Wigan Warriors forward Gabe Hamlin fails drugs test

3 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

I am aware of a RFU lv5 player who is serving a drug (cocaine) driving ban but still playing- surely having been convicted in a court for taking drugs if that person plays in a sport with a drug policy that should be automatically triggered and an additional sanction handed out in accordance with the sports drug policy

But there is the RU carpet for it to be swept under

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/05/2019 at 10:23, DoubleD said:

Rugby union don’t even publish if any players have been caught on recreational drugs for first offence.

Lawrence Dallaglio got stripped of the England RU captaincy and didn't get picked again for a year just for saying he had taken cocaine once let alone caught taking the stuff. And that was over 20 years ago!

9 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Lawrence Dallaglio got stripped of the England RU captaincy and didn't get picked again for a year just for saying he had taken cocaine once let alone caught taking the stuff. And that was over 20 years ago!

What's that got to do with the RFU's policy of not making first time offences public?

And this is what actually happened with Dallaglio, perhaps the nuance was too subtle for you to grasp though YK

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=7223

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What's that got to do with the RFU's policy of not making first time offences public?

And this is what actually happened with Dallaglio, perhaps the nuance was too subtle for you to grasp though YK

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=7223

The policy, if it exists, didn't do the England RU captain much good did it?! That was my point. 

34 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

And a new, much bigger, carpet has been obtained since 2000

Only 25 posts to go ?

I wonder if the Wigan Club will now hold special match day inclusive events for 'anti drug' taking and its dangers, which ruins lives, and in other cases, ends them very sadly. Perhaps they could target particular players guilty of the offence from visiting teams and make a public example out of them? 

2 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

I think the most embarrassing thing for Gabe Hamlin is saying he got the cocaine in his system for kissing a girl he met from a dating app .A young fit athlete who needs a dating app to get a date with a woman .....really?

why not?

im not so lucky but stuff like tinder its easy to score a hookup with zero effort.

19 hours ago, aj1908 said:

So players get stood down for drinking alcohol too ?

Alcohol is legal. I used to drive past Burtonwood  Brewery. Normal decent people worked there. Cocaine is a part of a violent murderous illegal worldwide conspiratorial crime that destroys people and communities. 

No comparison.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Alcohol is legal. I used to drive past Burtonwood  Brewery. Normal decent people worked there. Cocaine is a part of a violent murderous illegal worldwide conspiratorial crime that destroys people and communities. 

No comparison.

Aye right ?

10 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

No comparison.

Alcohol worldwide would do more damage than cocaine 

36 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

No comparison.

But you could say that cocaine is part of 'murderous illegal worldwide conspirational crime' because it was made illegal for political reasons and because the US declared a 'war on drugs'. It wasn't always illegal and it is as harmful as alcohol or cigarettes (it's not on the same level a heroin or crystal meth for example). Decriminalising it would do wonders for the economies of places like Bolivia (they are allowing some coca growers to farm under licence now I believe).

But we've been told that alcohol is 'legal' so that all fine then.

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Just looking into this. The thread title is Wigan Warriors forward Gabe Hamlin 

I've looked on the Warriors website and can find no mention of him on the list of players. Is he a Wigan Warriors forward? 

That's true now, but not when the thread was started 10 months ago.

1 minute ago, LR23 said:

But you could say that cocaine is part of 'murderous illegal worldwide conspirational crime' because it was made illegal for political reasons and because the US declared a 'war on drugs'. It wasn't always illegal and it is as harmful as alcohol or cigarettes (it's not on the same level a heroin or crystal meth for example). Decriminalising it would do wonders for the economies of places like Bolivia (they are allowing some coca growers to farm under licence now I believe).

But we've been told that alcohol is 'legal' so that all fine then.

No its not all fine and no one says it is. 

The fact that it was once not illegal but now is illegal is no argument. 

The death penalty was legal once, but now isn't. 

Sending kids up chimneys to clear the soot from people burning coal that was mined by ten year olds was once legal, but now isn't. 

You are fooling yourself and doing untold harm to others by promoting the decriminalisation of drugs, recreational or otherwise. 

Just now, JohnM said:

No its not all fine and no one says it is. 

The fact that it was once not illegal but now is illegal is no argument. 

The death penalty was legal once, but now isn't. 

Sending kids up chimneys to clear the soot from people burning coal that was mined by ten year olds was once legal, but now isn't. 

You are fooling yourself and doing untold harm to others by promoting the decriminalisation of drugs, recreational or otherwise. 

To clarify - I'm not promoting anything (merely saying it isn't 'black and white') and should have linked back to my previous post where I explained why I thought a two year ban for recreational drug use was way over the top. 

33 minutes ago, LR23 said:

To clarify - I'm not promoting anything (merely saying it isn't 'black and white') and should have linked back to my previous post where I explained why I thought a two year ban for recreational drug use was way over the top. 

understood.

Archived