Unfulfilled talent

On 3/29/2019 at 9:03 PM, dkw said:

Barry Williams, possibly the most talented Cumbrian player I've ever seen. Had the opportunity to go to one of several top clubs desperate to sign him but was happy to stay in West Cumbria. I've never seen anyone pass the all at the line as well as him. 

What did they call the scrum half that was at Town after Boxer, Howard Burns was it? from what I remember had the talent to go to the top but never got anywhere near it

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Milner.  GB Academy player of series v Australia. Played for Scotland. Tipped for big things at Huddersfield then left for Halifax and after a year or so was playing Pennine League 4 for Greetland Allrounders! Had the Talent, but not the commitment or heart to use them.

19 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

What did they call the scrum half that was at Town after Boxer, Howard Burns was it? from what I remember had the talent to go to the top but never got anywhere near it

Yeah hes one of my first rl heroes, got call ups to GB training squads but his off field erm.... Exploits put paid to that. 

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Thats not really what this is about is it. Jackson whilst at Wakefield most certainly did hit his potential with a GB call up - careers ended by injury are not the same as not reaching your potential as the former is pure bad luck. At the same time the exact same thing happened to Nigel Wright who's potential was enormous but who's bones were frail.

Sorry I didn't understand what the actual criteria were as in my opinion Jackson could have been an even better player than he were if it were not for injury problems that hammpered him throughout his career.

11 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Sorry I didn't understand what the actual criteria were as in my opinion Jackson could have been an even better player than he were if it were not for injury problems that hammpered him throughout his career.

Your right all I'm saying is that thats a different issue. Right now Tom Johnstone has not yet reached his potential, if he recovers from this injury and has some luck he probably will, if he doesn't he certainly won't. I suppose with these players its the case that they simply couldn't reach their potential rather than they did't if you get what I mean.

39 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Scott Moore could be another. Youngest player to make his SL debut and had lots of ability but never really fulfilled it, despite a stint in NRL. 

It’s whats between the ears that counts, as they often say

Saw a quote recently but can't remember where or who by - Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Gary Wheeler would be my pick. As a youngster he had everything, electric pace, good hands, great side step. Sadly his body just can't handle the weekly rigours of such a tough sport and he can barely string more than a couple of games together before another spell on the sidelines injured. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 3/30/2019 at 8:32 AM, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Bobbie Goulding threw the latter stages of his career away and went from Saints to bouncing around Wakefield, Huddersfield and the lower leagues. 

I remember when he played for us (hudds) was still about 2-3 moves ahead of the rest of the team.

Ian Bell. All the physical attributes and skill to be a world beater, sadly an absolute head case.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

On 3/30/2019 at 12:21 AM, RSN said:

From my own experience one would be Ian Bell who played for Barrow around when we won the championship in 2009. 

Literally impossible to tackle 1 v 1 due to his pace and strength. Could score 4 tries on his day but odd the field problems meant he could never give it a proper go. 

You'll get OF going with this one! ?? 

He could be absolutely awesome, but was a bit of a handful off it as you say!

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

There are some quite successful players who fit the bill here. Someone like Greg Alexander is a good example. At his peak he was possibly the best player in the world, but it was only a couple of years. Injury and personal tragedy ruined the second half of his career, and stopped him from having the career his talent suggested he could have had. 

And as great as his career was, another name I could mention here is Kieran Cunningham. He could've been a great in the test arena too, but I'd say at that level his talent went largely unfulfilled.

12 hours ago, The Vet said:

I always thought Dale Cardoza had the talent but never fulfilled it

I spoke to one of his ex team mates at Fax and the way he described Cardoza was the ultimate athlete who had no clue whatsoever as to what he were doing on a rugby field.

36 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

There are some quite successful players who fit the bill here. Someone like Greg Alexander is a good example. At his peak he was possibly the best player in the world, but it was only a couple of years. Injury and personal tragedy ruined the second half of his career, and stopped him from having the career his talent suggested he could have had. 

And as great as his career was, another name I could mention here is Kieran Cunningham. He could've been a great in the test arena too, but I'd say at that level his talent went largely unfulfilled.

Alexander had a pretty good career.

He was Dally M Halfback of the year in 1985, 1989, 1991.

As you say when his younger Brother Ben died in 92 he was never quite the same player afterwords he was totally devastated, the same could be said about Mark Geyer his brother in-law.

I agree about Cunningham his Test appearances were limited in a 16 year Club career

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Yeah Alexander had a wonderful career. It just could've been a lot better unders different circumstances. At his peak in 1990-91 his blend of speed, class, leadership and game management has been matched by Lockyer and hardly anyone else. I think he was 27 in 91? The game was his to dominate at that point, but just never happened (not a criticism mind you - I do understand the factors at play)

As has been mentioned already by two or three folk, Ian Bell. What a player he could have been but probably also the last player you'd want to catch you glancing at him in a boozer. I think he was banned sine die twice which is some going.

Neil Puckering also springs to mind, a beast of a forward with a massive physique but somehow never made it count. He was another one you wouldn't want to upset.

And to complete a trio of nutters, Rob Wilson...such an unassuming name but what a maniac.

All three let their tempers get in the way of promising RL careers, although Puckering was around for a while.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

How about John Bulman, a winger blessed with explosive pace and no little power? Very highly rated over three seasons as a youngster at Whitehaven. That spell included a season in Division One. Bulman, from Mirehouse, played in the Cumbria team (alongside Tickle, Walker, Fox, Gorley et al) that won the county championship and in 1980 beat a Test-strength New Zealand touring side. Packed in rugby league to become a Royal Marines Commando. Is the Bulman now on Haven's books related to him?

Another with a Whitehaven connection: centre Vince Gribbin, a Hensingham ARLFC product. Super fast, picked for GB when Maurice Bamford was coach. Wanted to leave Haven, who slapped a ludicrous price tag on his head. In the resulting stalemate, Gribbin 'stayed away' for years. Not quite the same - though still pretty useful - when he came back, again with Whitehaven.

Must add one of my all-time favourite players: speedy Huddersfield centre Ian Thomas. Could he have 'done a Carl Gibson' if he'd left Fartown (where he was awarded a testimonial) for a better club?

Archived