Unfulfilled talent

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Stuart Fielden had his upward trajectory ended by one Willie Mason blow to the head. After that he looked as though he’d been Space Jam’d and had all his talent taken away from him. 

Ohh the good old days, I miss them badly.

Peacock runs in and puts a hands up and on his toes Mason on his knees!

No red or even yellow but rather a quick pen and get on with it.

Now the game is full of football wannabes diving all over the place and flopping around like fish out of water to steal penalties.

Regarding wasted talent: the worst ones are those that have it taken away from them by no fault of their own. Barba I could care less about but the likes of Currie and Ward of this current generation and possibly Johnstone. The way they get injured it's near impossible for them to get into a full rythem.

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

While I think the effects of that incident are a little overexaggerated, let's say I agree with you.

My point is that everything he achieved before that did not represent unfulfilled talent.  Plenty of very very good Rugby League players would have been delighted to achieve 35 international caps.

Didn’t Stuart Fielden also take losing his mother very badly which impacted on his career too?

rldfsignature.jpg

Joe Tamani - played a season here, a season there, looked promising but quickly faded from view.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On the flip side, Joe Bullock, rejected by Leigh, didn`t give in, was an absolute revelation at Barrow, now tearing up SL and a future  international barring injuries. Someone who has got every breath out of his talent. It can be done. Same he is a ginger, can`t have everything !!

8 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Ohh the good old days, I miss them badly.

Peacock runs in and puts a hands up and on his toes Mason on his knees!

No red or even yellow but rather a quick pen and get on with it.

Now the game is full of football wannabes diving all over the place and flopping around like fish out of water to steal penalties.

Regarding wasted talent: the worst ones are those that have it taken away from them by no fault of their own. Barba I could care less about but the likes of Currie and Ward of this current generation and possibly Johnstone. The way they get injured it's near impossible for them to get into a full rythem.

Whilst I agree a bit of biff is ok when both parties are ready for it, punching an opponent who isn't expecting it or elbowing / forearming them in the face (like Mason did to Long in the same match) should be red card offences and have no place in the game. (Possibly a discussion for another thread)

The injury point is a really good one and I agree completely.  It must be soul destroying to have a talent and have it taken away through something you cannot control.

Wasted talent - I always though Hudson Smith could have been a great player if his heart had been in it.  He was excellent at Salford and in patches at the Bulls.  Then he chucked it in to go travelling I think?  To be fair that is better than just taking a wage and not putting the effort, in so fair play to him.

51 minutes ago, Rawschach said:

Whilst I agree a bit of biff is ok when both parties are ready for it, punching an opponent who isn't expecting it or elbowing / forearming them in the face (like Mason did to Long in the same match) should be red card offences and have no place in the game. (Possibly a discussion for another thread)

The injury point is a really good one and I agree completely.  It must be soul destroying to have a talent and have it taken away through something you cannot control.

Wasted talent - I always though Hudson Smith could have been a great player if his heart had been in it.  He was excellent at Salford and in patches at the Bulls.  Then he chucked it in to go travelling I think?  To be fair that is better than just taking a wage and not putting the effort, in so fair play to him.

Yeah agreed, dirty is dirty. 

Just see the game losing a bit of the testosterone old school values and the PR generation getting it's grip.

Those in charge of the club's looking at the round ball game and using it as a template to extract what they can from this game by hook or by crook.

It's so easily eradicated too.

No place for dirty, but won't disagree with the Australian commentary that says if Mason gets hands in his face he can retaliate and if that results in Peacock putting Mason on his knees so be it.

6 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Just see the game losing a bit of the testosterone old school values and the PR generation getting it's grip.

Those in charge of the club's looking at the round ball game and using it as a template to extract what they can from this game by hook or by crook.

No place for dirty, but won't disagree with the Australian commentary that says if Mason gets hands in his face he can retaliate and if that results in Peacock putting Mason on his knees so be it.

I far preferred the way David Kidwell educated Mason to the Peackock version. Completely within the rules, and left him dazed on the turf with a few choice words ringing in his ears.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mick Crane, most talented forward in the 70s early 80s, had everything in his locker, just wasn't committed, on his day a world beater but literally went missing from the club for periods at a time.

More recently, Paul King, superb ball handling forward, made one GB appearance but should have been more, lost everything he had due to gambling and other vices.

16 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

The game has lost its testosterone due to something and it's not the rules themselves nor the repercussions of foul play. Players can still do damage legally, stuff that really makes you look like you're in beast mode, it's that players don't, a significant portion simply don't have the heart to run it in full tilt and not slow up just before point of contact. 

How often do you see a forward bend their backs and absolute smash an opponent to the ground leaving them dazed through the whiplash as well as winded? I think the last time I saw a Hull player do it live was Houghton on Sam Moa 2 years ago, superb tackle it was. When was the last time a player got absolutely ragged around like a doll? When was the last time you saw a player give a massive flat hand to the chops that destroys the would be tacklers face and bowls them over and simply runs over the top of them

One of the things that annoys the hell out of me is the missed opportunity to take out the opposing halves, time and again a player makes the ground to the kicker on the last but simply does a little grab, what the actual ####! Smash the twonk, if you've made the ground they're a legitimate target, they are unable to defend themselves due to commit to the kick so are exposed, use that to crack them right in the midriff. A few of those and that soon changes how they get the ball away and sometimes they'll go missing and don't want to know. It's a missed opportunity to do legitimate damage to your opponents IMHO.

Shayne Williams at Dewsbury. Signed Shayne and Darren Fleary on the same day. Shayne had more talent, size, speed and skill than Darren. But Darren has the work ethic. ReLly think Shayne should have been an international player if he’d had the work ethic of Darren. Best natural talent I’ve seen at Dewsbury in 30 years. 

Rangi Chase, never seen such an array of skills on the pitch, and he'll never have a single trophy to show for it, too many poor decisions.

I don't watch much of St Helens but would Daniel Richardson count? Seems a decent player but now at Leigh and from what I've read hardly setting the championship alight.

Anthony Stewart and Karl Pratt, two more with a sparkling start to their careers, then downhill.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 3/30/2019 at 9:45 AM, Oliver Clothesoff said:

He would and could have been on the level of Peacock or could have moved to Australia like Morley, Graham etc prior to that series. He come back a shell of a man. 

It had very little to do with that and a huge amount to do with the death of his mother shortly after or that's what I'm led to believe. All players have a shelf life and all kinds of things end it.

22 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Michael Jackson - The future of second rowers and years ahead of his time but such bad luck with injuries never got anywhere near his potential.

Thats not really what this is about is it. Jackson whilst at Wakefield most certainly did hit his potential with a GB call up - careers ended by injury are not the same as not reaching your potential as the former is pure bad luck. At the same time the exact same thing happened to Nigel Wright who's potential was enormous but who's bones were frail.

Archived