England RU coaching team at Warrington

Seems to have slipped by unnoticed, but Jon Clarke took Eddie Jones and the England RU coaching team to the HJ last week.

All done under the guise of a friendly visit and a bit of a publicity stunt to share ideas, but I just hope Jones doesn’t get any ideas on Austin bearing in mind that he is eligible to play for England! ?

Jones has a bit of a background in RL in his youth I think, and is obviously a big fan of league talent...

EDIT:   Rumours that Shaun Edwards was seen in the Tesco car park shaking hands with Karl Fitzpatrick have so far proved unfounded. ?

33 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I suspect England's set up is far superior to Warrington's so the 'where' is immaterial. In an open exchange of ideas I'm sure the Wolves would learn plenty from the behemoth that is England union.  

If warrington were learning from the English RFU they would be at their facilities.  But some of the Rfu coaches were at Warrington so implied benefit for them. All sports visit various other sports to learn techniques even if it of small benefit to their sport.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

What do Warrington get out of this?

At first glance I would say it was just a publicity stunt to generate a bit of interest and put the Warrington brand ‘out there’ into the fairly substantial local RU community and neutrals.

However, they don’t really seem to have pushed the event into the press or even done much social media coverage of it.

Maybe it was simply Jon Clarke looking to explore new ideas with Jones and Borthwick.

I know a lot of water has passed under the bridge, people should not be held responsible for the actions of previous generations, time heals old wounds and as a sport these events offer the chance to show we are a mature, confident and open sport.

But I would still have told them to #@%$ off.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I know a lot of water has passed under the bridge, people should not be held responsible for the actions of previous generations, time heals old wounds and as a sport these events offer the chance to show we are a mature, confident and open sport.

But I will still have told them to #@%$ off.

I think a few people dislike Jones because of his comments in this Daily Mail report:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-3632219/England-rugby-coach-Eddie-Jones-slams-rugby-league-Sam-Burgess.html

But then again, it’s the Daily Mail and the article almost looks like it was written by a child such is the plethora of spelling and grammar mistakes e.g. ‘would of’ instead of ‘would have’.   Embarrassing, spiteful vitriol from what looks like an ill-educated pompous t@@@er who refers to Union as simply Rugby as if it is the only code.   He’s also called Cameron Phelps so maybe he’s a disillusioned ex-SL import ?

With that in mind I’m not sure whether to read too much into Jones’ comments at the time.   He certainly doesn’t shirk selecting ex-league players out of spite.

Regarding the attitude of RU types, most are decent normal folk who like their own sport.   The problem is that the ones I’ve met who don’t fall into the good category are despicable bigots.

I’ll keep an open mind on the working relationship between the two codes here.   Jones seems happy enough to work alongside Farrell Snr and other league bred individuals so I don’t think he’s as pro-RU as the press would have us believe.

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

If warrington were learning from the English RFU they would be at their facilities.  But some of the Rfu coaches were at Warrington so implied benefit for them. All sports visit various other sports to learn techniques even if it of small benefit to their sport.

Paranoia. Supposing it was classroom based, did the rfu take away the names of the manufacturers of the desk and whiteboard?

11 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I think a few people dislike Jones because of his comments in this Daily Mail report:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-3632219/England-rugby-coach-Eddie-Jones-slams-rugby-league-Sam-Burgess.html

But then again, it’s the Daily Mail and the article almost looks like it was written by a child such is the plethora of spelling and grammar mistakes e.g. ‘would of’ instead of ‘would have’.   Embarrassing, spiteful vitriol from what looks like an ill-educated pompous t@@@er who refers to Union as simply Rugby as if it is the only code.   He’s also called Cameron Phelps so maybe he’s a disillusioned ex-SL import ?

With that in mind I’m not sure whether to read too much into Jones’ comments at the time.   He certainly doesn’t shirk selecting ex-league players out of spite.

Regarding the attitude of RU types, most are decent normal folk who like their own sport.   The problem is that the ones I’ve met who don’t fall into the good category are despicable bigots.

I’ll keep an open mind on the working relationship between the two codes here.   Jones seems happy enough to work alongside Farrell Snr and other league bred individuals so I don’t think he’s as pro-RU as the press would have us believe.

Jones was originally a Leaguie and only got into Union when he was forced to play it at school.

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

With Jones, I've come to realise he says alot of things in the spirit of sledging. He's a big cricket fan and probably fancies himself as a bit of a old school wind up merchant. 

Hes said lots of stupid things that make him sound like a school master telling off year 11.

I don't really pay a great deal of attention to what he says, I mean he just said he would not want the Lions job in Union however who knows if he meant it!

Hes also very pragmatic and would happily pick any League player / foreign born player who qualifies on nationality he could if they were good enough to play in the required position at international level. 

I'm not a big fan of his words, however I can see he's a very good coach particularly over an initial 18-24 months. Probably a very good man motivator.

I think beyond that period that he Is too draconian with the players and this doesn't seem to work so well in the long term. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Paranoia. Supposing it was classroom based, did the rfu take away the names of the manufacturers of the desk and whiteboard?

Paranoia, I don't actually care if they were at Warrington, I was just replying to your assumption. 

12 hours ago, Dave T said:

Meh. Doesn't sit right with me, although if the team gets anything out of it fair enough.

Wouldn't let Eddie Jones into my home though.

I might let him into my home, but I'd take time to count the silverware before and after. :wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Disappointed in any club, my own included, who accommodate that Jones after his comments about RL in the past.  

Why - what has he said ?

14 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Why?

If I had access to a well regarded coach ( different sport ( even British Cycling) or otherwise) I would like they to come to see what we do and maybe make a few suggestions ( what they changed that worked, etc) rather than go there and see a training set up with multi £million facilities I have no hope of replicating.

5 hours ago, kiyan said:

Why?

If I had access to a well regarded coach ( different sport ( even British Cycling) or otherwise) I would like they to come to see what we do and maybe make a few suggestions ( what they changed that worked, etc) rather than go there and see a training set up with multi £million facilities I have no hope of replicating.

If you think Warrington were gaining anything from Eddie jones you are dreaming, it was a only because of the John Clarke connection. And the multi millions project of the English RFu may be fantastic facility but Warringtons facilities are more than adequate for a club of their size. 

19 hours ago, kiyan said:

Why?

....and a fond welcome back to the rfu propaganda rep....

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

Archived