Unfulfilled talent

20 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

How about John Bulman, a winger blessed with explosive pace and no little power? Very highly rated over three seasons as a youngster at Whitehaven. That spell included a season in Division One. Bulman, from Mirehouse, played in the Cumbria team (alongside Tickle, Walker, Fox, Gorley et al) that won the county championship and in 1980 beat a Test-strength New Zealand touring side. Packed in rugby league to become a Royal Marines Commando. Is the Bulman now on Haven's books related to him?

Another with a Whitehaven connection: centre Vince Gribbin, a Hensingham ARLFC product. Super fast, picked for GB when Maurice Bamford was coach. Wanted to leave Haven, who slapped a ludicrous price tag on his head. In the resulting stalemate, Gribbin 'stayed away' for years. Not quite the same - though still pretty useful - when he came back, again with Whitehaven.

Must add one of my all-time favourite players: speedy Huddersfield centre Ian Thomas. Could he have 'done a Carl Gibson' if he'd left Fartown (where he was awarded a testimonial) for a better club?

They are father and son

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived