Golden Point

I'm a fan and can prove to be an exciting end to the game. It should be rolled out across the championship and league 1 not just super league. Great end to the game today. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a draw. In the majority of Golden Point matches the game turns into a procession of drop goals and becomes a game that is refereed and played completely differently than the 80 mins before.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not a fan and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a draw. In the majority of Golden Point matches the game turns into a procession of drop goals and becomes a game that is refereed and played completely differently than the 80 mins before.

I was going to say you won that argument but as you are happy with a draw........

I’m a huge fan of it. Our sport needs exposure.

A run of the mill end to the game would get no media traction.

The end of tonight’s game will be played over and over this evening on SkySportsNews and has attracted huge attention on social media. That’s what matters.

2 minutes ago, Cdd said:

The end of tonight’s game will be played over and over this evening on SkySportsNews and has attracted huge attention on social media. That’s what matters.

Already been featured in there bulletins 

6 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Out of how many games? Read the opening post..

The opening post has nothing to do with what you said. You said they are one offs and won't be repeated again. As it has already happened twice there is a strong likelihood that it will.

57 minutes ago, Damien said:

The whole of the last 7-8 minutes was both teams playing towards the sticks for a drop goal.

Golden Point resembled exactly the last 7-8 minutes of the game. 

The only difference was Brad Dwyer hit a crazy shot which went over. 

Great way to end the game. Drama, the fans reaction, the coaches reaction, the players reaction, the media reaction.

You don’t get any of that with a draw. 

Im not a fan of the 'Golden Point'.....

Inside 80 mins of Rugby, both teams know it's at stake to try and land a Drop Goal. To extend the match, to a 'we all know both teams are shaping up to position for a drop goal' is not a good way to decide the outcome in my opinion. I'd rather see great hands, passes and attempted tries....not shaping up for drop goals. Just my thoughts. 

If I'm to nitpick, I felt it kind of undercut the drama of the drop goal shootout that took place in the last 5 mins or so. I suppose because it no longer becomes 1 in 3 shot at victory, but 50/50

Did they toss a coin to decide who kicked off? I can't remember but I think they did

I wonder if they ever thought of simply extending the game by a maximum of 10 mins, rather than having a restart

I like it. Both games we've seen with it this year have ended with players and fans celebrating like they've won the Cup. You can tell winning it that way really means something to people and adds much excitement to the game. Anything that makes the game more exciting I would say is a positive. I didn't watch the game yesterday cos I was busy but when I checked the score and saw it had gone to golden point I stopped what I was doing immediately and found a stream on my phone to watch it. Just shows the excitement of it right there. 

As a result, I am happy to see a draw. It doesn't happen often and when it does, both teams have played out a close came and deserve to walk away with something. 

But you cannot argue with the theatre on show with that last kick... the unexpected result and the emotion. It brings something more newsworthy to the sport, we wouldn't have seen a draw on the news bulletins but we will see that kick.

All things considered, as it is a relatively uncommon, I am happy with the golden point being introduced. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

As a result, I am happy to see a draw. It doesn't happen often and when it does, both teams have played out a close came and deserve to walk away with something. 

But you cannot argue with the theatre on show with that last kick... the unexpected result and the emotion. It brings something more newsworthy to the sport, we wouldn't have seen a draw on the news bulletins but we will see that kick.

All things considered, as it is a relatively uncommon, I am happy with the golden point being introduced. 

Yep, agree with this. Nothing wrong with a draw, but I don't think GP cheapens the game. 

And the footage of Furner watching the kick is a classic, and has been shared widely on Twitter, you can't buy that sort of promotion, so GP already added something to the sport there. 

8 hours ago, Cdd said:

This is the 2nd time this has happened and I have seen absolutely no more media traction than a draw or a normal exciting finish to a game. It was repeated no more on Sky Sports news than any other close exciting game. Rule changes shouldn't be about gimmicks as a lame, lazy attempt to get exposure, which this doesn't even do anyway.

I wasn't intially a fan of GP. However I feel it adds something to the TV product and is good for SL. It does create drama and a tense finish.

My Wife who is not a sports fan found the last 10 mins very interesting because of the no draw rule.

The Leeds players did celebrate in a big way and it does add something. 

Only suggestion I could add is follow NFL and have the rule both teams have to have one possession before you can win with  A DG however a Try or Penalty count even on first possession. It would encourage tries. 

I would not have it below SL though on the grounds the teams are semi pro by large and players don't need more minutes to get injured or mess with travel schedules. 

Personally I would do without it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a draw. If we are going to have it, I'd like to see a system where both teams get a league point if the game goes to golden point, with the eventual winner getting an additional point. Really harsh on Cas to come from 20-4 down to tie the game in normal time and get nowt.

2 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

Personally I would do without it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a draw. If we are going to have it, I'd like to see a system where both teams get a league point if the game goes to golden point, with the eventual winner getting an additional point. Really harsh on Cas to come from 20-4 down to tie the game in normal time and get nowt.

That is what I've always said too. If we are to have it then the losing team deserves a point for the draw after the 80 mins.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

That is what I've always said too. If we are to have it then the losing team deserves a point for the draw after the 80 mins.

That might be a better way of doing it certainly. 

The only potential risk would be it might make the extra time quite half @rsed if both teams knew that they'd already had a point. Making it all or nothing at least compels them to take it seriously. Equally would the fans stick around for the extra period of a regular season game if it's just to see if their team goes home with an extra point?

Yup, needs to be all or nothing for me.

I think it could be tweaked, and there have been some decent suggestions. Some ideas:

1) - Both teams to get at least one set of posession.

2) - play 5 mins minimum and whatever the score is then is the result. Sudden death including drop goals from minute 5 onwards.

3) Sudden death for tries only in the above scenraio

I was also thinking last night, maybe there is a case for not stopping the game at 80 mins. Just sound the hooter, let the teams know it is now sudden death, but if a team is pressing the line and winning the territorial battle, then they have the advantage. The game just goes on until we get something. I'm not sure it is necessary to stop the game, toss for a kickoff and then restart. It could flow more nicely.

But, I enjoyed it, I wish it had gone on a bit longer (so would be supportive of the 5 minute thing), but draws always feel a bit of a let down, I like sport being about winners and losers. I've never felt satisfied with a draw tbh.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I was also thinking last night, maybe there is a case for not stopping the game at 80 mins. Just sound the hooter, let the teams know it is now sudden death, but if a team is pressing the line and winning the territorial battle, then they have the advantage. The game just goes on until we get something. I'm not sure it is necessary to stop the game, toss for a kickoff and then restart. It could flow more nicely.

That's not a bad idea at all. One of the things I don't like about Golden Point is that it can leave a very flat ending. It is awful when there is a coin toss, a team win the coin toss then gets the ball and kicks a 40 metre drop goal within a minute without the other side touching the ball. Your idea does sound better as it takes away the element of winning and losing the game based on a coin toss with no recourse

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That's not a bad idea at all. One of the things I don't like about Golden Point is that it can leave a very flat ending. It is awful when there is a coin toss, a team win the coin toss then gets the ball and kicks a 40 metre drop goal within a minute without the other side touching the ball. Your idea does sound better as it takes away the element of winning and losing the game based on a coin toss with no recourse

Yes, the game was enthralling last night at the end, and the tempo and pace is completely altered by stopping it. Leeds would have had first run last night, but it would have been from their own line from a handover. 

The stoppage and kick off process was probably longer than the actual period of extra time last night.

Archived