Batley Boys' Home Venue

9 hours ago, Davo5 said:

It's still awful and didn't they play there first season in the NCL at the nearby union club 

As an experiment, Underbank played a game - a one-off, I thought - at Lockwood Park (Huddersfield RU) the season it became obvious they were going to secure promotion to the NCL Premier. It wasn't repeated, for some reason, despite talk of their own ground being unsuitable for top division NCL.

At Batley Boys last Saturday, I was told the distance between changing rooms and pitch is just inside the maximum permitted by the NCL.

Friend of mine was at Barrow Island last Saturday. He was told Island hope before the end of this season to move onto the refurbished pitch (subject of a long legal battle) outside the Rating Lane clubhouse. No more NCL games on the bizarrely sloping pitch on the other side of the hedge. It's the oddest pitch I've ever seen, in either rugby code.

23 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

As an experiment, Underbank played a game - a one-off, I thought - at Lockwood Park (Huddersfield RU) the season it became obvious they were going to secure promotion to the NCL Premier. It wasn't repeated, for some reason, despite talk of their own ground being unsuitable for top division NCL.

At Batley Boys last Saturday, I was told the distance between changing rooms and pitch is just inside the maximum permitted by the NCL.

Friend of mine was at Barrow Island last Saturday. He was told Island hope before the end of this season to move onto the refurbished pitch (subject of a long legal battle) outside the Rating Lane clubhouse. No more NCL games on the bizarrely sloping pitch on the other side of the hedge. It's the oddest pitch I've ever seen, in either rugby code.

Stand behind the sticks at one end at Barrow Island you can only see the players at the other end from the waist upwards and behind the sticks at the clubhouse end there is a fence which is no more than 600mm from the dead ball line surprised nobody has got injured because of this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2019 at 09:24, Mr Partridge said:

Good team,good people,well organised.However the venue at Halifax Road is not fit for purpose especially at the bottom end where there is potential for a kick at goal to end up on the 268 bus to Heckmondwike

Never once have I seen a problem with the ball landing on Halifax Road. If it was to end up on the 268, the bus would be most likely be travelling towards Dewsbury. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, neutralfan said:

Do Batley Boys play next to Staincliffe cricket club?Thinking of going on Saturday to Hensingham game.

Yes, that's right. Mount Cricket Club (Halifax League) now use the Staincliffe ground. Plenty of parking on the adjacent 'A' road. There's parking at the social club, by both pitches, but signs suggest spaces are restricted to its patrons.

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Yes, that's right. Mount Cricket Club (Halifax League) now use the Staincliffe ground. Plenty of parking on the adjacent 'A' road. There's parking at the social club, by both pitches, but signs suggest spaces are restricted to its patrons.

Yes. Other than 3 spaces for the cricket club the car park is for the WMC only.

37 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Yes. Other than 3 spaces for the cricket club the car park is for the WMC only.

We played there a couple of weeks ago and people were still looking for parking spaces 15 minutes after kick off.how Batley meet the minimum NCL standards is beyond me.

45 minutes ago, billy the bison said:

We played there a couple of weeks ago and people were still looking for parking spaces 15 minutes after kick off.how Batley meet the minimum NCL standards is beyond me.

When I went (for a game against Millom), the Batley Boys people blamed Batley RLFC for pricing them out of hiring Mount Pleasant. They mentioned a £500-a-game fee - simply not affordable. As you say, though, it's hard to see how the pitch at Staincliffe, not least because of the long walk from the changing rooms, meets the minimum standards for the NCL.

Archived