Women's Rugby League film to premiere in London

‘COMPELLING, INSPIRING, EMPOWERING’: NEW WOMEN’S SPORT FILM HITS UK CINEMAS

A new women’s sport documentary film will premiere in London next week (Monday 8 April) following rave reviews at international film festivals and preview screenings.

Power Meri (Powerful Women) follows the journey of Papua New Guinea’s first national women’s rugby league team from inception to the world stage, and explores the broader social impact of sport on women’s empowerment, community attitudes, and national identity against the backdrop of a country often described as one of the toughest places in the world to be a woman.

Fresh from selection at international film festivals in Australia, the USA and Tahiti, Power Meri is hitting UK cinemas on limited release. The film’s director Joanna Lester, a London-born sports journalist, moved to Papua New Guinea (PNG) in 2014 and embarked on the film two years later. 

“Living in PNG and hearing the inspiring stories of female rugby league players, who were changing attitudes about women in their communities through playing the country’s male-dominated national sport, I always thought their voices deserved to be heard on a wider scale,” Lester said.

“When it was confirmed that PNG would form a national women’s team, the Orchids, to participate in the world cup for the first time, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to document that journey and share the story with national and international audiences.

“Since we released the film in Australia and PNG, the response has been overwhelming. The story of the Orchids seems to have truly inspired people within and outside of sport. As a filmmaker, it’s a privilege to be able to share a raw and real story from behind the scenes of women’s sport in a country that is rarely portrayed on the big screen. I hope the story of this extraordinary group of women, who have put their hands up to be part of something ground-breaking, despite criticism and barriers, will inspire audiences everywhere.”

Power Meri premieres in London on Monday 8 April at Odeon Covent Garden and will screen at selected cinemas across England. Tickets are only available online at: uk.demand.film/power-meri/

Come on West Yorkshire, let's show some solidarity with the PNG Rugby League girls (the Orchids).

It takes a hell of a lot of courage to strike out against any national tradition, in particular against the traditionally subservient role of women.  Good for them! 

I have just booked two tickets for the Huddersfield screening.  Huddersfield Odeon, Wednesday 17th April.

It's a snip at £9.75 per ticket + 85p booking fee.

When I went to read the posting, they needed 44 more bookings to confirm the Huddersfield screening.  My booking took that down to 42.

Let's see if we can make that 0 by tomorrow morning.

Go girls!   Go Orchids!

Edited 4 minutes ago by Honor James

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

“Since we released the film in Australia and PNG, the response has been overwhelming. The story of the Orchids seems to have truly inspired people within and outside of sport. As a filmmaker, it’s a privilege to be able to share a raw and real story from behind the scenes of women’s sport in a country that is rarely portrayed on the big screen. I hope the story of this extraordinary group of women, who have put their hands up to be part of something ground-breaking, despite criticism and barriers, will inspire audiences everywhere.”

I have no doubt that this film will inspire people from outside of the sport - and this will be the same as last year,when the television film,made by another female,and one who was,and is,a very strong union follower,and despite the public response was just seemingly ignored by the sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43307033

Was Carolyn Hitt even invited to the Challenge Cup Final?

The sport needs the better gender in positions of influence in the sport.As soon as possible. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Looks like only one screening, London, has sold enough tickets to go ahead. The others up north haven’t hit the threshold yet but they are all quite close.

Warrington - 28 to sell

Manchester - 71 to sell

Huddersfield - 40 to sell

4 days to go....

it was been shown in Australia a good year or more ago and available on websites . have to agree its a good film not just from the rugby league angle but also the society over there and some of its attitudes to women  and how those girls are helping to change it

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

16 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I have no doubt that this film will inspire people from outside of the sport - and this will be the same as last year,when the television film,made by another female,and one who was,and is,a very strong union follower,and despite the public response was just seemingly ignored by the sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43307033

Was Carolyn Hitt even invited to the Challenge Cup Final?

The sport needs the better gender in positions of influence in the sport.As soon as possible. 

I agree with almost all you say there.

Sadly, however (though a woman myself) I am not so sure you have the right adjective when you say "the better gender".

This same posting fron Drake, and my first reply (see above) were also posted on the Womens Rugby League section of the Totalrl.com forum, and . . . . . . .

wow     ?      oh my!      ?

. . . . . they sold 2 tickets overnight.

I'm sure the PNG girls will be overwhelmed by this avalanche of support from the women of West Yorkshire.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

Archived