for an away game in London or somewhere South of Sheffield. The 1895 Cup was a joke this year and was not something that a team like Workington could benefit in any way.

Just now, Lounge Room Lizard said:

But the RFL have made up this Cup with poor planning and didnt bother to invite all the lower League sides this year. And no doubt Workington would struggle field a full team mid week for an away game in London or somewhere South of Sheffield. The 1895 Cup was a joke this year and was not something that a team like Workington could benefit in any way.

It's okay.

They've made the decision that playing rugby league matches is something for other rugby league teams to do. They can, I don't know, watch midweek soccer and marvel at a sport where amateur and semi professional teams can raise a side more than once a week when required.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It's okay.

They've made the decision that playing rugby league matches is something for other rugby league teams to do. They can, I don't know, watch midweek soccer and marvel at a sport where amateur and semi professional teams can raise a side more than once a week when required.

They have struggled the past couple of years to get 17 players for playoff games on a weekend. They have no doubt looked at this and seen that getting a team out to play midweek in Sheffield, London etc would be unlikely and have decided they will not enter. There is no rules that force them or anybody else to play in the 1895 Cup. Asking Semi Pro teams (some no better than amateurs) to travel a few hours and play a couple games midweek, is not really a good option and player welfare again is ignored.

Didn't Workington only field 14 vs the Thunder in a play-off game because some players were on a stag do?

They are beginning to sound a pathetic club.

7 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Didn't Workington only field 14 vs the Thunder in a play-off game because some players were on a stag do?

Really? I played the day after my stag do for my amateur club as did the couple of guys who went on it. 

Didn't last very long and it wasn't a good idea... but I still had that commitment to my team.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

Nothing worse than coming up with a good idea and then not following it through properly.

How good would something like. Bradford v Leigh curtain raiser be to the cup final?

Now we’ve got teams not even wanting to participate. Our sport doesn’t half let itself down with decision making at the top level. 

6 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Really? I played the day after my stag do for my amateur club as did the couple of guys who went on it. 

Didn't last very long and it wasn't a good idea... but I still had that commitment to my team.

Was reported on Forty Twenty podcast.

13 minutes ago, Leonard said:

If you class players recovering from cruciate operations, shoulder reconstructions, concussion, suspension, retirement and other injuries as going on a stag do then suppose your correct. But hey ho don’t let the truth get in the way of your comments.

3 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Nothing worse than coming up with a good idea and then not following it through properly.

How good would something like. Bradford v Leigh curtain raiser be to the cup final?

Now we’ve got teams not even wanting to participate. Our sport doesn’t half let itself down with decision making at the top level. 

Workington aren't a top team.

Some clubs declined to participate last year (Skolars, Coventry, Crusaders) because long distance mid-week trips for part-time players were going to cause difficulties. I can imagine that's also true for Workington Town. Disappointing, but understandable. 

3 minutes ago, IanMac said:

If you class players recovering from cruciate operations, shoulder reconstructions, concussion, suspension, retirement and other injuries as going on a stag do then suppose your correct. But hey ho don’t let the truth get in the way of your comments.

They managed 17 the week before.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Some clubs declined to participate last year (Skolars, Coventry, Crusaders) because long distance mid-week trips for part-time players were going to cause difficulties. I can imagine that's also true for Workington Town. Disappointing, but understandable. 

I'm less and less convinced we should be accepting of it as an excuse from any club.

6 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Certainly did, last 17 fit players we had, but unfortunately 2 picked up injuries and 1 got suspended. 17 - 3 = 14, 1 of whom certainly shouldn’t have played but due to the circumstances put his hand up. 

24 minutes ago, IanMac said:

That could take a bit of recovering from...

25 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Amazingly, and I will keep this in the dumbest speak I can as you are obviously hard of thinking, some of those 17 were included in the list of injuries.......I know thats hard to believe.

21 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm less and less convinced we should be accepting of it as an excuse from any club.

So you want the club punished for breaking absolutely no rules whatsoever. Thats a great idea and not at all draconian.

Common sense would have had this competition as a bit of a pre-season competition, a bit like the old Northern Rail Cup. 

Toronto and Toulouse aren’t going to compete in it, so that leaves 23 non-SL sides. You could then add the NCL winners or any side you fancy, Elite 1 winners/Red Star/Irish/Scottish sides etc to make it 24 sides. 

Split the 24 into eight groups of three. Have the group games before the Championship/League One season starts and the QF’s, which will be made up of the eight group winners before the season starts too. That means you’ve only got to shoehorn two games into the season somewhere before the Final. 

Some nonsense spoken on here. Pretty sure Workington had an injury crisis which meant travelling with 14.

In any case, in theory the 1895 is a great idea. But not if you provide no travel funding, no prize money, midweek games and an empty Wembley experience. Its no wonder clubs don't want to play in it. 

Archived