Wigan Warriors forward Gabe Hamlin fails drugs test

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think players who get tested for recreational drugs should get a short ban and be educated to discourage them getting in that situation again. However players caught with performance enhancing drugs in their system should get a long ban.

1 hour ago, Nate90 said:

I think players who get tested for recreational drugs should get a short ban and be educated to discourage them getting in that situation again. However players caught with performance enhancing drugs in their system should get a long ban.

I think the aim of the ban for recreational use is nothing to do with it's effect on the game, but the example that's being set to the general public.   Young kids look up to their favourite players as idols, and therefore being a role-model you're expected to set an example that doing illegal things is wrong - whether that's drugs, rape, theft, drink-driving, domestic abuse or whatever.   Laws are there for a reason and usually because they were demanded by the needs of the general population.   If someone has a problem with that law they should challenge it via the appropriate channels rather than assuming they have some higher authority based on their personal opinions.

If RL is less tolerant of recreational drug use than other sports for the purposes of setting a good example to children, then I have no problem with that.  It sets us apart as a community sport for the people.  RU and football can learn a lot from us.

I think they give long bans even on recreational stuff so as not to trivialize it for fans/youngsters.  I agree that in no way do you get any advantage if you've taken any recreational drugs and to that extent it's not cheating, which logically should lead to more lenient sentencing.  But there's other things at play I think.

2 hours ago, Nate90 said:

Cocaine is not even a ban under WADA when taken out of competition. Only when it’s found in the system in competition are WADA involved. Otherwise it’s just up to the club and the league as to what they want to do. 

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

I think they give long bans even on recreational stuff so as not to trivialize it for fans/youngsters.  I agree that in no way do you get any advantage if you've taken any recreational drugs and to that extent it's not cheating, which logically should lead to more lenient sentencing.  But there's other things at play I think.

Isnt it also due to some recreational drugs can be used to mask performance enhancing drugs?

40 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

I know someone who takes cocaine regularly, and he tells me there is no way it can help you perform better at sport?

Who does he play for? ?

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Isnt it also due to some recreational drugs can be used to mask performance enhancing drugs?

Hadn't heard that one and don't know if that's biologically possible.  But, if right, it seems a bit crazy where you are going to get a long ban for the recreational drug anyway.

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Hadn't heard that one and don't know if that's biologically possible.  But, if right, it seems a bit crazy where you are going to get a long ban for the recreational drug anyway.

Probably because when cocaine is detected the athlete usually claims it was taken recreationally and ends up with a (up to) 2 year ban as opposed to the  (at least) 4 years for other Peds

7 hours ago, Tonka said:

In cricket Alex Hales got a 21 day ban and would have been played at the world cup had it not been leaked https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48136883

41 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Cricket obviously not as arsed about it as rugby then!  Whether or not something's been leaked shouldn't really affect sentencing.

Rugby union don’t even publish if any players have been caught on recreational drugs for first offence.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Rugby union don’t even publish if any players have been caught on recreational drugs for first offence.

I assume there was a sudden sensationalist article covering two pages in the Daily Mail titled "The Drugs Shame of Rugby Union'...?   Oh, there wasn't, you say? ?

• 9 months later...

This was the second news item on my news feed this afternoon, saw large photo of a Wigan player and thought 'Wow,  RL in the news, wonder what that's about?'  Then I read it.  

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

2 year ban from Rugby, he maintains he didn't take cocaine and it got in his system after kissing a woman who had taken it.... Yeah, right. 

The Richard Gasquet defence.  He got away with it in tennis I think.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

11 hours ago, dkw said:

2 year ban from Rugby, he maintains he didn't take cocaine and it got in his system after kissing a woman who had taken it.... Yeah, right. 

He must have been snogging El Chapo in drag ?

I trust that there are no Colombian hitmen using this forum.  If so my account has been hacked and someone else posted this!!!!!

Archived