Wigan Warriors forward Gabe Hamlin fails drugs test

1 hour ago, RMBJ said:

Without going into the science, the collisions don't aggregate impact speed as you think they do. 

Myrhbusters explain it in this video using cars.

erm, ok, not really pertinent to what I said but thanks anyway.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The night before? I think we would probably see the end of amateur RL if that were the case

As I've gotten older the hangovers have got longer, would we need 2 days? 3 just to be safe?

Amateur games are much more difficult to police, but the pro/semi pro game should definitely have alcohol checks. 

Just now, scotchy1 said:

For how long?

I think if we are getting in to the stage where cocaine 3 or 4 days ago is dangerous then it's difficult not to see alcohol 2 days earlier or caffeine a few hours earlier etc are losing the same danger.

I think we are also then looking at some of the aspects of player preparation that are part and parcel of the game. We cant look at cocaine use a few days ago as worthy of years out of a career when we have players getting pain killing injections etc before games. 

I've no idea, because, and this might surprise you, I`m not a neurologist, nor have I done any decent studies on the impact of alcohol on brain and motor function. What I would do, and again this might surprise you, is leave that kind of decision making up to the experts.

47 minutes ago, dkw said:

I've no idea, because, and this might surprise you, I`m not a neurologist, nor have I done any decent studies on the impact of alcohol on brain and motor function. What I would do, and again this might surprise you, is leave that kind of decision making up to the experts.

So why did you say with such certainty earlier what the effect of taking cocaine is on the risk of injury on a rugby field? I agree with your last point though, lets leave it to the experts.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

So should alcohol be banned?

Not in my opinion, no.

Players, coaches, mangers etc should be collectively able to control themselves, though. Should be able to detect and fix any players who are problem drinkers.

2 hours ago, LR23 said:

So why did you say with such certainty earlier what the effect of taking cocaine is on the risk of injury on a rugby field? I agree with your last point though, lets leave it to the experts.

Because its common sense that anyone who has taken a drug that effects their capabilities, brain and motor functions etc will inherently mean theres more risk on the pitch for players, including himself. 

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Because its common sense that anyone who has taken a drug that effects their capabilities, brain and motor functions etc will inherently mean theres more risk on the pitch for players, including himself. 

Cocaine is a stimulant. Alcohol is a depressant. They have very different effects. I'll leave it to the experts to determine what impact these effects have on rugby players. My common sense says someone playing with the flu would be as much of a danger as someone with a small amount of cocaine metabolite from the night before in their blood but what do I know - I'm no expert.

Archived